March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (Gunning Bird, 3 invisible), 346 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,001
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
cadet Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Copied and pasted from where I posted elsewhere and posted all at once, but I thought there'd be some here who'd appreciate this; I'm a bit excited about it!:

I'm a sucker for the old, odd, weird and wonderful. Ideally it has hammers and/or damascus barrels. However some of these pieces come to me looking a little the worse for the century and more of wear. So I have some projects.
I also have a bit of spare time just now, so I thought I'd have a crack at refinishing an old damascus barrel.
Here's some pics:
before

some of the pits dressed down, and polished progressively finer back to 600 grit

dunked in a copper sulphate solution for a while:

Sludge left by the CuSO4 bath:

Sludge wiped off; the pattern is already showing through.

The actual browning solution has now been applied, and I just have to wait for it to rust, rub the rust off, reapply the browning solution etc through a few more cycles.
The other bits:

after first rusting, approx 24 hrs:

After rust rubbed back:

Justhave to keep rusting and rubbing for a while now...
Done:

After half a dozen or more cycles of rust, scrub, degrease, rust etc and the final scrub and degrease, I dunked it in a bath of hot water and bicarb soda to stop the rusting action. Dried it, rubbed a bit of linseed oil to highlight and protect it.

Came up better than I thought it would:

It's possible to see the join just ahead of the forend where a different, thinner riband was joined to the thicker breech end.

[img]http://i606.photobucket.com/albums/tt146/cadet450/IMG_0910_zps17591974.jpg[/img]
Some observations:
I was a bit concerned that the environment I had the barrel sitting in (cool, dark, dry) and this time of year (warm, dry) would not be humid enough to promote the rust I needed for browning. That proved not such an issue.
The value of thorough attention to detail, in the filing and polishing of the surface is important (but I suspect I didn't need to go as fine as I did); a few pits I could have taken deeper, some blemishing around the breech end I could have hit harder, as they've left some unsightly darker blemishing.
I had thought I wasn't going to get much pattern/contrast/colour, even after the final scrub (and it's not the most exciting pattern either), but I stopped as the barrel appeared not to be changing much after about 6-8 cycles. It turned out better than I'd thought after rubbing with linseed oil, though not as brown as I'd hoped.
Not sure whether it's "greys" in the metal, or whether I should have scrubbed harder after the copper bath, but in bright sun there's golden flecks in the metal ahead of the join near the forend; that they don't appear at the breech end makes me believe it's in the way the metal took the finish, rather than my attention to detail in re-finishing.

Last edited by cadet; 01/02/13 07:16 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Nice!

Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm impressed. Very nice work. Wait till Drew sees it!
Jim

The 2nd Amendment IS an unalienable right.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Great photos and description of your process. Thanks for sharing it.

When an old man dies a library burns to the ground. (Old African proverb)
Sidelock
Sidelock

Wow!
Nice Job!!!

Ask not for whom the dog barks, it barks for thee...
NRA Life Member
Sidelock
Sidelock

Well done and thank you.
Here's another tube segment joint (also Laminated Steel). The patterns join in a straight line weld suggesting that one tube was flared, the other coned, and then butt welded together.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Nice job, but from my experience the Copper sulfate solution is a waste of time. If you have to use it try about a 5% solution for 10-15 minutes. I do not believe it gives and edge on etching as some of the instructions would leave you to believe.
Nice Browns are really hard to get without a high humidity atmosphereI have found.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Angier did not speak well at all of the use of Coper Sulfate in bluing. One of its problems is it will "Flash Plate" steel but not with a very adherent plate. Before the development of efficient & inexpensive layout inks many machine shops used to keep a vat of Copper Sulfate solution to dip parts to be layed out in. The layout lines could then be made in the copper & after machining it was easily removed.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
Sidelock

Because Laminated Steel has a higher ratio of steel to iron, mixed together, and ‘puddled’ before being formed into rods it is harder to get a distinct contrast; esp 'browning' vs 'black & white'. Try a crolle damascus barrel next smile

Sidelock
Sidelock

Great work! Thanks for sharing.

Franchi

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.