April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (KDGJ, ClapperZapper, SKB, Jimmy W), 421 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,470
Posts545,148
Members14,409
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 37 1 2 3 4 5 6 36 37
Sidelock
Sidelock

First, kudos to you, Mr. Hurst! What a wonderful project with such talented players. If this gets off the ground, I may just have to have another round of selling from the gun cabinet...

I'll throw in with the 16/20 on the XX frame crowd. I know that the sub-gauges are all the rage now, but realistically, more people are apt to go to the 16/20 for the majority of their hunting. Besides, Uncle Dan never produced the 28 and .410, although this may not make a hill of beans to most folks. I just know that my 16 GE with the 26" tubes on the XX frame is one sweet bird gun! All my best to you in your endeavor.

Regards,
Larry

Best Regards,
Larry
Sidelock
Sidelock

The builders may want to copy the long thread on frame sizes from the "old" Lefever forum. If all information submitted was correct, the XX frame was of more than one firing pin separation dimension. As we all know, firing pin separation is what makes a frame suitable for whatever gauges. It is the dimension that the rest of the frame is built around. The size of the breech balls is secondary to pin separation. Firing pin separation can and should be sufficient for 16 gauge use, and can be without being too bulky for 20 and 28 gauge use. Using Parkers and Lefevers for an example, 16 gauge guns were commonly made with firing pin separation of as little as one inch. However, Parker made at least one ten gauge gun on a frame with firing pin separation of 1 1/16" firing pin separation, so it may be possible to make a 16 with separation of less than one inch. In my opinion, the 26" barrel option could be canned for a 30" option. A.H.Fox for one example, commonly used cut 28" barrel sets to fill orders for 26" open bored guns when finished 26" barrel sets were in short supply. There shouldn't be a need to stockpile the recently less than popular 26" barrel sets for the new Lefever when existing 28" sets can be cut to 26" for those who prefer them. Long chokes should insure that at least an improved cylinder and modified will remain in a barrel set cut 2 inches.

RMC Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Ken, Petes referenced an article on the Wesson. Awhile back,did you not post a photo of a Wesson action with your engraving? I don't mean to get off track of this thread, but your photo really highlights the work of two of our outstanding gun talents. Can't wait to see the project when Doug starts to let the chips fly. Lastly, You can't have started this project without having firmed up the details of the engraving to go on #1001. Lets have it. Or do you want "OPINIONS" Randy

RMC
Sidelock
Sidelock

Sounds very ambitious and very interesting.

I like to see people with vision and the energy to actually put their ideas into motion.

Many people would like to build their own gun and you will offer a siund platform on which to do so. Good luck with the project.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Oscar used to use the rude crude Stevens single trigger design on Parkers. He said it was very reliable and easy to make.
bill

Ken, I am beyond impressed by what you're doing. I think the 16/20 is a great choice, particularly a properly-scaled 16 of modern materials fully capable of digesting SAAMI stuff.

If no heat treating after machining is contemplated, why not keep the tolerances below 0.0015"? When I visited Ivo Fabbri 23 years ago, he was operating at or very near the 0.0005" Steve Earle is proposing. His mantra was/is CNC machine to super-fine tolerances, then use highly-skilled hand work only for visible beautification and polishing a few critical surfaces.

Incidentally, Tulio was in college (grad school?) at the time and was installing a DNC system to serve the CNC-controlled shop during his summer vacation. Steve might find this interesting, if he isn't already a student of Fabbri's pioneering techniques.

Last edited by Fred; 03/14/07 11:11 AM.

Fred
Sidelock
Sidelock

Great project idea! I agree with others for need of 16/20 combo,double triggers and extractors.
Can't wait to see projected estimates on pricing.

Craig

Boxlock
Boxlock

Would the 28 ga be on a smaller frame?

Shawn Hoover
Black Forest Kennel
of the High Plains
Booker TX
http://www.pointinglabrador.com
Sidelock
Sidelock

I wish you well, Ken. It wasn't clear, at least to me, but I assume this will be a side-plate Syracuse action gun? My only suggestions would be two triggers, extractors and barrel lengths of 28" and 30", forget the 26". I'm excited to watch how this develops. Other thoughts are that Lefever made many more 12 ga. guns than any other. There was a reason for that and still is.
Best wishes

> Jim Legg <

Sidelock
Sidelock

Ken - Admittedly, I know very little about Lefevers. You asked for suggestions and you are getting them. I'm sure you are seeing many of the same requests that Fox, Parker, Smith, and Ithaca did. I'm also sure you realize this project can't be all things to all people. It's smart to plan now for things you may want to offer in the future, but I would suggest that you use the KISS method for the first offering. I'm not comparing the gun itself with the RBL, but even with all the resources available to Tony Galazan, look at how few options are offered on the RBL. The options that are offered seem to be ones that don't require a lot of extra machining, hand fitting, or inventory. I would like to see this project be a huge success, and, IMHO, a compromise between the number of options offered and simplicity of logistics will be necessary, at least at the outset. The fact that you will leave the engraving, and wood to the individual owner leads me to believe you've considered this, but wanted to let you know there are others out here who understand that also.

LCSMITH
Page 4 of 37 1 2 3 4 5 6 36 37

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.