March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (Jimmy W), 834 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,015
Members14,391
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 37 1 2 3 36 37
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Informational additions to this thread that will help us preserve our 2nd Amendment rights are welcomed and appreciated.

I will move any post from this thread that does not appear to be headed toward that target.

Amendment II

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Thank you,

Dave Weber
doublegunshop.com
DoubleGun Evangelist
In Charge But Not Responsible
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have to say that after Sandy Hook, I was open to consideration of some type of gun control measure. I was shocked, as all were, at the violence on children. It struck a very sensitive chord in me.

In the heat of the first calls for gun control I found this Harvard Law Study on whether gun restrictions are effective at controlling violence. It is a well written, cogent study that brought me around. Here it is: Harvard Study

What I see as damaging to our debate is the use of inflammatory language and calls of anarchy. I don't think anyone in the gun control crowd will be swayed when we start off with proclamations that this is going to lead to a Stalinistic or Nazi-like state. Perhaps it would, but given the nature of our Republic, it isn't really likely.

I'm hoping that this post is along the lines of what Dave is looking for, providing information that can be used in civil discourse on why gun control, however well intended, isn't likely to lead to the result of reduced violence.

Rob.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The links below will get you an email address or snail mail address for the senate & congress.

I think the more pro-firearm messages they get the better. When I send messages to senators or congressmen (women) outside of my state I never get an answer so they may just delete them.

Senate

Congress

MP Sadly Deceased as of 2/17/2014

Sidelock
Sidelock

Last edited by Chuck H; 01/10/13 01:46 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Please note this post is an example of what I don't want on this thread. It is comprised mainly of opinion and deemed by me to be not informational.

Unfortunately after reviewing my options I can’t move this post without effecting the posts that follow. Therefore; I will leave it here for now to serve as the example cited…my only other option would be to edit or delete it.
Thank you,
Dave Weber

Dave: Sorry to post off track!
Kevin

Last edited by Hawaiian Uplands; 01/13/13 10:32 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

The terrible incident at Sandy Hook sparked this debate. While there are deeper issues beyond "mass killings", this is worth reading.

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2012/07/mass-shootings-map

Pete

Sidelock
Sidelock

Doug

Sidelock
Sidelock

One of the problems with current regulations is the inconsistent reporting by the states of mental health information.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/12/21/gun-mentally-ill_n_2346162.html

Problems with the NICS database, missing millions of records.
http://www.mayorsagainstillegalguns.org/downloads/pdf/maig_mimeo_revb.pdf

Pete

Sidelock
Sidelock

Yes writing letters and sending emails to your congressmen is a fine idea but I do one better. I live withing 35 miles of the Federal Building in Bismarck where our two senators and one representative have offices. I visit each office in person. True the senators and representative most likely won't be there but their secretaries are. By going in person you are showing real concern on the issue to these people and in my case I usually get a real letter from my congressman. What happens when you walk in the door is the secretary greets you an asks how he/she may help. Be very polite. She takes your name and address and writes down your views on the issue. Then you should watch how your congressman votes. You can see it in the Congressional Record. Now if they vote in accordance with your views you should go back to their office and personally thank them for voting your way. You will be surprised how many miles you get out of a thank you.

Practice safe eating. Always use a condiment.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Continued from another thread.
Whilst agreeing whole hearted with Mr Eales, I think he may have got a date and fact wrong. I believe the first pistol / revolver regulations were brought in in 1917 following the Russian revolution. The upper class, amongst them the politicians were worried about something similar in the UK so passed a law making in necessary to get a licence for the above. Of course anyone who could afford one was of that class so all licences were granted, there was a minimal charge I believe, sorry for being a pedant, I did like that Thomas Jefferson quote, never heard it before, best, Mike.

Mike whilst I may be slightly out in date, the Gun Licence was available to anyone with Fifteen Shillings (About 3.00 US Dollars at that time) Even a relatively poor man could afford that. My Grandfather could, and he was a Poacher way back then, (aside from his day job). The local Policeman (Bobby) knew he was a poacher, but could never catch him at it.

He would hear my Grandfathers 0.410 go off, but when he went to investigate he only found my grandfather walking along the road. Unknown the the Policeman, my ancestor had metal biscuit boxes buried in nearly every field in the local area, and when he shot a Pheasant, Rabbit or Hare they were put into these tins for collection after dark. Had the Policeman looked closely at my Grandfathers walking Stick, he would have found that it was in fact, a walking stick shotgun. (Sneaky). However,the Policeman didn't lose out. The day before Christmas each year grandpa would hang a couple of Pheasants on the door knocker of the Policemans house. lol. He never did get caught. lol. Things were a lot different in 1900.

Harry

Last edited by Harry Eales; 01/10/13 01:58 PM.

Biology is the only science where multiplication can be achieved by division.
Page 1 of 37 1 2 3 36 37

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.