April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (Steve Nash, smlekid, MattH, ClapperZapper, 1 invisible), 498 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,473
Posts545,160
Members14,409
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 37 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 36 37

Ken, this is the project we were discussing yesterday when I had to so rudely leave and tend my color case furnace. I'm still for KISS-Keep It Simple Stupid. DT's and extractors, start with 20 gauge. Base, in the white price 3-5K, wood and engraving seperate. Personally as a thick cover bird hunter, 26" is my "thing", however.... Think you are on to a great idea and that there are many folks who will support you. Best, Dr. BILL ps Parker action should arrive back to you today/tomorrow. "Sweet Elsie" is in the hospital to have her cracks and crumbles glassed!

Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm floored after seeing the Wesson he has on his site...for about $1100. Amazing at twice that price. If he prices the Lefever commesurate with the Wesson, I'll buy one for sure.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Chuck, that price is over a year old and he raised it to $1185. due to all the increases in cost of steels and tooling. The cost of living index also took a jump ---- Steve was sorry he had to raise the price.

I spoke to Steve this morning and urged him to join our merry little group so that y'all could ask questions. He told me he really didn't have much time to get on the computer as he stays slammed but will do so.

Also, I have been offered a XX lughtweight 16 ga. Levefer for Steve to measure for programing. I will send the donor Steves address today and the gun should be off to him within a day or so. SOOOO, looks like we are now offand running with the metal. A friend will be talking to Zoli within a few days to see about making arrangments for the bbl's. I have listened to you guys and decided that a 16-29 ga. bbl is the way to start. The 16 and 20 will fit the same frame.

There is a gentleman who has offered to furnish cases with label for those who want it in either canvas or leather cover. More on this as required.

More to come as it gets to me. Ken

Ken Hurst
910-221-5288
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Chuck, that price is over a year old and he raised it to $1185. due to all the increases in cost of steels and tooling. The cost of living index also took a jump ---- Steve was sorry he had to raise the price.

I spoke to Steve this morning and urged him to join our merry little group so that y'all could ask questions. He told me he really didn't have much time to get on the computer as he stays slammed but will do so.

Also, I have been offered a XX lughtweight 16 ga. Levefer for Steve to measure for programing. I will send the donor Steves address today and the gun should be off to him within a day or so. SOOOO, looks like we are now offand running with the metal. A friend will be talking to Zoli within a few days to see about making arrangments for the bbl's. I have listened to you guys and decided that a 16-29 ga. bbl is the way to start. The 16 and 20 will fit the same frame.

There is a gentleman who has offered to furnish cases with label for those who want it in either canvas or leather cover. More on this as required.

More to come as it gets to me. Ken

Ken Hurst
910-221-5288
Sidelock
Sidelock

Ken:

I think the 16/20 28" or 29" combo is a very good idea. If the price came in at $7-$10,000 for a finished and stocked gun I'll get in the line as soon as you are ready.

Al

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Al, all I will be able to offer is the price on the bbl/action. You would have to pick out your own choice of blank and have whoever do the stocking. The finish on frame would be completed after engraving (if any req.) and you would send that to a metal finisher & pay him for his services. As you can see, you are the one who will determine the final cost.

It was my intention to put this project together with the best people/craftmen --- each doing his own thing and charging for his services only. The idea was to eliminate markup over actual cost for services & save you guys some money. By having each craftsman charg only for his services, you'll save quite a bit of loot. You will also be able to stop and start the project as available money allows but still have gun built to suit you & your taste. PLEASE ---- all be patient with me and those involved as we are trying to get facts and figures together as soon as can be. This will happen in due time. Also, you won't have to put any money down except a deposit for bbl/action. If you change your mind, money will be refunded immediately. I would guess the deposit would be $500. max or less --- that would be up to Steve Earle. He required a $250. deposite on the Wesson action ($1185.)with order and will probably do something the same here.

Steve should be joining us hopefully this evening --- he is wide open to questions. Ken

Ken Hurst
910-221-5288
Sidelock
Sidelock

Ken, a zero frame Parker with pin separation at one inch exactly is a very proper fit for 16, 20, and 28 gauge barrels. The thing that will make a one inch XX frame Lefever a bit slimmer looking than a zero frame 28 gauge Parker is the fact that the Lefever frame tapers in at the front more than the almost slab sided Parker frame does. Make sure your donor frame is an actual one inch pin separation frame. Our thread on the old Lefever forum uncovered the fact that some XX frames had firing pin separation of more than one inch, making the whole frame and barrel assembly more massive than it has to be. In my opinion, the one inch frame is to be preferred over any with a larger separation. Your barrel supplier should be able to make barrels in all three sizes as easily as for just two if the firing pin separation is the same for all three. In addition, some of your contributors seem to thing that a 26" barrel option made from cut 28" barrels has to have a separation between the barrels at the muzzle. That is not true, depending on the design of the barrel assembly. I have Parkers that are cut from 30" to 26" that have touching tubes at the muzzle. Zoli can make your barrel sets the same way if they won't make the three lengths at a reasonable price. My guess is that they will not charge you any more to offer a choice of three lengths than they would charge for just two choices. Yes, 26" should be offered, but so should the very popular 30".

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Bill, thanks for bringing that up --- we have already realized that fact but are welcoming these suggestions. Never can tell when there will be an over looked fact. Dr. Bill has your Parker butt plate and is doing the nitre blue finish on it now. Best and thanks again, Ken

Ken Hurst
910-221-5288
Sidelock
Sidelock

Ken, I hope to have the live fire test as soon as I receive the buttplate. I have one set of barrels in the shop but still have one set at home. The unveiling will probably be at the Southern.

Bill, plan to fire up the nitre blue salts tomorrow. The "Sweet Elsie" had multiple fractures, through and through cracks and some slight case of the "crumbles". She is resting comfortably after the first two procedures and awaits only the final glass bedding of the locks. Have a new 4-40 trigger plate screw, Ken will need to "incise" it a bit to match the rest of the frame.
BILL

Page 6 of 37 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 36 37

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.