April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (Chad Linder, SKB, montenegrin, Roundsworth, Ian Forrester), 1,164 guests, and 7 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,469
Posts545,146
Members14,409
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 37 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 36 37
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Dr. bill ---- the Elsie belongs to me, the butt plate belongs to bill. No matter --- I'm only glad you looked into the action and have done what should have been done, Thank you. Ken

Ken Hurst
910-221-5288
Sidelock
Sidelock

Ken,
I have been out of town for a few days and just saw this post.
Wonderful idea. I would be happy to offer my lawyering skills though I am more of a litigator than a patent attorney. Fortunately, I have friends.
I think your original idea with the 28 should not be shelved so fast. As we all know, the 28 is very popular amoung the have to have it all set. More so I think than the 16.
A gun with all three sets of barrels would be spectacular.
Best, RCC

R. Craig Clark
jakearoo(at)cox.net
Sidelock
Sidelock

Here's the real question. How many of you would sell a Lefever you currently own to help finance this new one? That's a tough one.

Imagination is everything. - Einstein
Sidelock
Sidelock

Ken,
Regarding "The new Lefever."
I do not mean to be presumptious. Many, many know more about this than I. However, never to be particularly shy, my initial thoughts on the project are:
I believe the design should be as simple and straight forward as possible. The more simple the better to actually get the project off the ground. Therefore, extractors and DT should be the original design. However, there is no reason that the design should not be such that, if there is a market for ejectors and single triggers, and someone wants to make them, they should be able to be made to fit.
A true kit gun.
Regarding gauges. I don't really know enough about the specs of the Lefever to say if the XX frame which has been suggested is the best. But, if it is a light frame 20/16 like the Fox built for their guns (and, I also believe Parker used the same frame on different gauges. The smallest used for both the 20 and 16 should be similar.), such a frame should also work fine for a 28. If it is possible to get the firing pins a distance which can be used for all three gauges then that should be the goal. One frame, three possible gauges.
A true kit gun.
Barrels. See if the barrel maker will make barrels available in all three gauges. If not, then your call whether a 20/16 or 20/28. Barrel lengths? Obviously the 28 inch. As to 30 inch or 26 inch for the other, I don't know. Seems that the 30 inch is more popular but I am not sure here. I appreciate a 26 inch and I know some of those folks who shoot grouse, bobwhite, snipe and the like love those short barrels. But certainly at least two gauges and two barrel lengths. Three gauges would be better.
Again, a true kit gun.
It should definitely use the Lefever name but only as a historical reference not to infringe on any trademark/name ownership. More than likely, you can't call it a "Lefever." However, it can probably be labeled "Lefever Patents" or something similar. No reason to not have the name of the creators on there somewhere such as on the barrel flats and water table.
I think financing can be arranged with deposits. Sell the places for specific serial numbers. There are already folks claiming them.
Anyway, a wonderful and exciting project.
I would be happy and honored to help in any way, even if it is just making a deposit on my gun. (Course, I want a cool serial number too.)
Best Regards, R. Craig Clark

R. Craig Clark
jakearoo(at)cox.net
RMC Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Ken, Repeat comment sorry. Any consideration on eliminating the cocking indicators and the exposed [2] set screws in back of the breech head? It would clean up the metal aesthetically and a nicer surface for the engraver. Long trigger guard tang for straight grip stock, or option for it. Randy

RMC
Sidelock
Sidelock

Ken, I have sent you an email (Microsoft Word file) with the thread from the "old" Lefever Arms Company Affiliation forum about Lefever frame sizes and firing pin separation. Let me know if you have trouble opening or reading the file.

BTW, the "old" Lefever forum is now closed. The new name for the forum is, obviously enough, "The Lefever Forum" and the new URL for the forum is http://lefeverforum.informe.com/ .

Best Regards,
Larry
Sidelock
Sidelock

A 29 inch 16 with a four figure finished cost would find an additional buyer in myself.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The "frame size" thread from the old site has been deleted. However, I copied it a couple of weeks ago. I will make any information in it available to the builders. It seems the most common size of XX frame is the one inch pin separation. It is also the smallest pin separation of the known variations in the XX frame. There is no reason to make the separation any smaller in the interests of a lighter gun since it would make it not compatible with original guns. It (the one inch) is the one that should be used since there is some possibility that the new barrels may be fitted to existing XX frame guns, an intriguing possibility, and a chance for the builders to make a little extra money (selling barrel sets). If a customer is interested in making a 28 gauge gun as small and light as possible, he can profile a standard XX frame and reduce the size of the breech balls to suit his own wishes.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Its got to be the exact original, with all stamps and original markings. No cleaning up of the design, the original "Automatic Hammerless" or nothing!!! And separate frames for all gauges, if not, then just the one gauge.
All the best

Sidelock
Sidelock

Ken, Many Kudos on your your new project! I wish you great success.

Page 7 of 37 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 36 37

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.