April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
3 members (Longknife, ClapperZapper, CJ Dawe), 1,303 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,469
Posts545,144
Members14,409
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 37 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 36 37
Sidelock
Sidelock

Ken, this is fantastic. Thank you.

I also think the ordering of barrel sets alone will be a very attractive option for current Lefever xx frame owners, if the entire gun becomes cost prohibitive. A modern 26 or 28" barrel (I would probably have tubes installed) would be a wonderful companion to my current 30" barrel. Put me down for one of those at the minimum. If the 20ga. barrel mates to the 16 receiver without modifications, that will be a very attractive consideration also.

Kudos.

Imagination is everything. - Einstein

Inletting a Lefever stock from scratch is not my idea of a simple task. I think it would be very helpful if a good stocker would get aboard this great project, particularly one who would do whatever the customer requests (of course within reason), at a fair price.

You may well know the "right" wood person. FWIW, I happened to visit the Wenig gunstock site yesterday and it looks to me like they could be one good candidate.

Fred
Sidelock
Sidelock

Fred is right - you need to offer the whole package, albeit piecemiel, for the concept to work.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Many years ago I was involved in a project to adapt high quality stone carving chisels and large wood gouges (1 "+) to pneumatic automotive wrench equipment. The chisels and gouges came from a maker in Italy, the pneumatic coupling was made in California and a "snap on" handle was made by a guy in NY so the tool could be used with a maul or heavy mallet. After doing a set successfully for myself I was besieged by requests to produce them for others. I set up a system, not unlike Ken that had pre-priced the components so that each buyer could deal directly with the component's producers. I am sad to report that I know of only 2, both of which I expedited, out of about 100 orders that got the completed tools. The suppliers, though well meaning had their regular work and would slot this work into their calendar at a first come first served basis. So in some cases it meant waiting a year for the couplings or some of the work from Italy. This was not a business for me, at the time my "business" was carving large stone and wood sculpture, and it was clear that it took someone with a profit motive to get this from one end to the other. For a project like this I would be happy to pay an expert a 10% premium to expedite the process. You do the math ..... on 100 guns it's not a bad paycheck. (keeping in mind that the buyers would still pay the craftsman directly ).

Al

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks for the heads up Mr. Al. I intend to do as you suggest re. keeping everything running smoothly But, won't charge our members a handling charge. I simply wanted to make this Lefever project available to the many that would fall into the average income bracket that I live within. Maybe it's a way of saying thanks for the work tht has been sent my way or the kindness that has been shown me by the members ---- who knows or even cares. But, here it is and at this time the ball has started rolling. I fully intend to do my best to get this project off the ground and flying smoothly. After it is all up and running & I'm not needed anymore, I'll back away. The members of this project will be more than able to carry it on. Thanks again Al and all who have graciously offered their thoughts & opinions --- much appreciated ! Please keep sending in your thoughts & questions. Ken

Ken Hurst
910-221-5288
Sidelock
Sidelock

Im going to state my feeling on "The New Lefever".
I fell Dan was one if not the greatest shotgun maker in the US. I love and respect his guns. Im sure Ill get beat up about what I have to say, but im a big ol boy and I can handle it.

Personally I would have a had time paying for a new gun than I would an original one.

If the gun is to be built, lets please respect Dans gun and only make guns like he built. I dont think Dan built a 28 ga. If a 28 ga. is what you want I think Browning would be more your style of gun not a Lefever. Please NO screw in chokes, Dan would have had problems with that. You have two barrels, you dont need screw in chokes! A single trigger is fine (not my style) but please us Dans trigger. If I see another gold 21 trigger im going to get sick. They look like a big gold tooth hanging down. Please no beaver tail forends!!!!!!!!

Then you need to put alot of thought into the gun, and whice type your going to build. I myself like the hammer guns and the Syracuse guns up to 30,000 serial number range. This is the period when all the changes took place.

What are you going to use for an opener? I know of 4 types.
Thumb pull
Thumb push
Pivot (5 different ones of these)
Standard

What are you going to use for cocking? I know of 5 types.
Side cocker
Cocking rod
Two piece
Small hook
Large hook

What are you going to use for ejectors? I know of 4 types.
Forend
Forend/inframe combo
Inframe
Inframe with cutoff switches

I think the standard opener two piece cocker with inframe ejector guns are the best of Dans work. If these guns are built its the gun I would like to see.

Bob

Another thought, lets use orig. engraving patterens. We dont need more Lefevers out there that look like the one on Bass pro.

Bob

Last edited by Bob Noble; 03/15/07 02:21 PM.

lefeverarms.com
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Mr. Bob ---- what you would like to see and don't want to see is Exactly what we have planed ! I was thinking about a later period gun using all the refinements Uncle Dan used. The piece won't have bat ears/wings but could have all the refinements of an Olympus grade. The engraving and stock will be up to the owner. Fot myself, I will be copying an original pattern for my own gun. Ken

Ken Hurst
910-221-5288
Sidelock
Sidelock

It's a gun - not a religious Icon. Some of us like antiques, some don't want "someone else's gun" that's not an heirloom. I generally fall in the second group. Why recreate something that's already been done exactly? If there are things to improve, improve them. If there are things they never did, it might be nice if someone did them. I think a 28 would be very cool.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

We felt that recreating an improved duplicate of an original would (1) allow a man to build a bespoken gun of his own liking (that could be passed down to his son) (2) allow the owner to have total trust in shooting mordern shells in a gun made of the best modern steels with confidence (3) eliminate the wear on those few remaining ol originals and (4) relieve the owner of originals of the fear and anguish of damaging said gun.

This gun isn't for everyone and that is appreciated. No gun starts life as an heirloom but is developed as it's passed down. I'm not encouraging anyone to accept my desire to build their own gun but believe those that share this interest have the right to order what we can offer at a considerable savings. Please keep in mind that this project will also benefit those that would like to have a 4140 steel bbl for their H grade if their firing pin placement will accomidate the 20 & 16 ga. bbl's/ This will also be a source of rerplacement screws as they too will be duplicated to match originals. FWIW, Ken

Ken Hurst
910-221-5288
Sidelock
Sidelock

Right on,Ken!!!...Geo

Page 8 of 37 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 36 37

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.