May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
4 members (Hammergun, Roundsworth, Ted Schefelbein, obsessed-with-doubles), 414 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,520
Posts545,762
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Sidelock
Sidelock

As one of my illustrious friends tells me " A shotgun without hammers is like a WOman without breasts.

Kinda exaggerated maybe ,but to the point..

gjw Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Mark Larson
Originally Posted By: Franc Otte
I think that a lovely,beautifully made Hammer gun is the bee's bollocks when it comes to art in a gun...

Agree 100%. The only thing I don't like about them is they can be tricky to use in bad weather, since a thumb can slip off a hammer fairly easily if you're not careful. So, I'll likely always keep a rainy day hammerless gun or two in the safe.

Greg, your hammer gun collection is awesome! If you ever want to loan one or two of those 16's to me so I can compare them to mine, I'm your guy.

Thanks Mark for the kind words! Much appreciated. Not as nice as some of the folks have here, but I'm happy with them.

BTW, remember you did some stock work on the Bernadelli and the Franz Sodia for me.

Thanks again!!!

Best!

Greg

Gregory J. Westberg
MSG, USA
Ret
Sidelock
Sidelock

It's better as a Jonesy! I looked for 30 years before I found a nice 12 bore hammer Jones underlever

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I've never used a Jonesy. Are they functionally nicer, or is it mostly an aesthetic thing?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Mark,
For me hammer guns are endemic and have been so since the 1950,s. Not only have they been a joy to own and use,they have also proven over time to be a good investment.For your interest here is a case in point.
During the early 1960,s I was in the Carrs Lane,Birmingham shop of William Powell, talking hammer guns with Mr Powell,senior[Father Of Peter].At that time Powell,s had a Purdey 12G Pigeon hammer gun,with Whitworth steel Barrels on offer price 90 pounds!!!I vividly recall Mr Powell describing quality vintage hammer guns as ;"The most under valued antiques in the Britain today". How right he was. To day this gun would be worth 80-100 times the 1960,s asking price.

Roy Hebbes
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Stallones
As one of my illustrious friends tells me " A shotgun without hammers is like a WOman without breasts.

If I remember right, Edward VII compared a hammerless gun to a spaniel without ears.

And, speaking of efficiency, few of us can match the scores of lord Ripon, and he used nothing but hammer guns. Of course, few of us shoot with a set of four and three loaders smile

Sidelock
Sidelock

Well Mark you know my track record with hammerguns blush. I'm doubly smitten by the back-action guns. With their rounded action in 16 ga there's nothing as sweet to carry through the coverts.

Hammerguns and Woodcock just go together.

Rick

LGF Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

It is a chronic incurable disease, spread and exacerbated by viewing the Doublegun BBS. I only need one more hammergun, today.

gjw Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Humpty Dumpty
Originally Posted By: Stallones

If I remember right, Edward VII compared a hammerless gun to a spaniel without ears.

And, speaking of efficiency, few of us can match the scores of lord Ripon, and he used nothing but hammer guns. Of course, few of us shoot with a set of four and three loaders smile

Hi the quote "spaniel without ears" was really said by Edwards second son who would become George V. George V shot hammerguns his whole life and rarely use hammerless guns. He was fond of 16b guns BTW. Edward the VII used hammerless doubles during his adult life as did his grandson George VI.

I have a keen interest in the three Royal cousins, George V, Nicholas II and Wilhelm II. Very interesting fellows and their interactions both as rulers and as a family is fascinating. BTW, they all shot owned and shot Purdeys. among others.

Best!

Greg

Gregory J. Westberg
MSG, USA
Ret
gjw Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Mark Larson
I've never used a Jonesy. Are they functionally nicer, or is it mostly an aesthetic thing?

Hi Mark, they are a very simple action as you may know, very strong actions also. Many Big Game Rifle's have been built on the Jones action.

They look slow to operate, but in fact are fairly easy and fast to open. I enjoy mine when hunting doves, and we all know how doves can be!

You owe yourself to try one someday.

Best!

Greg

Gregory J. Westberg
MSG, USA
Ret
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.