March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (Stanton Hillis, SKB, Jimmy W, 1 invisible), 891 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,016
Members14,391
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Gentleman,

Sorry for the OT question.....

Do any of you know how to get that disgusting cigarette smoke smell out of an old book? Thanks for any guidance.

Kind regards,

Sidelock
Sidelock

Don't be!
If the book is minty and rare, I'm sure you'll put-up with it.
If not, throw the bugger in the recycle bin and put an end to it all!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Good Cuban cigar would take care of it.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Plumber: Most of the odor has probably been absorbed only by the exposed surfaces, and over an extended period, exposure of those surfaces to fresh air in a room with good circulation should cause the smell to fade. Depending on the value of the book, I would also consider lightly wiping the cover and the edges of the paper with Febreeze, but not on something rare (at least without first experimenting on something that was similar, but not so rare or valuable). I also found a description of a more serious approach out on the Web ... it sounds reasonable, but you'll need to judge its value for yourself (see below). Good luck. TT

P.S. -- What's the title you're trying to restore?

"I'd recommend putting the book into a chamber of some sort (I use a large rigid plastic box with a sealable lid) together with a zeolite, such as activated charcoal. I've experimented with several books that smelled musty by wrapping them well in pellon (spun polyester material, sold in fabric stores), then burying the wrapped book in deodorizing cat litter, which has a zeolite in it. After a few days the books smell fine, but as they weren't MY books, I don't know whether they have remained odor free. However, no one has told me the smell came back."

"The very acme of duck shooting is a big 10, taking ducks in pass shooting only." - Charles Askins
Sidelock
Sidelock

I've never tried it on something expensive and rare, but I've improved the smell of several old paper items by burying them in odor absorbing cat litter for about a week. Don't let the cat use this litter while the paper is in it though!!!

Hey Plumber;
I've used this method a few times...Wrap the book in four
layers gauze (cheese cloth or 4x4 gauze pads unfolded etc.
Just make sure all leather/covering/binding is covered by the gauze.
Using enough Arm & Hammer bicarb/soda and depending on size of book and amount of odor etc, place from 1/2 to 1 inch layer in bottom of a container, lay the book on top of this, then cover the book in another 1/2 to 1 inch of bicarb/soda.
Keep covered in a warm place about a week and most of the smoke odor will be adsorbed.
'course as others have said, this advice is sometimes worth only what is paid for it!
Good luck!
Jim W.

All good,
Jim Wilbourne
Sidelock
Sidelock

I got rid of smoke odor in an antique needle point that my wife bought by putting it in a cloth bag and then in a plastic ziplock with cedar chips ...... The smoke odor was replaced by a cedar odor that eventually faded away. ..... The chips went into the fireplace.

Al

Sidelock
Sidelock

I’ve never tried this for cigarette smoke but have done lots of books that have that musty smell from mold. Now I know this kills the mold and the odor that comes with it. Put the book in a plastic box with a tight top, set the book on end with the pages splayed open, in a small flat bottom dish that will not fall over mix equal parts of Clorox & White vinegar, about a “shot” of each and put this in with the book for a day or two. Open and move around the pages and mix a fresh batch if needed.

WARNING: THIS MAKES CHLORINE GAS SO DO IT WERE THERE ARE NO PEOPLE OR PETS AND DON’T BREATH THE FUMES.

MP Sadly Deceased as of 2/17/2014

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Gentleman,

Thanks for all the advice. Thats the very reason I asked here.

I went ahead and tried the cedar chips, as I had a brand new bag in the garage. (I use that for the bedding in my GWP's box).

Two Triggers, the title is "The Canadian Gunsmiths 1608-1900"

Not especially rare, but an informative book. Thanks again all.

Kind regards,

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.