May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
5 members (ClapperZapper, DAM16SXS, prairie ghost, SKB, 1 invisible), 703 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,506
Posts545,601
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
HOS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

How much for a box of those fiber wad shells?

HOS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Also, how much for a box of garden variety plastic 12 gauge (and other gauges for that matter) shells in the UK?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Hos, I think your analysis of those who use 2 1/2" shells might be correct but then you conflate that group with the entire shotgun world. Doubles chambered for 2 1/2 inch shells appeal to a relatively small group, yes. Those are the people who buy these guns, not the rest of the shotgunners who might use pumps or autoloaders, and those are the same people who determine the "value" of these guns. The market for guns chambered for 2 1/2-inch shells exists independent of the rest of the market. It's sort of irrelevant what the vast majority of shotgun owners shoot - they don't at the present time have an effect on the 2 1/2-inch market nor will they in future.

Also, I do not think (just my opinion) that 2 1/2-inch shells are exorbitantly priced - they are a just bit more than comparable quality 2 3/4-inch shells.

RCC Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I think that Gnomon has addressed rather well why 2.5 inch chambers in a SxS, particularly vintage SxSs do not negatively affect their value or their resale market.

And I do not disagree with him on the costs of 2.5 inch shells not being exorbitantly priced.

B&P's High Pheasant loads, which are a wonderful and deadly low pressure hunting load, sell for less than 12 bucks a box. Few premium 2.75 loads comparable in quality, can be had for under 15 bucks a box.

bc
HOS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Actually, what I wrote was "That would constitute a microscopic proportion of the shotgunning public and even a tiny proportion of potential customers for fine shotguns." What I meant by "fine shotguns" was not autoloaders and pumps (though, to be honest, I love to shoot pumps). What I meant was S/Ss and O/Us (mostly the latter) with starting prices, more or less, in the $3-5,000 range and going up from there. The only real growth in shotgun sports is sporting clays and similar games where O/Us (Perazzi, Krieghoff etc.)dominate, whereas the interest in shooting (really) old guns is confined to a small, insular group that, without meaning too morbid, is getting older and smaller. Going back to the original question of marketability and leaving aside aesthetics, sentimentality etc., I believe that I would rather be selling an item into a market that is relatively large and growing, as opposed to a relatively small and shrinking market.

RCC Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

You have stated a well thought answer with great articulation, but it does not really address the original posters question, which I have placed in bold type.

quote=teeny350]Good Morning All!

I am in need of some "dutch uncle" advice and direction.

I've been fortunate to collect and shoot some very lovely guns over the last several years. ( 2 Grant Sidelevers, Charles Boswell Sidlock, Purdey Pigeon 2 barrel set etc. Boswel and Grants are 2 1/2" chambers, Purdey is 2/3/4".)

I use RST shells for most purposes and enjoy shooting S x S's and the history of each.

Question: [b]Am I throwing good money after bad buying 2 1/2" chambered guns ?I rarely sell guns and suppose the problem of value would fall to my wife on my passing. ( hopefully many years from now ).[/b]

While his question does not specifically state a concern about buying more SxSs such as he has, he gave a bit of insight to us about what he is most likely to buy before he asked the question. Or at least I think that he did.

bc
HOS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I am not sure what you mean. Here is what he said in a subsequent post, responding to another poster's mention that he had previously asked the same question: "Thread was more focused on loads, proof and chamber length rather than value of guns based on chamber length.

Very helpful at the time. My concern was buying more guns with 2 1/2" chambers.

Thanks for your help." I think that his question and other posters' views in this thread go to the relative marketability of 2-1/2 vs. 2-3/4 inch guns; i.e., are they more difficult to sell or is a discount atttached to them upon sale? My views are set forth above. It would be interesting to hear the (honest)views of a premium gun dealer, though I suspect those views might, just might, be colored by whether he is buying or selling the 2-1/2 inch gun in question and what is currently in his inventory. Best regards.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have just purchased 1000 Lyalvale Express cartridges for 65mm min chamber 32 gms fibre wad No. 5 shot for 273.30.
I am not sure what this would convert to in $

Bob

gjw Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Backworth Bob
I have just purchased 1000 Lyalvale Express cartridges for 65mm min chamber 32 gms fibre wad No. 5 shot for 273.30.
I am not sure what this would convert to in $

Bob

$431.71

Gregory J. Westberg
MSG, USA
Ret
Sidelock
Sidelock

$10.79 per box of 25

Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought stupid,than open it and confirm.
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.