April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
3 members (Longknife, ClapperZapper, CJ Dawe), 1,303 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,469
Posts545,144
Members14,409
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 11 of 37 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 36 37
Sidelock
Sidelock

Ken / Steve

I think you have to take Marc's comments very seriously. It strikes me that this may be a project that has as a first step the goal of building 10 guns for 10 very knowledgeable buyers.

Al

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Just a short note to clarify a point ---- THIS IS NOT A KIT !! This is a complete assembled, functioning in the white action & forend. Ready for stocking and engraving if wanted. Ken

Ken Hurst
910-221-5288
Sidelock
Sidelock

I believe that Steve is very aware of what this project might involve.

I also believe that eveyone should have a realistic idea of what this gun should cost - out the door. Well, here's my best guess $7500 minimum with no engraving and that may be somewhat low.

One other item that should be considered by anyone thinking that they can do their own stock work, unless you have considerable experience, a Lefever IS NOT the first gun you should start with. The top tang has as many curves a Marilyn Monroe and it's a bugger.

Stocking is the only part of the gun that I have any real knowledge but I'll bet that the rest of the gun will require the services of a professional also.

In conclusion - you will not be getting a $12,000 gun for $2750 that only happens with the RBL.

Doug Mann
Sidelock
Sidelock

Doug,

Few words have been typed more true than Lefevers being a real tough stock job for most pros or semi-pros and all beginers. I did two Lefever 20's last year and learned that they were two of the hardest guns that I have done. Right now I am in the middle of a 12 restock job and think that I might loose my mind before I am satisfied. Those trim Lefever wrist are very hard to get just right but they feel so good when done.

The first 50 gunstocks I did were a cake walk, mostly boxlocks with just a few LC Smiths in the mix. In that mix I bet that I scrapped five blanks and should have scrapped another five before I was done. Sometimes the job was done the hard way in hindsight. My first ejector splinter foreend was a real eye opener for details of fitting in three or more directions at one time.

You get one chance to inlet that top tang. Mess up and you do not just move everything back and do it again. If your mistake is noticable to you, then you might as well get another blank and start over. The stocker is his own worst critic.

That said, if you think about it, this might be the perfect job for a precision inletting machine to do most of the rough work. Have the head of the stock, top tang ect., and the sideplates inlet to within .010 on one of the CNC or Hoening machines. Then do the rest by hand. The back end of the stock would be left in the square state so custom deminsions could be done to suit the individual. If one good pattern was made one of the stock duplicators should be able to run a dozen blanks at a time to get us in the ball park. The labor savings and cost saving should be a decent amount.

I have three RBLs on order and if this gets to a real production and delivery state at least one and possible more of them will get cancelled for one or more of these. I am getting to the point in life where I suspect I have more desire than time and intend to enjoy what I can before my big after life garage sale that my family will have after I am gone. I may not spend all my kids inhertance but I intend to spend at least the interest.

Most people who have to farm out the work are going to be near $10,000.00 for a nicely finished gun that will be a real gun of a lifetime. Out of many peoples price range. But then again have they looked at having a "best/bespoken" gun made for them like we are. Go to any maker in England and $10,000.00 is the down payment not the total amount.

People need to think of this as a pay as you go, "bespoken" gun. So if the basic action and barrels cost $4-5-6,000.00 then the rest is done as you can afford to do it. Stock this year, engrave next year, finish the metal the third year. For many this is the only way that they will ever get a gun of their dreams. A few here can afford to drop whatever they wish into a project and to them I say great. To the others, I say Ken has given you a chance for a dream.

Sidelock
Sidelock

16/20, 28-30"bbls., extractors, DT,.

My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income.
- Errol Flynn
Sidelock
Sidelock

I contacted a few of the AYA importers regarding guns in the white, but the response was basically that there would be little difference in cost over simply buying a completed gun. The response might be different for an importer purchasing a number of actions at once though.

I haven't been involved in the professional sale of firearms (or kits) but I'd think as long as a clear, honest, budget of about what it would cost to complete a gun like this was provided, the folks that can't handle the total cost should be (appropriately) driven off.

I'd agree that it would be a good idea to identify a reliable company that can do the rough machine inleting to keep the cost somewhat reasonable. I'd also second the suggestion that a list of suggested tradesmen be provided.

Add me to the list of people ready to send a deposit.

Last edited by Steven M; 03/16/07 01:41 AM.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I have talked to Bob Elliot re. the preposed new gun & he is going to offer all help he can. I wanted to ask the group how they felt about the side plates being steped/rebated. Also, your opinion about a single rib at juncture of fence and action body . Another idea that would require your opinion is the question of a rolled trigger guard. Okay guys, what are your thoughts on these questions ? Thanks, Ken

Ken Hurst
910-221-5288
Sidelock
Sidelock

I like the rolled trigger guard and definitely the stepped sideplates.

Have you given any thought to selling them with all barrels at very full choke? It would be one less variable for you to worry about and the owner could have it opened to suit their needs. I would think that the fewer variables you had to deal with, the easier it would be to get the project up and running.

What will be the setp of the tangs and trigger guard-straight or pistol? Of course you can modify one to the other, I was just wondering

skunk out
Sidelock
Sidelock

Hello
As for the stepped lock plates, Yes but on only B grades or highter. lets not change Dans gun.

Bob

lefeverarms.com
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Marc, First, my plans were to have all bbl's made full+ full when made and to be adjusted as needed to suit client. Steve is such a fool for everything being the best that he will machine the TG out of a single block of steel to fit owners spec's. I once tried to get him to tack weld two pieces of steel together & have them formed for TG and he refused to lower the quality level by doing so.

As timr slides by and things get closer to happening, I'll try and post a list of all the options available and ask members to vote on their preference's. There will have to be a starting poiny for developing a starter gun so that prices can be sestablished and this will go along way towards helping. Remember huys --- this is or could be your gun. All I'm asking is for y'all to help us develop the best one we can that would satify the wants of the majority. Many thanks for your help. Ken

Ken Hurst
910-221-5288
Page 11 of 37 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 36 37

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.