March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (Ian Forrester, SKB, Mills, 12boreman), 376 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,009
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Beagle Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks to all of you who remembered 6-12 was the name of the old time mosquito repellant. I had asked some of my friends, but they all had the same medical condition I have, CRS. [ Can't Remember Shit]

Sidelock
Sidelock

The reason I had to start a subscription to the DGJ was a line in a a review back when it first came out describing the smell of a just fired paper shell. I was really hoping I found something I was looking for, and it's the only one that continues from those days.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Ah yes the smell of red dot and waxed paper ala federal and one time winchester super target shells. There really is nothing like it to bring back memories of friends and places that are fading into the mists of time.
John Mc

Sidelock
Sidelock

I use to open up the crop of freshly killed birds,quail and boy that was a great odor! But when you gut them they smell terrible! Bobby

Sidelock
Sidelock

My Shorthairs after running through the Sage Brush all day.......wonderful. A wet, exhausted dog in a warm vehicle. Neither of the above to be confused with the odor of a freshly skunked dog or after rolling on a long dead critter. Yet, even that evokes memories that improve over time.

Sidelock
Sidelock

my rst paper shells smell like Minnesota mud. last time I used them (hopefully for life) was in a large tag alder swamp coated with a good bit of snow and freezing temps the night before. it was overwhelmingly the highest concentration of timber doodles in my life. as the morning moved on I of course had more and more snow to fall on me,and I was also sweating heavily.

I no know why my grandfather hated paper shells so much. the more snow, sweat, and water from falling down every third step everything about me was wet. those stupid paper shells swelled up so much that I has having to hammer them in the chambers with the butt of my knife. some shells would not even chamber like that.

after a while got so mad that I threw the paper shells as far as I could in the tag alder swamp. they deserved a less dignified death, but it was the best I could under the circumstances.

Last edited by Marc Stokeld; 01/30/13 08:33 PM.

skunk out
Sidelock
Sidelock

My fondest early smell is indeed just fired paper shells; most probably Winchester, but when you are 6 or 7, any would do, even Remmingtons. I would ask my Dad to bring back ANY emptys; please. I'd sniff them for a week.

Now, I still inhale deeply of my Barbour tweed jacket. last hunting use was on a 300 yard stalk in the Scottish Highlands last October. I can smell the Heather, or is it sheep dung? 300 yards on your belly will impart both. It is fading but still brings back the memory of a great day.

Another smell that is hard to erase from your brain is that of a nearby heard of cape buffalo. Driving past a cattle yard is close but not the same.

All the best,

Mal

Sidelock
Sidelock

What a great thread! For me a morning walk in the hills of northern New England with dew so thick you can almost smell it.Woodsmoke from the woodstoves taking off the morning chill.The musty smell of damp leaves and the wonderful aroma of a freshly fallen pa,tridge or woodcock coupled with the smell of a freshly fired paper shell from my Parker. Oh dear I think I'm in heaven!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Yep. Stick your nose right in there and inhale deeply the lead styphnate from the primer. Nobody lives forever.

Paper shells nowadays have a small percentage of the 'real' fragrance of the old days.

Federal uses Alliant powders now, and they don't even use a paper basewad. Nor does Fiocchi. The old perfume is gone.

My favorite fragrance from the modern hunt is Laphroaig in the snifter and pan frying pheasant breast (dredged in Drake's and cooked in fresh corn oil).

The occasional waft of oak from the fireplace is pretty good too..

A very long time ago there was a scent I almost remember... it had to do with a woman... ah, forget it. A paper shell was better, more reliable, and lasted longer.

"The price of good shotgunnery is constant practice" - Fred Kimble
Sidelock
Sidelock

As an aging gunner; I, too, love the smell of just fired Federal Paper shells.
I have asked friends and myself: What IS that smell that is so damn good?
Partly 4th of July firecrackers when a kid. Partly, is almost like...well, call me a real flake, but to me perhaps it is the following smell of sex in a close room. I know I am a dirty old man, but there is SOMETHING from way back in memories about the wonderful smells those shells emit.
Ah, well...whatever it is, it is wonderful, and even if I am in shoot-off; if I am shooting Paper, I just have to stop and smell that wonderous whatever.
Sam Ogle, Lincoln, NE

Sam Ogle
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.