April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (ivanhoe, FlyChamps, Chad Linder, SKB, 1 invisible), 473 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,470
Posts545,149
Members14,409
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 10 of 32 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 31 32

has anybody been able to try there concoctions..i sure am interested in how this turns out...i have acquired all the parts and hoping for your replies...thanks in advance bugsy

Sidelock
Sidelock

Waiting for Dig to update us on his concoctions

hey dig ...how are you coming along on your mixes..i just mixed three seperate mixes...all simple alk with alcohol..alk with boiled linseed ...alk with mineral spirits..made enough of each to be able to split into seperate batches with additional additives....bugsy

salopian...what does the venetian turp do...what does it do?? thanks bugsy

Sidelock
Sidelock

Lads, I just picked up some of the Behlen stain in Blood Red. Applied it to a small spot on the stock (finished with True Oil and then rubbed down with rottenstone and linseed oilwith a felt pad to kill the shine) --- and it looked so good and penetrated the True Oil that I stained the whole stock of my Sarasqueta 20 gauge 4E. I am impressed! Rich, deep color that sunk in. Wiped away the excess and the gun looks great! Thanks for the tip. Sure beats making your own dragon blood. Chopper

Chopper - Had a similar experience with a Behlen product - - which really might be their analine dye. - - This dye according to my cabinet maker guru is far more finely grained than stain and just does a better coloring job.

This is the stuff also uses a proprietary thinner, much like alcohol. Several years ago, I had what I thought was going to be a real bear of a stock coloring problem when I jumped too quickly from dyeing to oiling. After a couple treatments of Permalin it was obvious that I still had wood portions that were much too light. I thought I was going to have to strip and start over again, but did what you did - - simply applying some of the dye on top of the hardened oil. It went right thru just like your experience. Moreover, as I continued with this stock, I was able to apply the dye to smaller areas a couple of more times right thru the oil. Worked great.

OP Offline

Just ordered my Behlen in Blood Red. I trust the sage advice oft espoused on this forum and generally gain much insight from the positive experiences related, thus I feel no reluctance to pluck down a few dollars to give this Behlen in Blood Red a spin. Thank YOU, gentlemen.

http://www.icm.cc
transforming ideas into reality
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have started applying the oil/wax /venetian etc brew to my stock. I must say that so far it is a very elegant liquid to work with and leaves a nice patina to the wood. We'll see what it looks like 237 or so thin coats later.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Because we are bridging The World on this site we have to take into account, availability, taste, need to stay original etc.,
I therefore welcome this exchange of methods, skills, thoughts and ideas.
Whilst the original question was about alkanet root oil which is historic and traditional, we must be aware and also embrace modern technology.
Thanks for the insight into Behlen products in the USA.
UK residents may consider Rustins,Coloron,Liberon,Blackfriars products which in my experience are all excellant products, some better than others but that is personal preferance.
Now if only some one could give me a recipe for quick drying stock oil???????

Quote:
Applied it to a small spot on the stock (finished with True Oil and then rubbed down with rottenstone and linseed oilwith a felt pad to kill the shine) --- and it looked so good and penetrated the True Oil
Just to clarify, are you saying that the stock had been finished with TO some time ago and the dye coloured the wood right through the old TO finish??. If so, how long ago was the finish applied?

Thanks
Cody

Tact is for those not clever enough to be sarcastic
Page 10 of 32 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 31 32

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.