April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (fab500, Argo44, ClapperZapper, 1 invisible), 446 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,472
Posts545,153
Members14,409
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 12 of 37 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 36 37
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Bob, My idea wasn't to develop two different frames but to turn out one with all the whistles & bells that the majority wanted. I remember reading somewhere that Uncle Dan was constantly up grading and changing his product for the better. Couldn't this project be accomplished using the same method/approach ? Your opinions encouraged of course. Ken

Ken Hurst
910-221-5288
Sidelock
Sidelock

Go for it, Ken! I for one am VERY interested in this project. I can't think of a finer gun to resurrect than the Lefever.

When an old man dies a library burns to the ground. (Old African proverb)
Sidelock
Sidelock

The stepped sideplate is not that big of an issue to me. As the vast majority of Lefevers do not have it, I for one would not miss it. Not that I would cry if it was present, but the rest of the gun is what I care about. I even picked out the blank for it tonight. A English crotch blank that has been aging for six years. By the time it get whittled down it should be aged just right. In fact this gun might get built before either of my RBL will be built.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have no doubt that the new Lefever could be made up to be spectacular. The problem is, the average Lefever man in the crowd here, has been into the lower grades at lower prices. They're going to choke on whatever the New Lefever is going to cost them.
There are some very workable middle grade Lefevers that linger on the dealers shelves for 3995.00(Ivory Beads & Steven Cobbs)
Make a super looking 10k gun, and put "Sterlingworth," on it.
Them Fox boys will buy 'em-up!

Last edited by Lowell Glenthorne; 03/17/07 12:43 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

A mid grade, 100 year old gun is not a fair comparison to what Ken is thinking about here. I love them but sometimes the better ones need to be left alone and not shot with modern loads. 100 year old wood, 100 year old metal and common sense tells me that most of these old Lefevers should not be shot hard and will not do well with modern factory shells. So if you are not into graded guns why drop $3,000.00 into a closet queen? One per colection to have an example but more than that is not for me.

This would be a safe for modern shells, made from modern metals, with enough room for most custom features that the owner might want and be able to afford. In fact if you spread the process over several years most here could have an Invincible if they so choose. I love Lefevers and shoot them well. What I intend to make is a custom gun to replacce half a dozen in my gunroom. Small bore guns are fun to shoot and this should become a very near all around gun for my shooting needs.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Will the barrels be safe for steel shot?

Maybe a 12ga, 30-32" waterfowler?

My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income.
- Errol Flynn
Sidelock
Sidelock

Ken
You say that your going to build a high grade frame and a low grade frame.
My questions are:
What type of cocking are you going to use?
What kind of ejectors are you going to use?
Will you be able to get the gun without ejectors?
What type of opener are you going to use?
What type of forend latch are you going to use?

Dan used several different types of each of these.
Bob

lefeverarms.com
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Mr. Bob ---- We will only be building a higher grade (Optimus) frame. I will be consulting with Bob Elliot re. the most up to date cocking rods Uncle Dan made. I'm leaning towards the advice offered on this board and the emails I have been receiving which is dbl. triggers and extracters. Ejectors and single trigger will be optional. The break lever used on the late Optimus guns will be used and forend latch is yet to be decided on. All will be revealed in time. I hope to (with help) have a survey where interested parties can vote on what would be most desirable for the basic gun. Please bear with us & continue to give this project lots of thought. We want to produce on gun without having to alter what we have started once the program has been written. Ken

Ken Hurst
910-221-5288

After having a stroke in November of '05, my memory is not perfect anymore. Am I wrong, or isn't there someone that can impart a nice Damascus finish onto steel barrels? A copy of a hi-grade Lefever action fit with beautiful wood with modern dimensions, and modern steel barrels finished in a damascus pattern. Now that would be the gun I would have to have. It would be the gun I'd carry for whatever time I have left to follow my setter and pointer through the covers I love.

Bill

I can't be too bad, my dogs will kiss me.

Ken:

I think this is the best idea since someone came up with sliced bread, go for it and count me in...I'll send a separate e mail.

Are you contemplating a dollshead rib extension or a straight "DS" style? I see nothing wrong with the straight one for all kinds of practical reasons. I prefer a plain triggerguard vs. a rolled edge (from the side a rolled edge looks thick and bulky) or just thread the action 6mm to accept the perfectly-fine Galazan trigger guard readily available in pistol, straight, rolled or not. Re: sideplates, I like the straight look but rebated would be okay, too. Personally, I don't care about cocking indicators, and, like most, am fine with double triggers, extractors, the nominal XX frame size, 20 gauge and the "keep it simple (and light)" model.

This is cool and very exciting. Thanks for your effort.

Bill

Page 12 of 37 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 36 37

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.