March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (Owenjj3, SKB, Philbert, dukxdog, Marc Ret), 842 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,009
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

The aroma of hemlock, white pine, mountain laurel, rhododendron, running water over freestone and all else that combine into the unforgetable smell of a North Georgia trout stream in the springtime.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I'd be just pickled tink if I knew what a shell cracker or a blue pisser is. grin Tomorrow I'm butchering hogs. Nothing like the smell and taste of fresh pork in the frying pan. I'll be having mine with hot buttered grits.

Practice safe eating. Always use a condiment.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Mr. Newburn, as a kid, I frowned on those who use " wet" bugs for bream. (I thought it was cheating) I will admit to admiring those who could roll cast a cricket 70 feet with a small cork. I currently have a pair of 3wt 9 foot Sage RPL's that are my favorite bream rods. I use one with a #10 popper as long as they are biting and then switch to a nymph or other sinking bug. ( the shell crackers seldom hit on top but do like a Goddard Chadis for some reason) Most of the bedding blue gills in out lake are about 12-13 oz. the shellcrackers are bigger ( lake record is 2# 9 oz but that was several years ago when it was fertilized and open to the public. Howell Raines ( whose first wife is a distant cousin of mine) might consider catching 125 bream after work "red neck" fishing but done on a fly rod with plenty of friends and employees that love the fish, I could care less. ( the bream and shell crackers " butterflied" rolled and cornmeal and deep fried are second only to fresh speckled trout in my book) Come to west Alabama three days before any full moon from April on and I will show you what I am talking about!

Sidelock
Sidelock

JRB, a shellcracker is a large member of the sunfish family also known as a red ear bream. They have teeth designed to crush snails and small mussels. They are generally bigger than blue gills and fight much harder but generally only bed once a year unlike blue gills which bed. Every full moon ( and to a lesser degree on the new moon) all summer long. A " blue pisser" is a male blue gill that guards the nest or bed. It is far more aggressive and is caught in great numbers over the "bed". Perhaps they give it the smell that I referred to earlier. When caught and held while taking out the hook, they will express a stream or urine that is amazing.

Sidelock
Sidelock

JBL, fresh pork liver is in a class by itself. Do y'all eat chitterlings out west?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Tyler, you are a fisherman!...Geo

tw Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

The classic modern work on scent is perhaps Tom Robbins, "Even Cowgirls Get the Blues";-)

On bream, artificial terrestrials like the large black ants found in the piney woods or rubber spiders have always worked very well for me on the fly rod, but nothing beats a grey cricket w/a single split shot crimped about 7" from the hook on a long cane pole w/the line near the same length as the pole. I picked up [caught] a double hand sized red-ear a few weeks back on a tiny beetle spin using an ultralite rig w/#2 line. Good fun. Let it go back for the breeding season as it was a loner. I was suprised to have even caught it in Jan. Was mostly killing some time on a nice enough day in E. TX.

That old combination of Hoppes #9 & recently spent paper hulls is a hard one to beat. BTW, Federal does still use paper wound base wads in at least two of their hulls, their classic paper hull bunker trap loads & the Top Guns, the latter having plastic hulls. I'm pretty sure they do the same with the paper hulled normal 32 gram ATA trap loads too, but have not purchased any lately, so can't speak to that in the present. BTW, the Top Guns do not emit the correct scent, but do have the same wound paper base wad. That leaves one w/the conclusion that the scent comes from the waxed paper tube .. probably as it burns those tiny pin holes just above the brass. I have intended for years to throw some of those old spent pin holed paper tubed hulls on a camp fire & see if they give off any similar odor to having been fired, but never seem to have gotten around to doing so. Aside from having 'that' smell, both of the aforementioned hulls make for soft shooting reloads as can the B&P hulls which are minus any scent factor w/their Gordon system plastiqe base wads.

GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

tw, my alltime favorite bream fly for bedding fish, "titty bream", (Stan knows what I'm talking about) is a black Wooley Bugger tied on a lightwire cricket hook. There's a little springfed pond near the Ogeechee River near Rocky Ford. The prime beds are underneath the willows which extend roots through the beds. The cricket hook would catch and hold big fish if I did my job. If the fly snagged on the roots, a steady tug would open the gap and release the root. I didn't have to break off or get close to free the fly which would disturb the beds. The farm changed ownership and I don't have access any longer. It was one of the best bream ponds I've ever fished.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Tyler
JBL, fresh pork liver is in a class by itself. Do y'all eat chitterlings out west?

We strip them out, scrape them, turn them inside out, wash them, then stuff them with pork sausage. I never peel the casing off of my fried sausage so yep I guess you could say that we eat them only in a different way from you Southern guys. The liver gets boiled, ground fine and mixed with either ground sow belly or jowl and stuffed in casings for liver sausage. Damn I'm getting hungry just talking about it. smile

Practice safe eating. Always use a condiment.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Try slicing the fresh pork liver about a 1/4 inch thick, coat it lightly with flour, and lightly satue it in the grease left after you cook three slices of bacon. Do not cook it past medium rare and eat with the bacon. You may find it too good to boil for sasuage!

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.