March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
8 members (Lloyd3, Jimmy W, Marc Ret, Little Creek, PALUNC, 2 invisible), 307 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,993
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Kutter Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

The 'Crown/D' marking.
Seems like I've seen it before on SxS, (maybe Belgian sourced bbl's (?),,

Anyway it's on a Marlin 43 Trap pump shotgun. Thought it was interesting.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Sidelock
Sidelock

Most interesting. Can you tell what the worn initials might have been? What is the stamped tube steel type?

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Kutter Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

The other mark is a poorly stamped 'F' indicating Full Choke.
Those are the only markings on the bottom of the tube.
The 'F' is just barely visible when the gun is assembled,,the Crown/D is not,,all due to the magazine tube.

Normal roll marked bbl address on the left side of the bbl and large '12GA' marking.
Nothing in there to indicate steel type.
It's not a composition type bbl (twist,damascus,ect). Solid steel (fluid?)type instead.
No additional choke marking in that side marking.

I suspected the mark indicated a foreign source for the pump gun tube, but figured I'd ask here to make sure.

The Model was made in the 1920's and was surprised at the 'foreign' looking mark at first.

A Meriden Pump Shotgun I have is clearly marked 'Fluid Steel Krupp Essen' on the top of the bbl.
AFAIK those Meridens were made in 1917 or '18.
I wouldn't have figured Krupp would have been obliging to us at that particular time for bbl steel. I'm sure there's an answer and probably just to do with aquisition and later production timing.

Maybe all not so surprising. If we (USA) sourced SxS bbls into the 20th century,, why not repeater bbls as well..

Thank you both for the information & interest in the marking..

Sidelock
Sidelock

Lots of U.S. makers used Canons Delcour fluid steel tubes, including Hunter Arms ("Crown Steel"), Fox, Meriden/Sears, Baker ("Homotensile Steel"), Ithaca NID ("Best Fluid Steel") and Lefever Nitro Special & A-grades

Some Browning patent Fabrique-Nationale-Herstal very early versions of the A5 shipped to the U.S. between 1903 and 1909 are marked Cockerill Steel.

Last edited by Drew Hause; 02/09/13 04:02 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Delcour-DuPont survived WWI relatively intact. They were the last of the large production houses to produce damascus barrels, circa 1939.

From about 1905 to 1919 most fluid steel coming out of Belgium, especially FN, was produced by Siemens-Martin, this was during a period of German control and acquisition of Belgian arms manufacturing. Gaier refers to this period as "the German School." In "Ars Mechanica" there is a picture of the FN board room, with German officers in uniform seated at the table.

Damascus imports from Belgium basically stopped during WWI. Baker as much as says so. Yet we see a number of American makers still able to fulfill orders. My best guess is that they had stored a large quantity of tubes before the war or a jobber had. I believe this would apply to Krupp as well.

Pete

Sidelock
Sidelock

The fluid steel barrels on Marlin's Grades B and C were marked 'Special Smokeless Steel'. These barrels were rated at a much higher PSI over those on the Grade A, which did not have the 'S.S.S.' marking. I found this information in my 1907 catalog. How is your Model 43 marked?

GMC(SW) - USN, Retired (1978-2001)

Kutter Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

No steel grade marking on the Model 43 pump gun at all.
Just the stamp(s) in the picture above.

I was aware of the Special Smokeless Steel and the For B/P Only marking on the rifles.

I haven't noticed those markings on Marlin pumpguns,,but then they have been few in my list of aquisitions over the years.
Only the second '43 I've had. A couple of the hammer pumps have come and gone.

I don't mind shooting the hammerless Marlins like this one. They are a somewhat fragile design, but I can deal with that.
The hammer pumps are just an unsafe design with that poorly designed bolt lock arm underneath. I won't shoot those.

This one's getting a face lift & upgrade of sorts.
Redone wood, some engraving, new pad to replace the plywood spacer and Pacmayr additions it had.

Nice shooter. Full choke makes for a nice skeet gun.
I keep the loads down in psi for all my elder shooters.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Poster: PeteM
Subject: Re: Is this bbl marking familiar?

Delcour-DuPont survived WWI relatively intact. They were the last of the large production houses to produce damascus barrels, circa 1939.

From about 1905 to 1919 most fluid steel coming out of Belgium, especially FN, was produced by Siemens-Martin,

Hi PeteM,

I don't want to be a stickler, but I seem to remember (from long ago days when I worked in the steel industry in Germany)
that Siemens-Martin is a specific process of making steel, used by a number of steel makers (others are the Thomas and Bessemer processes).
Don't take this the wrong way; just a bit of information I can add.

Best regards from England
Günter

Sidelock
Sidelock

Acier Siemens Martele-(Siemens Hammered Steel)

http://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=200697&page=2

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.