May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
6 members (Argo44, Stanton Hillis, cpa, HalfaDouble, azgreg, 1 invisible), 632 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,541
Posts546,048
Members14,420
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#313404 02/12/13 10:32 PM
DrBob Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

This is a little off topic, but it is about the largest double gun venue out there.
Several of us were comparing notes about the recent Las Vegas Antique Arms Show. Don't get me wrong, the show was very enjoyable.
However the venue, the Riviera Hotel, leaves a lot to be desired.

The hotel is run down and they tried a bait and switch to get you to upgrade your room by telling you a lesser room was not ready (even though the hotel was less than half full). The restaurant service was horrible, with guests of mine not receiving their meals. My room was not cleaned several times and they left no shampoo or soap. When comparing notes I found that this kind of stuff happened to all of us.

I am hoping that more than just a handful who feel this way will contact Wally to urge him to upgrade the venue. Not to the Mirage or something like that, but at least to a place that has what most of us come to expect as normal service.

You can contact him at: http://www.antiquearmsshow.com/contactus.cfm

Last edited by DrBob; 02/12/13 10:33 PM.

Great-Great Grandson of D.M. Lefever
www.lefevercollectors.com
DrBob #313414 02/12/13 11:39 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Well yes, its not the Wynn. But, I'll take the ease of getting in and out of the show venue at the Rivieria over that nightmare at Mandalay Bay!! Which tower did you stay in? The Monaco Tower was newly refurbished about four years ago, and my Wife has commented on very good service from the housekeeping staff. We only ate two breakfasts at the hotel this year. Last year we had a wonderful dinner at the R-Steak, but everyone I talked to this year was really down on the aweful service there!!

DrBob Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I was in the South Tower. I had booked a suite for the Lefever club meeting prior to arriving. They still tried to shake me down for an upgrade and I got the worst room I have had in the years I have been going there.
I went down to the lobby to get a cup of coffee in the AM and found they closed the coffee stand and none was available.
No I don't want the Mandalay Bay or something of that level, but this place wasn't up to Motel Six standards. At least they provide soap in the bathrooms.

DrBob #313418 02/13/13 01:31 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

My wife and I got there prepared to check in and found the guaranteed upgrade we had been promised in November, when booking was not available. We had already booked a suite, which turned out to be nothing more than a room WITH DOUBLE DOORS and the T.V. NEVER WORKED! We were in the South Tower as well and while one room service meal was decent, the other was cold upon arrival. Our room was very hot and the A.C. did not work. The Banana Leaf Restaurant [SUSHI] and the R-Steak food [GRILLED FISH] was GREAT. The Employees such as the Bellman, [His name is Price...no joke! OZZIE THE T.V. REPAIRMAN, PLUS WILL THE SUSHI CHEF WERE SUPER!] and were helpful,the Bell Captain WAS NOT! Front Desk Clerks were HORRIBLE, the maids...GOOD! The hotel has seen better days and is certainly what one would call shabby but not overly so, especially for a GUNSHOW! All in all, my wife and I had a GREAT TIME, MET FRIENDS THERE, MADE SOME NEW ONES AND BOUGHT SOME GUNS! What more could one ask for?

DrBob #313451 02/13/13 11:59 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Terrible experience with the Riviera. Starting with the upgrade attempt by the registration people, " because our room was not made up, yet" This is a hotel that did not fill half of it's rooms. Coffee maker was missing, and when delivered , it was not serviced during the 5 days. Ice bucket never cleaned, spackling falling off ceiling caused by a water leak during the night, never cleaned up, One day room never made up, toilet paper holder fell off wall, morning room service trays still in hall at 6pm, and much more, but you get the idea. This was a small suite and one of the two TVs worked.

Restaurant called the R Steakhouse screwed up the orders of two at our table. One entree came after others had finished. Poor quality of food, service, and wine list. Another breakfast/lunch restaurant in the Riviera was closed. You could get three or 4 types of fast food take out in the Food Court. Room Service menu about 1/3 of what was offered a year ago and about the style of a diner along any highway.

The only reason to stay at the Riviera, especially if you are an exhibitor, is the convenience of having your room closeby. Other Hotels , just two or more hotels away are much better.

Finally, could not electronically check out until 6am, so so much for that convenience.

Gun Show was handled fine.

Last edited by Daryl Hallquist; 02/13/13 01:25 PM.
DrBob #313454 02/13/13 12:14 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

This is why I always choose the Bellagio.

If you can afford a good gun, you can afford a good hotel.

DrBob #313465 02/13/13 01:33 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Last time I stayed in a hotel for the show, it was the Mandalay. Nice room, but $400 a nite for a suite with 4 of us. Most years I've been, I hit the road at 5 a.m. from my house in L.A. and do the show, then drive home that afternoon. I'm not much of a Vegas person.

DrBob #313474 02/13/13 02:19 PM
DrBob Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

It is a balance for an exhibitor between the inconvenience of trucking stuff from one hotel to another for the show versus staying in a substandard facility.
If I were not an exhibitor there is no way I would stay at the Riviera.
I don't know how the whole thing works, but I am sure that in some way the number of rooms filled by the show is reflected in what the facility costs Wally.
I would just hope that enough people complain that Wally decides to move upscale just a bit.

DrBob #313480 02/13/13 02:28 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Ditto Bob and Daryl.
Ive been going to the show for years and the Rivera is sinking fast. I ate the worst $14.00 breakfast ive ever eaten. I live in Alaska so I dont have an issue paying $14 for breakfast but up here you cant read the news paper through the bacon and they have real spuds and eggs.
I went through the Mandalay days. The Manadalay was to high class. I feel that Wally could pick a med priced plase that wouldnt break my bank.
I have send an Email to Wally with my thoughts.
Bob

lefeverarms.com
Sidelock
Sidelock

Do you guys mean to tell me that the Marilyn Monroe lunch counter is no longer operational at the Riviera? I can't get a beer and a hot dog for two bucks? You guys are right, let's get another hotel.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.