April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (Jem Finch, fab500, SKB, Fudd, 1 invisible), 425 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,472
Posts545,152
Members14,409
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 13 of 37 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 36 37
Sidelock
Sidelock

Ken,
As the project moves forward, consider including a couple of recommended stockers with profiling machinery. Have the stocker offer the customer the option of providing either fitted block stocks and forearms with or without customer provided wood. The customer could also order the finished stock and forearm to custom stock dimensions. Don't reinvent the wheel with each new Lefever stock and forearm. Standardize as many stock dimensions and options as possible up front.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Sign me up. I had the pen on the RBL order form and backed off because I re-thought the 20ga. For hunting in the west USA I believe the 16ga the perfect blend of firepower, pattern, and weight. I have my eyes on the Chapuis because they do the 16ga but would much prefer an American made to Frog simply for politico.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Ken,

Sounds good and I'm another likely owner.

Now, eightbore a few pages back noted that a 10 bore of his acquaintance had 1-1/16" between the firing pins. I am far, very far from my references, but if you are using XX frame dimensions, is one inch between firing pins do-able for a 12 gauge? Much as I may sympathize with the 16 borers (!), I'd prefer a light 12 and 20 gauge combination. I shoot a 6lb 4 oz 12 gauge with 1-1/8th oz. cartridges and 3 dram equivalent so I'd guess the dimensions are the key, rather than weight of the gun.

On other aspects, extractors are fine; the only alternative would be ejectors that can be switched to extractors which may add too much to the cost.

Regards, Tim

Sidelock
Sidelock

Count me in too, with a very strong preference fo a 16/20 combo with at least 28" (preferably 30") bbls, double triggers and extractors.

Rob

NRA Benefactor Member
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Tim, can't say at this moment if a light 12 is possible. At any rate, getting the bbl's made is our main concern at the moment. Needless to say, we won't just use ANY bbl's we can find at a good price. Bbl's will have to be of good quality. One concern we have at the present is the min. amount of bbl's a maker will require to place an order. And, the more bbl lengths and ga. offered runs the cost up considerably. Hopefully in time all will be worked out. Thanks, Ken

Ken Hurst
910-221-5288
Sidelock
Sidelock

I know I will never be able to afford one anyway, but I'll offer some more free advice. While there are a number of dedicated followers who think there is something special about the 16 gauge, it is not a large number. Every few years various companies try to rekindle interest in them but they usually fade out after a short time. Surely starting with a 12 or 20 gauge would be smarter, 12 first, JMO, of course. I'll repeat my suggestion of 28-30" barrels. In 2007, not many people want 26" barrels. Try to sell a used one and you'll believe it.

Last edited by Jim Legg; 03/18/07 03:36 PM.

> Jim Legg <

Sidelock
Sidelock

Ken, Sounds like a great vision/project. I only wish that I did not order my Fox 16/20 gauge set back in June or I would have been all over this gun. Best of luck and I look forward to following your project's success.
Jim, You may be right about the relative low number of 16 gauge devotees, but I think that the number is right in alignment with the actual potential buyers of this Lefever gun. I could be wrong, but I do not think that Ken is marketing this gun to the masses, only the few fans who would love a gun of this type and made to modern standards, plus don't want to spend ridiculous prices .

Sidelock
Sidelock

Ken:

Well, I have my wood picked out for #4. When do we get the barrels?

Glenn

There is no sacrifice too great for someone else to make.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Glenn,
Very interesting blank. If you don't mind, where did you get it? And, is that punkwood up in the wrist or is there some nice straight grain we can't see? How long is it?
Best, Jake

R. Craig Clark
jakearoo(at)cox.net
Sidelock
Sidelock

Jake:

The wood belongs to some wonderful folks who cut walnut in northern CA. They don't want to do private sales. I became friends with them and found they had blanks they referred to as Family Grade, meaning you had to be family to get them. I asked them to adopt me. Now I call them Mom and Dad and they send me pictures of wood.

Is this a great country or what?

The blank is only about a year old right now and all I have is this picture and the chance to buy it when it is ripe. I can't even get the measurments as it is buried in a drying pile. Being familiar with their wood I would say that the white wood at the top of the wrist is sap wood. The very dark area right below it is very straight close grained dark pigmented wood. These folk know how to cut wood so I expect there is plenty of room under the sap for the wrist. I believe the blank is clean on the other side.

When this subject came up I decided I needed a fine double gun and asked them if I could have the blank. I just posted the picture to stir the pot a bit. <g>

Regards,
Glenn

There is no sacrifice too great for someone else to make.
Page 13 of 37 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 36 37

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.