March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (Southern Sport), 860 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,016
Members14,391
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Sidelock
Sidelock

Regarding the Rolexes - One reason for servicing them (And I would assume other waterproof watches) is that the rubber seals dry out, and altho the watch may keep good time, it ain't waterproof. Ask me how I know - something about a scuba trip in Mexico, the a trip to the jeweler to get the Rolex pumped out

jmc Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Hey Damascus - any particular reason you have the crowns loosened on your Rolies? I've got a few in the rotation including a Submariner and just wondering what's up with yours.

Best,
jmc

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: tudurgs
Ask me how I know - something about a scuba trip in Mexico, the a trip to the jeweler to get the Rolex pumped out

I have a Girard Perigeaux (sp?) I no longer wear, but it was not water-proof. I've always worn my watch on my left wrist and when I'd forget, I would get it wet while catching minnows out of my bait bucket. I'd take it to my jeweler to dry, but once I noticed his method of setting the watch on the metal hood of his bench light, I started just doing that myself at home...Geo

Last edited by Geo. Newbern; 03/06/13 05:18 PM. Reason: remembered the name of the watch
Sidelock
Sidelock

Hi Tudurgs.

I do understand about diver’s watches and let’s call them those extremely expensive non standard size “O” rings that the manufacturers would like us to replace about every week at considerable expense to us old men if they could get there own way. But lets get down to reality at sixty five years plus my days of scuba diving are now long gone so the only water my watches see is occasional dish washing if I loose the argument with the wife about whose turn it is to do it. Oh! I nearly forgot when I have one of those senior moments and step in the shower warning it which I do all the time. This is a little tongue in cheek but no matter how old the Rolex seals are they should be able manage to manage twenty feet in the local swimming pool or so rather than the two hundred meters it says on the dial.

The only lessons in my life I truly did learn from where the ones I paid for!
Sidelock
Sidelock

Hi jmc

The reason for both crowns on the watches being unscrewed was I was about to be working away in Eastern Europe before the Berlin wall came down and they where staying at home. To be wearing an expensive bright shiny watch was not a good idea at all if you wanted to stay un mugged at that time. The photograph I posted was one taken for my insurance company. The reason for the crowns being un screwed was a recommendation given to me many years before, you unscrew the crown and remove the pressure from the seal which I call an expensive “O-ring” to let it re shape its self which I still do out of habit today with the watch I am not using, which is now more often the Milsub on the left.

Last edited by damascus; 03/06/13 06:00 PM.

The only lessons in my life I truly did learn from where the ones I paid for!
Sidelock
Sidelock

I knocked the second hand off a Casio quartz while digging post holes with the old fashion, long handle kind of diger. The second hand gave me about a day free before it jambed the minute hand, which jambed the hour hand and brought the works to a grinding halt. A few $ at the mall watch repair station, "--- oh, and a new battery, please, whileyou are in among the guts," and it was good to go. However, I don't wear it anymore when digging post holes.

DDA

Sidelock
Sidelock

I can usually judge the time of day within 30 minutes and when I'm out shooting I really don't care about the time. I only wear a watch on semi formal occasions,I have a 30 year old Seiko Moon Phase I like.

I have my Dad's watch my mom gave to him when they got married, one of the first Bulova electrics. About as thick as a stack of 4 quarters and the tuning fork movement keeps me up at night it's so loud. Doesn't make it around much.

My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income.
- Errol Flynn
GF1 Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I hate to think how many rounds this one has endured. Last cleaned in mid-90s, bought new in 1991, worn every day. I'd say it doesn't matter...

Sidelock
Sidelock

Battery? Electric? I'm not at that level yet. I found a great guy who knows what makes the old hand wound Seamaster work.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Most of the watches pictured on this thread are so big you may as well wear a Grandfather clock on your wrist. crazy I'll stick with a pocket watch.

Practice safe eating. Always use a condiment.
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.