April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (Tom Shaffer, Argo44, SKB, 1 invisible), 1,058 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,469
Posts545,146
Members14,409
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 16 of 37 1 2 14 15 16 17 18 36 37
Sidelock
Sidelock

Just a few points, some of which I and other posters raised earlier but later posters obviously have not digested the entire thread. 1. No 98% finished barrel set is going to be adaptable to a large percentage of original guns, not only because of size, but because of cocking mechanisms and other mechanical differences. The dream of fitting old guns with the new barrels is mostly just that, a dream. 2. Tim, one of the posters on the "Frame Size" thread on the old Lefever site claimed to have seen a 12 gauge on a XX frame. Only problem is that we don't know if he did see one and we don't know whether the XX frame he may have seen was a standard 1" frame or one of the "non standard" 1 1/16" frames. The centers of two 12 gauge primers with the rims of the shells touching are approximately 7/8", so a very marginal 12 gauge gun could be made on an XX standard frame, but the tubes would have to share part of a chamber wall, not a common way to build a shotgun, but not impossible. Actually, from my coarse measurements, the total chamber wall for the two 12 gauge barrels on a 1" frame seems to be about .250". Half of that would not be sufficient, but a shared wall of .025 would probably be OK. 3. Steven M., your "too large" 28 gauge on an XX Frame is the same dimension as an 0 Frame 28 Gauge Parker, not an unattractive gun. The same size Lefever frame would be much more attractive because of the swamped in front end which the 0 Frame Parker does not share (to the same extent). 4. BBMan2, the "Frame Size" thread on the old Lefever site did not uncover any of the firing pin dimensions you mentioned (1 1/32"). All XX frames mentioned on that thread were 1" except one that was claimed to have been 1 1/16". I don't know what to think since I did not measure any other than my own gun. The conclusion that was probably reached on that thread was that 1" was the standard. Now I am not so sure unless your ruler is defective. 5. VineferaVizslas, everyone at Lefever that I am aware of was a setter man. Fred Howlett had English Setters, John Nichols had Gordons and Irish Setters, and Jacob Glahn also had Gordons. I can't remember what Dan hunted over, but judging from the others' preferences, I would assume Uncle Dan was a setter man also. I will continue research on this important aspect of the new Lefever project. Bill Murphy

Sidelock
Sidelock

Peter M said: "If funds got tight, I would invest in the wood and stock work now. The gun can be engraved much later."
Others had have also mentioned this.
My question is; Since the guns will be produced in the white, would they need to be case hardened to shoot? Can they be shot in the white till engraved and then hardened? Or, would they have to be hardened to shoot, then annealed and engraved and re-hardened?
Jake

R. Craig Clark
jakearoo(at)cox.net
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Mornin' Mr. Craig, Gun would have to be cased. If to be later engraved, it would have to be annealed first. Ken

Mr Eightbore, Have received your finished P. butt plate & it waits your arrival. Also, Please call me as I have something I'd like to talk over with you. Ken

Ken Hurst
910-221-5288
Sidelock
Sidelock

Ken,
I didn't see where you guys discussed reciever metals. But, would this gun be 4140?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: eightbore
...5. VineferaVizslas, everyone at Lefever that I am aware of was a setter man. Fred Howlett had English Setters, John Nichols had Gordons and Irish Setters, and Jacob Glahn also had Gordons. I can't remember what Dan hunted over, but judging from the others' preferences, I would assume Uncle Dan was a setter man also. I will continue research on this important aspect of the new Lefever project. Bill Murphy

Definitely setter heavy.

Pete

I asked in a previous reply if my memory is faulty since the stroke, or is there someone out there that can make modern steel barrels look like Damascus. I hate to think I dreamed it up. But, you never know after a cerebral event.

Bill

I can't be too bad, my dogs will kiss me.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Mr. Chick, the external metal (frame, forend & TG) will be 8620. All internal parts will use the best steel available for their particular need. IE --- triggers, sears and hammer will be best grade D2 & etc. for different parts. I spoke with Steve E. while ago and he said he would try to find time to check in for a short post today. He works the hours I do and seven days a week --- pleasure time is short for him too. Ken

Ken Hurst
910-221-5288
Sidelock
Sidelock

RGS - this what you're remembering?

http://www.damasteel.biz

I think if you check applications, you'll find what you're recalling.

Strokes can be scary things. Hope you're recovering well from yours. All the best.

Norm,
Thanks for the information. That does not seem like I remember. I thought it was a coating that was applied, then a chemical was used to etch a damascus like design onto the barrels. Then everything was nuetralized and finished to your preference. My stroke was about the most frightening thing I could have imagined. Thankfully, I recovered completely in less than 6 months. I have no paralysis, speech problems or weakness. I returned to work in 4 months. I had a pretty massive stroke that hit my temporal lobe on the right side. The only thing I am left with is the knowledge that I have 95% chance for a second stroke, that will leave kill me if I am lucky, or leave me a vegatable if I am not.

Bill

I can't be too bad, my dogs will kiss me.
Sidelock
Sidelock

RGS,

Your memory is working just fine. There was an article in "The American Rifleman" April 1976 about it. I have also seen very bad attempts using paint.

Pete

Page 16 of 37 1 2 14 15 16 17 18 36 37

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.