March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (dukxdog, Ian Forrester, Perry M. Kissam, Roundsworth, GSPWillie, 1 invisible), 328 guests, and 9 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts543,999
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

Interesting stuff, guys. Thanks.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Krieghoff at Ottsville does that procedure on the trunnion recesses of the K-32 and the K--80. I have seen the setup. I have no idea why they don't just use oversize trunnions, but I guess they want to return the gun to its original dimensions.

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Steve & Frank, thanks for sharing. Interesting method. I have a question, what advantage does your method have over a method such as precision laser welding the hook? It seems to me that as much tig welding that is going on in your method you are running the risk of excessive heat transfer from that lump to the braze or solder, possibly causing something to come loose. You're right, theres more than one way to skin a cat, both of your methods seem to be overkill. Does it take you the same amount of time doing this method compared to how you used to do it? Are the results that much better? Thanks.

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

SKB,
When answering LeFusil, could you also address the advantage of this method over replacing the hingepin?
Mike

Sidelock
Sidelock

If I may,
It decreases the amount of file time.
It accommodates less than parallel file strokes.
Welding up the hook can be outsourced.

No reason to make reamers or engrave a replacement pin.

Time is after all, money.
Rejointing costs 2x as much here as in Britain, where it's done all the time.

Out there doing it best I can.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Replacing a pin is not even in my vocabulary. With a Parker it is impossible, there is no "pin". With guns with flush mounted pins, it is a nightmare. Working on the hook is the only way.

SKB Online Content OP
Sidelock
OP Online Content
Sidelock

Gents,
I find this to be the most seemless, evidence free method of repair that I have used to date. I get excellent contact and the mill cuts straighter than I can file. It does not get near hot enough to compromise a silver solder joint. This method takes more time to layout and set up and less file time. Overall it is more costly, it does take a bit longer and I have increased costs for the welding and shipping, but I feel the final product is worth it.

this method vs replacing the pin is dependent upon the gun. I will usually build a new pin given that option. Just my opinion, but I feel if it is a good gun and it was designed to have a replaceable pin, that is the way to go. Others will disagree.

Parkers.....I'm getting to that. Soon I will be making new knuckles just the way the Brothers P went about tighten up one of their guns.

Steve

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
Sidelock
Sidelock

Well, Steve, if you can build a good replacement Parker knuckle you'll find yourself with too much business to do any other gunsmithing.

When an old man dies a library burns to the ground. (Old African proverb)
SKB Online Content OP
Sidelock
OP Online Content
Sidelock

Like everything else, it is hard to get the time to work out the process. We are building a new cocking hooking for a 2 barrel set DHE now. The clients needs forced me to take on the job. The engineering aspect of it usually takes as long or longer than the actual building of the part. Were some one to need a new knuckle....I'll build it.

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
Sidelock
Sidelock

You need a lazer wielder like we use in jewelry to keep from heating up the barrel.I have asked around and ours are not big enough to wield that big a spot.

monty
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.