May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
5 members (1574trap, azgreg, Ken Nelson, Marks_21, Karl Graebner), 293 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,509
Posts545,645
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#320368 04/06/13 06:02 PM
CraigF Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

To me 5000 PSI is the same regardless of what powder you use...

An SR-7625 load and a 700X load for example both producing equal pressrues are the same regardless of the pressure curve.

I shoot a damascus double. A fellow shooter insisted some powders produce less stress because the pressure is spread out over a longer portion of the barrel.

I think it's hogwash. Opinions please.

Thanks,
CraigF

Ask not for whom the dog barks, it barks for thee...
NRA Life Member
Sidelock
Sidelock

Progressive powders do spread out the total pressure.

USMC Retired
Sidelock
Sidelock

You peaked my interest - I have 7 booked 1.25 lead loads from BPI laying in front of me all with identical components except the powder - pressures range for 7500 psi with 800X to 10,000 psi with Unique and 10,500 with WSF. IMO any two 10,000 psi loads place indentical stress on the firearm. If the pressure curve was significantly differnt the slower powder (providing same components) would show a lower pressure. Just out of curiosity what is your pressure goal for the Damascus barrels? Just my thoughts.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Husky:
Not to be a nudge... but the word is "piqued."

Sorry for the public schools...

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Bilious Bob
Husky:
Not to be a nudge... but the word is "piqued."

Sorry for the public schools...

Geez, just when you think you know some douchebag, he shows you he can masturbate mentally, too.

That's "too", as in addition to his normal form.

Will the wonders never cease, and, desist?

We can hope, I guess.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

"Normally" if you use powders having different burn rates with the same amount of shot to the same velocity you will get lower pressure with the slower powder. If you load them to the same pressure you would normally have a higher velocity with the slower powder. Although it will only be a slight amount the slower powder would also shift the point of max pressure a bit down the bbl. "Peak" pressure is normally measured at 1" from the breech to insure the max is always recorded. Even if the shift is only 1/16" the bbl wall is now a bit thinner.
By careful choice of powders you could load 1Ľoz of shot to 1300 fps & 1oz to 1200fps & have the same identical "Peak" pressure. If you think the heavier load doesn't put more stress on the gun, then you have a total failure to grasp internal ballistics.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
Sidelock

"An SR-7625 load and a 700X load for example both producing equal pressrues are the same regardless of the pressure curve."

That's just imbecility.

'Peak' pressure is just that, peak chamber pressure.

The work done is contained under the pressure curve.

That's why there's a curve.

"The price of good shotgunnery is constant practice" - Fred Kimble
CraigF Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Shotgunjones-

But will it make a difference in a gun proofed for 850BAR?

I keep pressures low, 50% or less of proof pressure 5000-6000 PSI.

Ask not for whom the dog barks, it barks for thee...
NRA Life Member
Sidelock
Sidelock

A chart showing 4 pressure curves all run with an identical 1Ľoz load to a 3 dram equivalent velocity has been posted here numerous times. This was run by DuPont back in the 1920's as I recall. Pressure curves are shown out to 10" from breech. Of note is the two points of maximum spread between the curves is first at the peak point inside the chamber, about 1˝" from breech. The curves all then cross & switch positions about at the end of the chamber. The 2nd point of max spread between them then occurs at from about 4-6" from breech. Now pressure is considerably lower at this point, "BUT" bbl walls are also considerably thinner here as well.
My personal take on older guns is to restrict the amount of shot used as well as its velocity to just what is actually needed. I then try to use the fastest powder that will keep pressure within a 7K-8K range & figure I am doing the gun the best favor by keeping as much of the pressure as possible within the chamber where its walls are thickest. Also I don't generally have to worry about Cold Weather Squibs this way.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
Sidelock

It takes the same energy to accelerate shot weight 'x' to velocity 'y' no matter the peak pressure involved.

It's just fizziks.

The pressure curve tells you where in the barrel the work is done.

The question is, as Miller points out, where would you like your 'stress'?

As far as does it make a difference... that's a question you have to answer for yourself. It's your gun and your eyeballs behind it.

"The price of good shotgunnery is constant practice" - Fred Kimble
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.