March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
9 members (Jimmy W, fullandfuller, craigd, Lloyd3, gasgunner, 1 invisible), 303 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,980
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
Sidelock

Hoof,
Many Birmingham made guns such as your Harrison and those described by gunman, have for example, the top rib engraved;
"London laminated steel,"
"London fine twist,"
"Best Damascus London,"
This was sales ploy aimed at potential customers,it has no connection with London makers or the location of business named on the lock plates.

Last edited by Roy Hebbes; 04/03/13 08:19 AM.

Roy Hebbes
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Looks like a nice gun. On my old Greener hammergun, the off center breech pin provides room for the top lever spring. I can just see the anchor for your spring in the photo.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Can hardened actions be engraved ? I'd presume that 'ironmongers' or trade guns would have the names engraved on the actions beforehand as the shops that sold such guns wouldn't have the skills necessary to properly harden them. On the other hand, the softer ribs would not be such a problem. Does that sound right ?

Rust never sleeps !
Sidelock
Sidelock

What Roy said

"London Damascus" was a lower grade 2 Iron Crolle' offered on Ferdinand Drissen's 1897-1898 price sheet.

Hoof Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I understand that it is a Birmingham gun, and that any mention of London is just marketing. I was hoping someone would have some info on FS Harrison as a gunmaker, or gunseller, whichever the case may be.
I find it hard to believe that this is the only gun so marked.
Thanks for all the info so far. I really like this gun (other than not being able to open the action with the hammers cocked) and the dimensions are close to mine with a strap on leather pad (I am tall).
CHAZ

Sidelock
Sidelock

I've found a couple of ironmonger/hardware shops, there's F S Harrison in Wales and a Fred Harrison in England, I'll phone them up after the weekend and find out if either sold guns in the past. It's a long shot but you never know.

Rust never sleeps !
Hoof Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: El Garro
I've found a couple of ironmonger/hardware shops, there's F S Harrison in Wales and a Fred Harrison in England, I'll phone them up after the weekend and find out if either sold guns in the past. It's a long shot but you never know.

Definitely "above and beyond." Thank you very much. I tried to google those businesses but found no information at all. I hope to finally try the old girl out tomorrow.
Thanks again,
CHAZ

Sidelock
Sidelock

I've been waylaid this week but got around to phoning today. No answer was the reply. I'll give them another go tomorrow.

Rust never sleeps !
Sidelock
Sidelock

Managed to contact F S Harrison ironmongers in South Wales today but sadly it was a dead end. They guy on the phone told me the firm had been in business for years but as far as he knew, they had never sold shotguns.
Always worth a try though eh. I'd guess there may be an American connection as the only other Harrison that came up on the Internet was a wall hanger in an auction over there a few years ago. It looked identical to yours so maybe a Birmingham gun sold through a dealer in the states ?

Rust never sleeps !
Hoof Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thank you so much for trying. I found that same old auction for the junker Harrison, and it was the only other gun marked with that name I could find online.

If anyone asks about its provenance I guess I will just tell them it is "one of two known." LOL

Thanks again,
CHAZ

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.