March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
8 members (FlyChamps, ksauers1, Ken Nelson, Lloyd3, Jimmy W, 2 invisible), 308 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts543,995
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
rrrgcy Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Host please move as needed. Just a safety reminder; it could be the other guy that hits your car! I couldn't think of another description. Lovely day, take the 1926 Ithaca NID out for a ride. Went to shoot skeet today at my local range. Focused on getting ready, happy to run my lovely SxS again. So I sat at the picnic rest table about 15 yards behind Stations 2-3 while waiting for the on-field crew to complete their round. I noticed a couple guys in the crew were of latter age, however one seemed to move about like my father (early 80's in age). At least he's still ambulatory, I Know! However, what i really noticed was this gentleman, decked out rather richly in shooting attire, was having minor trouble keeping his muzzle directed "downrange" while fiddling with loading. And also while concluding a shot and while still in the box.

Then, while he was standing in the box at low house Station 7, he took one shot but had some malfunction. He proceeded to try to clear the malfunction by partly bending over at the waist and leveling the shotgun with his paws all over the receiver. Yes, w/ his back against the house, while trying to clear the gun he proceeded to intermittently sweep the field with the muzzle, occasionally swinging it even PAST my direction.

Pretty much simultaneously, my gut told me to take cover so I stood up and told the fellow who just came off the line the issue and we both hopped back some yards and stood behind a very thick concrete light post. I wasn't going to stand around exposed or walk across a field to address this right then. I presumed that during my distraction to move to cover in haste that the RO handled it.

As we muttered to one another, the malfunction appeared fixed and the crew moved to the center, Station 8. He attempted to take a shot, then again bent over to help clear a malfunction by way of same process above. Bent over, muzzle leveled and swinging erratically this way and that while he fixated on the receiver. And BANG! Shot the damn high house Station 1 wall in an area about 4 feet up above ground level. If the gun was pointed another 30 degrees wide it would've been a decent total body shot on us. He never much reacted, was allowed and proceeded to shoot the station, and walked off to the picnic table. His compatriots (none of whom seemed to know him) were seething. Yet this man, who for all sense didn't care a wit as to what just preceeded, went about his chatty business and eventually picked up and left. I chastised the range officer.

It reminds me of an octgenarian who being parked in front of a store on Main Street just up and starts the car and plows forward into the building. Always they stand outside as though they were simply a witness and seem none to bothered of loss of property, much less potentially of life and limb. I'm afraid the range was being much too polite today and I have a scathing letter to write the county which runs it.

Maybe it's just his being callous, perhaps too proud, I don't know but I see a little of my dad in him, no harm no foul with a touch of in my dad's case his latter age results in this aspect of losing the ability to process things in three-dimension, that is, his being too uni-dimensionally focused on a task without paying attention to the bigger picture.

The gentleman above had a really nicely stocked semi-auto (didn't pay much attention to make) which may have been part of the problem, however, my point is ALWAYS take care to observe the field and firstly protect yourself. We may have looked silly out of all caution hiding behind the concrete post, but "it" could've happened.

Last edited by rrrgcy; 04/13/13 01:02 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

There comes a time for all of us..... I think it is better to be the bad guy and insist that the old guy be disarmed and removed from the range than to have to watch his agony after he maims or kills someone.....and it's much better for his prospective unsuspecting victim.

Sidelock
Sidelock

too bad...but, maybe he learned something that day as well?

keep it simple and keep it safe...
Sidelock
Sidelock

Thank you for posting this. The RO should have intervened. But since he didn't, it would have been perfectly acceptable for you to say something.

I have seen similar things and am myself getting into that precarious age. I'm in my 70s and most of the guys I shoot and hunt with are also. We are all aware of the possibilities of our frailties and we do watch each other and will comment if necessary.

We also use only doublegun shotguns and bolt-action or double rifles. I personally will not hunt with someone using an autoloader.

There does come a time when we all have to pack it in. And hopefully we do it before we cause a tragedy.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Well this thread is a downer. I hope I'll realize it when it comes time for me to put it all down. My wife and children are already on my back about hunting alone...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

My son had a "negligent discharge" while shooting sporting clays two years ago(he was 8 YO). I think that when he used his thumb to push forward the safety his fingers instinctively came back and tripped the trigger. The reason I mention it is that other than there being no target in the sky you could not tell he didn't intend to fire. The gun was pointed safely downrange, exactly where he was going to shoot at the target. Proper muzzle control is, to me, the most important part of safe gun handling. Even if there hadn't been a shot fired at that skeet range today the response should have been swift to remind the old guy where his gun was pointed. I will, right or wrong, tell anyone if they sweep people with their muzzle. I would thank anyone who would tell me the same thing if I were in the wrong.
CHAZ

Last edited by Hoof; 04/13/13 04:28 PM.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The members of the squad are responsible for this shooter's behavior. They should have intervened. End of story.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: rrrgcy
Host please move as needed. Just a safety reminder; it could be the other guy that hits your car! I couldn't think of another description. Lovely day, take the 1926 Ithaca NID out for a ride. Went to shoot skeet today at my local range. Focused on getting ready, happy to run my lovely SxS again. So I sat at the picnic rest table about 15 yards behind Stations 2-3 while waiting for the on-field crew to complete their round. I noticed a couple guys in the crew were of latter age, however one seemed to move about like my father (early 80's in age). At least he's still ambulatory, I Know! However, what i really noticed was this gentleman, decked out rather richly in shooting attire, was having minor trouble keeping his muzzle directed "downrange" while fiddling with loading. And also while concluding a shot and while still in the box.

Then, while he was standing in the box at low house Station 7, he took one shot but had some malfunction. He proceeded to try to clear the malfunction by partly bending over at the waist and leveling the shotgun with his paws all over the receiver. Yes, w/ his back against the house, while trying to clear the gun he proceeded to intermittently sweep the field with the muzzle, occasionally swinging it even PAST my direction.

Pretty much simultaneously, my gut told me to take cover so I stood up and told the fellow who just came off the line the issue and we both hopped back some yards and stood behind a very thick concrete light post. I wasn't going to stand around exposed or walk across a field to address this right then. I presumed that during my distraction to move to cover in haste that the RO handled it.

As we muttered to one another, the malfunction appeared fixed and the crew moved to the center, Station 8. He attempted to take a shot, then again bent over to help clear a malfunction by way of same process above. Bent over, muzzle leveled and swinging erratically this way and that while he fixated on the receiver. And BANG! Shot the damn high house Station 1 wall in an area about 4 feet up above ground level. If the gun was pointed another 30 degrees wide it would've been a decent total body shot on us. He never much reacted, was allowed and proceeded to shoot the station, and walked off to the picnic table. His compatriots (none of whom seemed to know him) were seething. Yet this man, who for all sense didn't care a wit as to what just preceeded, went about his chatty business and eventually picked up and left. I chastised the range officer.

It reminds me of an octgenarian who being parked in front of a store on Main Street just up and starts the car and plows forward into the building. Always they stand outside as though they were simply a witness and seem none to bothered of loss of property, much less potentially of life and limb. I'm afraid the range was being much too polite today and I have a scathing letter to write the county which runs it.

Maybe it's just his being callous, perhaps too proud, I don't know but I see a little of my dad in him, no harm no foul with a touch of in my dad's case his latter age results in this aspect of losing the ability to process things in three-dimension, that is, his being too uni-dimensionally focused on a task without paying attention to the bigger picture.

The gentleman above had a really nicely stocked semi-auto (didn't pay much attention to make) which may have been part of the problem, however, my point is ALWAYS take care to observe the field and firstly protect yourself. We may have looked silly out of all caution hiding behind the concrete post, but "it" could've happened.
And, if I read the map correctly- lower bottom left- they have a shooter's table named after a Navy ship- the US Picninc--wonder what class- must have occurred on a USN Base- where they have a Base recreation Skeet Field--

Some years ago, in Nov-- our area Rod and Gun Club had their annual running deer target competition- A man had his 13 year old son on the range, in the middle peg of a five man stand- each shooter took his turn in order, from peg one to peg five-- Three shots, with various scores on the moving targets at 75 yards-- The boy had a M-1 Carbine with a short magazine, and fired the first shot, the apparently had either a hang-fire or a miss-fire- if he had kept the muzzle pointed either at the ground, or down range towards the target, OK- the RO could have taken charge- but he turned around 180 degrees with the bolt closed and the muzzle sweeping the crowd- old USMC Boot Camp and ITR training took over- I hit the deck- others didn't- fortunately the weapon didn't fire- RO took over, and the boy's father couldn't understand what his son had done wrong-- Nowadays, except for sighting in Day at fixed targets, I don't use Rod and Gun clubs for sighting in, and as I have never been a clays shooter, don't do much of that either. But I agree- NO gun is ever safer than the man holding it, but I feel less threatened by a potential disaster like this when others are using break-action shotguns, and not pumps or autoloaders--

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

His squad members should have been all over him the first time that muzzle wandered from pointing down range.I've even seen it happen with younger shooters who thought they knew it all.I'll never forget the autopsy of a guy, shot by an irritated husband, that was so far away that the #6 shot was spread from his head to his ankle. He died instantly from one #6 in his temple. The shooter was sure that all he would do was dust him with shot and scare him away from further contact with his wife.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Gnomon
Thank you for posting this. The RO should have intervened. But since he didn't, it would have been perfectly acceptable for you to say something.

I have seen similar things and am myself getting into that precarious age. I'm in my 70s and most of the guys I shoot and hunt with are also. We are all aware of the possibilities of our frailties and we do watch each other and will comment if necessary.

We also use only doublegun shotguns and bolt-action or double rifles. I personally will not hunt with someone using an autoloader.

There does come a time when we all have to pack it in. And hopefully we do it before we cause a tragedy.

If you still think Obama is the best man to run this country, your time already has come!

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.