Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
#322045 04/20/13 10:10 AM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I am considering purchasing a used 12 gauge sidelock in the $4k to $6k range preferably with 29"-30" barrels.I intend to use in the field, at vintage events and informal clay shooting. It would be nice if it had "decent" engraving and wood.
After an extensive search of online resources and advertisements, it appears that I might purchase either an old Birmingham (non-London) gun or a lightly used AyA or Arrieta Spanish entry-level gun. Both options would suffice.
I have to consider functionality and resale value at some point. I can't afford to buy high and sell low.
Assuming I can find one of each with similar configurations, which would you choose and most importantly WHY?

Last edited by muchatrucha; 04/20/13 10:12 AM.

The only constant in life is change.
SKB Online Content
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Easy choice for me, I see them taken to bits all the time. Give me the Brummy gun. Why? Fit, Finish, metalurgy(no soft parts on a Brit gun) etc, etc, etc.

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
gjw Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Hi, quite the question, I'm sure you'll get plenty of responses. Just my 2C worth. The Spanish gun market at this time is a bit weak in the resale area, but with that, who knows what the future will hold. Perhaps in a couple or more years the market will take an upswing. One of those things that no one can predict. An advantage with modern Spanish guns is if they come from a good maker, they will for the most part be a good pick up and go gun. Regardless of what some will say, Spanish guns can be gems, sure there are dogs out there, but overall the guns will be decent hunting guns if you don't abuse them and treat them kindly.

With vintage Brit guns, there is a whole set of issues if you will. Are the bbls good, is the gun in proof,any problems with the stock (old cracks, repairs oil soaked wood etc), has the gun been monkeyed with over the years and a host of other issues. A good Brit gun can be a joy to hold and use, the resale maybe an issue also. Most of the times a Brit gun will hold it's value, but if your looking at a good shooter, your not going to make a ton of money on resale. Right now there are a lot of Brit guns on the market and there will be for quite a while. You should get your investment back I would think. As I said, with a Brit gun, do your homework first, it will payoff. The one downside to Brit guns is you'll have to shoot low pressure loads in it. With Spanish guns, any off the shelf loads will be just fine.

As I said, just my 2c worth.

Good luck! Most of the fun is in the looking!

Greg

Gregory J. Westberg
MSG, USA
Ret
Sidelock
Sidelock

Both the British Brummies and the better Spanish guns are hand-made (no through-bolts and mono-block tubes). Both should do the job quite nicely (good weight & balance, and good fit & finish). For roughly the same money, the Spanards might be a bit more decorous. GJW summed it up nicely above.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Spanish guns are made by chimps out of cheese. Buy a British gun. You will not regret it.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The Burmy for the tradition and heritage......the Spanish gun carefully chosen for utility. If the Spanish market is soft right now you may be in a good negotiating position. No off brands and no guns from the DIARM period though.

When an old man dies a library burns to the ground. (Old African proverb)
SKB Online Content
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Chimps out cheese! I'll remember that one......

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
Sidelock
Sidelock

hello muchtrucha,
some british guns can become bottomless moneypits if you are not careful or are unlucky.i do prefer a british gun for feel, tradition, looks etc but for ease and cost of repair the spanish must be considered.just something else to consider.
some spanish guns are very well made and appealing in looks.my opinion.

cheers
mrwmartin.

NA
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Small Bore
Spanish guns are made by chimps out of cheese.

Quit beating around the bush Dig, tell us what you really think!

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
Sidelock

There are lots of Spanish guns sold in England and several English marked guns that originate in Spain. Buy the gun's quality, not the name or country as is often said.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.