April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (dogon, JBG, ClapperZapper, KDGJ), 1,106 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,469
Posts545,144
Members14,409
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 23 of 37 1 2 21 22 23 24 25 36 37
Sidelock
Sidelock

This talk of "sticking to the original" seems misguided if the project is to happen at all. If using different steel is ok, and using different construction techniques to arrive at the finished product is ok, then why not other changes? Would you give it 2 1/2" chambers becasue Uncle Dan did?? It is an arbitrary line at best over exactly what would be "stuck to" and what would not be, and seems like a slippery slope best not stayed on top of.
Seems to me that it is not a Lefever being debated, and never will be--it is a modern gun based on the design of a lefever. To stick only to the original would be unnecessarily limiting and would make it less of a gun at the end of the day--why try to make it something it's not?? If you want a Lefever, shoot one--no one will force you to buy one of these. If you want a modern gun with the best qualities of a Lefever, you may have to make your own and stray from the original in the process.
Personally, a gun like this would be a financial stretch for me, but it's something that sounds very attractive and the facts that I might actually be able to afford it by spreading the cost over a longer period of time, and that I'll actually have a hand in having it built make it all the more alluring to me. However, if the NEW gun is to be built to a standard that doesn't allow the use of modern no-tox ammo, doesn't take advantage of the best technology available, etc then it makes it less attractive to me--I aim to use my guns. If I want to get it parkerized, put laminated stocks on it, and have Ken Hurst engrave it in a mossy oak shadowgrass camo pattern so I can hunt ducks with it "in style"--what difference would it make? It doesn't diminish the legacy of the original in the least, on the contrary i would find it a testament to the vision of its creator that people would find this 100 year old design not only applicable but preferable to its modern counterparts.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Before the use of the Infallible Single Trigger is engraved in stone, do we know how this trigger works? Let me give a synopsis of operational peculiarities. If we fire the right barrel, open the gun to reload, the next barrel to fire will be the left. If we fire both barrels, right barrel first, open the gun to reload, the next barrel to fire will be the right. This is a system unfamiliar to all modern shooters. It requires a movement of the selector every time we fire only one shell. The Infallible may be fairly reliable as ninety year old single triggers go, I use a couple of them myself, but is probably far from the best available today. It also requires a big hole and a big button to the left of the top tang of our new gun.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

You are correct about the pecularities of this trigger Eightbore but I felt it was reliable & thought probably most everyone knew how it worked. I do appreciate you bringing this point out. My impression from email I have received at home & mention here is that most would opt for dbl triggers.

As Buck Hamlen said --- the design doesn't need changing internally BUT, tighter tolerances, better steels , specialty heat treating, hand polished parts qill certainly make for a superior gun compaired to an original piece. The idea of not using a dolls head was for cost saving as the DS rib extension is as strong. The decision on this matter is still up in the air. Ken

Ken Hurst
910-221-5288

Ken, Oscar felt the simpliest, most durable, and reliable single trigger out there was the Stevens 311 trigger. I believe he also "grafted" some to other American SxS's. Still have to go with KISS, DT/extractors. Best, BILL

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Dr. Bill, you are the second person to mention the Stevens 31 trigger. Perhaps this bears looking into --- thanks, ken

Ken Hurst
910-221-5288
Sidelock
Sidelock

Ken - you seem to be going about this the right way. Those that want everything "just like Uncle Dan did it" probably won't be buying into your project no matter how close to the original you come. The only point of re-doing something is to improve upon it.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thank you guys for your support, it certainly is appreciated along with your guidence. After all, to a certain degree you are helping to creat this piece with your ideas of what a perfect modern US made gun should be. Believe me when I say, we will spare no expense producing the highest quality gun we can But, not to be frivilous and just throw money away. All the suggestions will be taken in to account while programing the CNC program.

Dave Furman, the chambers for the 12 ga. will be 2 3/4", 16 ga. will be 2 3/4" and 20 will be 3" ---- all will have long forcing cone --- chokes will be full/full to allow client to determine desired choke. All these suggestions per Mr. Buck Hamlen opinion. Ken

Ken Hurst
910-221-5288
Sidelock
Sidelock

...and I had my mouth all set for a 20/28 ga set.

That 311 trigger design sounds promising. I agree with Murph, a trigger that has those peculiarities is not attractive to me. I was thinking about the BSS mechanical trigger design, but I'll look for an opportunity to study a 311. BTW, Western Gun Parts in Canada used to have BSS trigger parts if some are needed for study. Ken, I'll gladly loan my BSS SST gun to you guys for as long as needed for disassembly and study. I don't shoot it much anyway and it's no cherry. That trigger has been reliable thru at least 20k rounds.

Last edited by Chuck H; 03/23/07 07:14 PM.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Chuck, don't give up on the 28 ga. We have to start small but with enough demand would offer it too. Thanks for the offer of the trigger --- will get back to you on this. Ken

Ken Hurst
910-221-5288
Sidelock
Sidelock

I'll buy the first high condition Fox BST I can find at a reasonable price for test fire, but the only reasonable ones I've seen lately in high condition have been twelves. Maybe someone would donate a Stevens or Fox single trigger gun for the "makers" to study. Sorry, I don't own one.

Page 23 of 37 1 2 21 22 23 24 25 36 37

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.