April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (Mark II, SKB, Lloyd3, 3 invisible), 1,067 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,434
Posts544,719
Members14,402
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Sidelock
Sidelock

My advice is dont make the same mistake I did and pick up and shoulder an English made sidelock if you dont have the money to buy it. Just look at it and leave it sit. Then go buy an American, Spanish, Japanese or whatever.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I believe that all English, American, Spanish, Japanese, and Belgian make some good and affordable guns. They all also make guns that are not very good or actually affordable.

The English gun is the standard for many today in terms of the weight, balance, mechanics, etc. It is also valued in terms of higher price. That said all those I listed after English make examples of guns that match or exceed them for the money.

A while back I decided to give up on the name English guns not because they were not good, they are good, but because I could get a much better gun for my money chasing after Belgian SLE's.

I believe the same choice could have been made for Spanish or Japanese guns and even some selected German guns.

As many have noted in this thread, the most important factor is how the gun performs with the individual buyer. It is a matter of taste.

Last edited by old colonel; 04/26/13 09:24 AM. Reason: spelling

Michael Dittamo
Topeka, KS
Sidelock
Sidelock

Anyone know anything about the Renato Gamba SLE spaggetti guns?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Old Colonel,
Good man!
I am a big fan of Belgian Best..I really like some of their engraving ,their version of Rose n scroll, but different, with longish ribbons weaved through it.Dunno what you'd call it.
cheers
Franc

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Franc Otte
Old Colonel,
Good man!
I am a big fan of Belgian Best..I really like some of their engraving ,their version of Rose n scroll, but different, with longish ribbons weaved through it.Dunno what you'd call it.
cheers
Franc

I have heard it referred to as Banner and Scroll, but I am unsure if that appelation is correct.

1924 16ga Louis Christophe by Jules Bury engragraved by Jules E. Schoffeniels

1925 12ga Louis Christophe by Jules Bury engragraved by Jules E. Schoffeniels

Last edited by old colonel; 04/26/13 01:08 PM.

Michael Dittamo
Topeka, KS
Sidelock
Sidelock

Here are two Spanish interpretations of that style - very nice designs but not quite in the same league as M. Schoffeniels' work:

I believe this engraving style shows up on some older Beretta SOs as well.

Such a long, long time to be gone, and a short time to be there.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Doverham you reference "M. Schoffeniels" I know Jules Eugene Schoffeniels'(B.1892, D.1982) father was also a noted engraver, but to date I have not seen any work by him that I can be sure is attributed to him. I believe his father was Jules Mathieu Schoffeniels B.1857, D.?)

I have been lucky enough to have some picture of Jules Eugene Schoffeniels emailed from his grandson Michel.

His grandson held that his great grandfather Jules Mathieu Schoffeniels was a more famous engraver than Jules Eugene Schoffeniels, but could not say much more.

Do you have anything on Jules Mathieu Schoffeniels?

Michael Dittamo
Topeka, KS
Sidelock
Sidelock

No, I know of him only from your reference (M. was meant to reference Monsieur)

Clearly JES was an engraver of unusual skill - if his father was better, I would love to see his work.

Such a long, long time to be gone, and a short time to be there.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: old colonel
Originally Posted By: Franc Otte
Old Colonel,
Good man!
cheers
Franc

I have heard it referred to as Banner and Scroll, but I am unsure if that appelation is correct.

1925 12ga Louis Christophe by Jules Bury engragraved by Jules E. Schoffeniels
Outstanding banner and scroll by a true Master- do those guns shoot as well as they look? I'll bet they do--

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

Doverham, I failed to say those guns are quite nice.

In answer to the last posted question I regularly use both guns. The 16 SLE is my primary gun at 6lbs and change with 27in barrels, the 12 SLE is my heavy gun at 7lbs 3oz with 30inch Barrels and Briley tubes.

They by chance and luck are nearly identically stocked.

I feel guilty that I have diverted the focus of this thread. While the discussion of good Belgian guns adds to the information on candidates for a good SLE which would hold resale value. They are examples of quality lesser known makers that do not draw the same price level as their British cousins. However the reality is that if I were interested in selling them I would not draw the money I paid and would lose money on them.

Michael Dittamo
Topeka, KS
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.