April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
3 members (Gunning Bird, Ted Schefelbein, FlyChamps), 432 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,470
Posts545,148
Members14,409
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 24 of 37 1 2 22 23 24 25 26 36 37
Sidelock
Sidelock

Ken,
I understand the gauges you are currently considering. They'll be a good market for the 12 and 20 and likely the 16 will get some decent interest. But, I just haven't warmed up to the 16, especially in a modern load capable gun comparison. I'm of the opinion that a 20 and a 12 bridge this gap nicely with modern loads. A slightly heavy 20g load or a light 12g load pretty much does it for me.

Sidelock
Sidelock

But, I just haven't warmed up to the 16, especially in a modern load capable gun comparison. I'm of the opinion that a 20 and a 12 bridge this gap nicely with modern loads. A slightly heavy 20g load or a light 12g load pretty much does it for me.

Then don't get one Chuck. But, that doesn't mean there aren't just as many who won't go for the 20 or 12. There are plenty of us who appreciate the 16's strengths, namely the ability to deliver faster, larger payloads than a 20, without the added heft and weight of a 12, or the added expense and extra recoil of magnum 20 loads. The 16 does fill a niche, and it does it wonderfully well. Indeed, if only one gauge were to be offered, I would argue the 16 would be the best all around choice from a handling and payload perspective. What can't a modern 16 do compared to a light 12 or a 20?

Imagination is everything. - Einstein
Sidelock
Sidelock

I knew I shouldn't a posted about the 16 just as soon as I had clicked the submit button. Marklart, no offense or arguement intended. Some have more reason to want a 16 than I. You may want to argue that the 16 is the the best allround choice, but I don't want to nor really think it's relavent. What matters is that the chamberings offerred sell enough to justify the work to offer them. In the crowd that this gun will attract, I have confidence the 16 will sell well, maybe the best of the bunch. If only one gauge were to be offered I personally think Tony picked the right one for the RBL for purely volume of sales.

I'm just being selfish like the rest of the bunch and would like a 20-28 combo or even a 20-.410 combo. Just a boring 28" length barrels. 6-6 1/4 lbs would suit me for both gauges to a T.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

As of this Monday, Iwill be working with representives of the Italian commercial attache. The purpose being to locate and contact quality/specialty bbl makers in the Bresia Valley/Gardone areas. Don't know how long it will take to find a first class bbl maker and work something out but will be staedy at it. Even in this scaled down Mayberry RFD ( Robersonville) , we have a small Italian restuarant with a native born Italian owner. Fortunately, we are friends so he will talk/email these co's. in Italian for me. Hopefully this will make it easier to get things done. More to come as I get it. Ken

Ken Hurst
910-221-5288
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Ken Hurst
....Believe me when I say, we will spare no expense producing the highest quality gun we can But, not to be frivilous and just throw money away...

Dave Furman, the chambers for the 12 ga. will be 2 3/4", 16 ga. will be 2 3/4" and 20 will be 3" ---- all will have long forcing cone --- chokes will be full/full to allow client to determine desired choke. All these suggestions per Mr. Buck Hamlen opinion. Ken

Ken,

Very sweet indeed. A set of 20ga barrels with 3" chambers and long cones and ready to have the chokes opened a bit. I couldn't ask for any better. I will be interested to see the pricing on barrel sets. While I don't want another 12ga, a 16ga barrel set would entice me if the price is within reach. Especially in a gun that weighs in around 6lbs. Yeah, I know you can cover the 16ga in other ways, but hey, if that is way it should work, then all I would need was a 10ga and a reloading bench. I have grown to like the 28ga recently, but personally feel it should have a light frame. Decisions, decisions, another set of barrels or more engraving.

Pete

Sidelock
Sidelock

All,

Recognize that Ken is dubious about adding intercepting sears.

Believe people more knowledgeable than I should weigh in on the topic, Darryl H, what do you think? Ken, can you get Buck H to give a view? How about Kirk Merrington? Crossed Chisels, David T., do you care to share a view?

My understanding is that best guns, sidelock or boxlock have intercepting sears. L.C. Smith and Crescent do not, but that should not be a precedent. Only issues here are whether it's an important safety function and does that merit the added cost.

Regards, Tim

Sidelock
Sidelock

Sorry Chuck for being defensive. No excuse on my part; it's silly, and just a gun after all.

What is the value of intercepting sears vs. non-intercepting? Curious minds would like to know.

Have a great Saturday everyone!

Imagination is everything. - Einstein
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Tim, wanted to keep this gun as close to original as possible while using better materials & etc. I'm not saying no to your idea now --- will have to give thought to your requeat as well as hearing from interested parties here. Ken

Ken Hurst
910-221-5288
Sidelock
Sidelock

Intercepting sears, correctly designed, can prevent a gun from firing if accidentily dropped. Another approach may be a safety/hammer blocking arrangement. The consideration is - how far to deviate from the original Lefever design.

I like the idea of a hammer blocking arrangement for safety reasons;however, is this feature justied by additional design/mfgr costs.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I just found out about this project from the LeFever forum. I am very interested.
One question, would modern metal change the weight and balance characteristics from the original significantly?
Two comments:
I agree with the poster that a facilitator, to move the project along through each step would be helpful to those who have never attempted something like this, working with custom stockers, engravers and metal folks.

I don't know if the legal matter for a name has been looked into. The LeFever Arms Co. name is still being used by the gunsmithing business in Lee Center,NY. It is no longer in the hands of anybody in the LeFever family since Bob LeFever retired and sold out. Bob passed away a couple of years ago. I would suggest considering using the D.M. LeFever (+/- "and Sons)name. That hasn't been used for 100 years and I am not aware of anybody in the family who would object although I haven't polled them lately.

Great-Great Grandson of D.M. Lefever
www.lefevercollectors.com
Page 24 of 37 1 2 22 23 24 25 26 36 37

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.