March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (bigblock, Borderbill, NCTarheel, SKB, docbill, battle), 866 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,019
Members14,391
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#323116 04/30/13 09:30 AM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

After the help with figuring out the Damascus pattern on my barrels in another post here, now I can post the rest of the story.

This 16 ga George Gibbs hammer gun came into our possession (my son's and mine) about a year ago. It was pretty rough as you can see from the pictures below. The checkering was only a memory, the dropper points just a shadow of their former selves. The barrels were so dark that unless you held the gun in the light just right, the Damascus patter was very hard to see. Black powder proof only, but remarkable, the barrels hadn't been touched from what we could tell. They were pitted inside, and looked pretty bad. Wood was black as you can see from the picture. Barrel flats were stamped "Not for Ball" so we knew what we had on the "newest end" of the spectrum. Off to Kirk Merrington in Kerrville, Tx for a better inspection. Yes the gun was off face, but the Stanton and Co locks were still in perfect shape when they were taken off for inspection. Both barrels had .050 wall thicknesses, both chokes were .050, Full and Full again, and the 2 1/2" chambers were unmolested. The verdict was the gun could be brought back to use with some judicious work. OK - re-jointed, forcing cones lengthened slightly, and the chokes opened to IC/M after the barrels were honed/lapped. Chokes and forcing cones were done in the sake of reducing pressure on Kirk's recommendation. Once honed, the barrels were .035 wall thickness, and only one small pit was visible in the choke area of the right barrel....of no consequence according to Kirk. Verdict - the gun would pass nitro proof is resubmitted, but was certainly safe to shoot with 2 1/2 low pressure shells. Several boxes of Kent 8s were obtained and blessed, and off to opening day she went. I cheated on day 1 and shot 28 ga inserts....what a hoot! Added a new Beretta opaque sticky comb pad and a leather boot to get the dimensions right. After 2 birds, it was "what hammers?" Limit of 15 White Wings was taken. Only fly in the ointment was a small chip appeared behind the left lock. Such is life. Day 2, went to the 16 ga ammo, and another limit fell; chip got bigger. I was hooked....now what to do about the overall condition and the chip.....

Last edited by Maxey Brantley; 04/30/13 09:45 AM.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

A better perspective of the size of the gun.

URL=http://s1275.photobucket.com/user/mdbphotobucket6/media/Gibbs%20Hammer%20Gun/photo_zps9af4e41f.jpg.html][/URL]

Last edited by Maxey Brantley; 04/30/13 09:51 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Lovely old gun , well proportioned and nicely filed up .Sympathetic renovation would make the old girl look much younger . Necessary action work aside re brown the barrels ,de oil the wood work and lightly recut the checker but not to sharp ,oil and buff for a satin finish boil off the action . whether you back the guard an lever is a matter of personal choice ,flame blue the pins .
I would not try to fully re cut the points but they can be tidied up a little and fill in the chips .
I always aim to make an old gun look as if it has been well cared for rather than trying to make it look "as new" which usually make them look awful .

Sidelock
Sidelock

Agree with Gunman. This gun deserves thoughtful, conservative restoration. A new finish and some wood repairs should be able to stabalize the patient. Rebrowning would provide very good results. Choke choice was prudent.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Gents - yes, you are on the money with your comments....this was a teaser..."after" pictures coming shortly! Too many projects this afternoon - perhaps this evening...
V/r
Maxey

Sidelock
Sidelock

You are probably aware that Gibbs are still in business under Mark Crudgington. Have you tried to contact them about your gun? http://www.gibbsgunmakers.com/ Lagopus.....

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Lagopus - yes, indeed, and I did contact Gibbs last year. Mark Crudgington was kind enough to provide what information he could. First, my serial number "B 4XX" indicated by the "B", a "brought in gun"....which I took to be a finished barreled action, which was engraved, stocked and finished by Gibbs. Based on the "Not for Ball" and other stylistic indications, he (and 2 other smiths) place teh gun as ~1882. He differed from Kirk concerning the lengthening of forcing cones and opening the chokes; he opined no lowering of internal pressures would result. Last week when I provide him "after" pictures and the belief the barrels were 6 iron Damascus, he replied: "The gun looks very good , well done . The 6 iron barrels are probably Belgian ,by the mid 1880s a high percentage of the tubes used came from Belgium where there was a huge ( and cheap ) cottage industry making Damascus tubes of all qualities , hence Greeners caustic comments in edition 9.
Hope you have fun with your bit of " living" history
Let me know how it goes.
Yours
Mark Crudgington"

So, here is one picture of the receiver "after" the project was completed. More pix to come later.
V/r
Maxey

Sidelock
Sidelock

Very nice, let's see the entire gun.

Mike Proctor
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Here are a few more pix....first thing some may say is the finish isn't "right", but a slacum finish wouldn't have stabilized the wood in the opinion of the smith who did the work. The wood was oil soaked, etc., and he though this the best way to go. I like it.

The horn tip was missing - new one fitted...bit out of focus. This is flat diamond English checkering.

Other side

Look what was hiding under all the oil, grit and grime...
The pink smear is a reflection of my smiling face after just opening the gun.

Last edited by Maxey Brantley; 04/30/13 11:50 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Magnificent!! A real beauty. Well done.......

nid-28
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.