March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (jake van dyke, HalfaDouble, dogon, Ian Forrester, Mills, 1 invisible), 551 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,009
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10
Sidelock
Sidelock

Obviously if you were firing a 10 Mag load of 2oz from a 7lb gun you would need more convergence than if firing a .410 oz load from a 10lb gun. That big load from the little gun is simply going to move it around more than the little load from a big gun. If you don't believe that "SHOOT" each of'em.
Barrel convergence is speaking of the mechanical alignment of the bores axis. When you are speaking of converging at 40yds, 75yds etc this is not the mechanical convergence of the bbls but where they are "Destined" to hit together.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
Sidelock

When you figure the mathimatical convergence it will work out more than the actual convergence because the firing the right barrel will move the barrels slightly to the right and the left slightly to the left negating the mechanical convergance putting one pattern right on top of the other if the shotgun was build around an average load. Unless the barrels were very crudely built I suspect that patterns will be nearly on top of each other at least to the effective range of the load.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.
Vol423 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks for the input. I was expecting to see information about how the two barrels centered their patterns relative to each other at various ranges. I keep missing with my tight barrel and I'm wondering if the barrels do not shoot close enough together. I shoot left handed. I shoot the left barrel first and it shoots where I look. The right barrel's pattern is centered 8 inches to the right of the left barrel's pattern center at 20 yards. I haven't tested other distances in detail yet but the left barrel appears to be spot on at 40 also. I used full chokes for both barrels.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Vol, didn't you mean to say that you keep missing with the right barrel?

If the right barrel's pattern is centered to the right, it may be that it will be regulated for a longer distance than 20 yards. It just may not have "gotten to the centerline" yet. Back up to 30, and 40 and see. Sometimes this is the case. With full choked barrels, it would be more useful for them to be regulated out closer to 40 than at 20, anyway.

I've got a double that I have got to move the center of the pattern over 8 inches as well. But, it's left barrel shoots 8 inches right of POA at 25 yards. IOW, it's already crossed the "centerline", and only gets worse at longer distances. I still kill a lot of doves with it, but know it is causing me some misses, and lots of non-centered hits.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

You guys are quite entertaining. If the two barrels are one inch apart at the muzzle, they should be one inch apart to infinity with no need to worry about convergence because no one can tell the difference between a pattern that is 1/2" to the left from the left barrel and 1/2" to the right for the right barrel. Why should they converge? The shot comes straight out of the muzzle and goes straight to infinity except for the drop caused by gravity.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I simply fail to Understand how anyone who has obviously looked at a lot of double barreled shotguns can make such a statement as this. I may be a bit slow at times but I'm not Blind. It is patently obvious the two barrels of a double "CONVERGE" toward the muzzle, they are "NOT" set parallel. The convergence is not for what line the shot travels After it leaves the muzzle, but Just Exactly where the muzzle is pointing at the time of exit. After it leaves the muzzle it travel is only affected by Gravity or Wind Drift. Be it Shot or Ball however not projectile fired from a gun having any perceptible amount of recoil leaves a shoulder fired gun from a static position. It matters not whether you are swinging the gun or taking a Dead Aim from one held stationary. The gun "WILL" Move from the time the trigger is pulled prior to the exit of the projectile/s. That is Why the barrels of a Double Converge. If they did not, the Right bbl would shoot to the right & the left one would shoot to the left & it'd be a lot more than the distance between them. Even my old Cap Lock ML'er with both cylinder bored bbls have converging barrels to better center the patterns.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
Sidelock

Bill, I think maybe you're forgetting that, using your example of 1" at the muzzles, if they are 1" apart at the muzzle (center to center) they will be somewhere around 1.340" apart (center to center) at the breech, for a 12 ga. that is. This .340" difference from breech to muzzle would be the amount of convergence.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: eightbore
You guys are quite entertaining. If the two barrels are one inch apart at the muzzle, they should be one inch apart to infinity with no need to worry about convergence because no one can tell the difference between a pattern that is 1/2" to the left from the left barrel and 1/2" to the right for the right barrel. Why should they converge? The shot comes straight out of the muzzle and goes straight to infinity except for the drop caused by gravity.

Show us a picture of your double that has a 1" space between the barrels at the muzzle.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Ted, try measuring a 12ga, center of one bore at the muzzle to center of the other bore. I think you'll find pretty close to 1" separation.

Vol423 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

"Vol, didn't you mean to say that you keep missing with the right barrel? "

The right barrel is the tight barrel, or at least that's the way I have it set up. It has screw chokes. I sent the gun back to the manufacturer for correction. The problem was the choke tube threads in the right barrel. According to them, the barrels now shoot together at 25 yards. Their standard, by the way is for the barrels to shoot together at 25 yards. I'm not going to mention the make because that would turn this discussion into a tirade for and against that brand name.

The only other time I've seen this much separation was an AYA No 4 Deluxe I had that was a true left hand gun. I couldn't hit targets with the right barrel on that gun either.

I'm going to do some additional testing at 25 yards when the gun returns. 25 yards is far enough away to show a trend without having to resort to multiple shots at the same aiming point to reveal the pattern center. Right now I have a good inventory of English and European doubles for testing also.

Last edited by Vol423; 05/06/13 08:36 AM.
Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.