Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10
Sidelock
Sidelock

The barrels on a Darne slug gun are regulated to 55 yards. I found it interesting that the customer who ordered the single one I sold was asked to specify what chokes he wanted (Darne slug guns are considerd true dual purpose guns) and after the chokes were cut, the gun was regulated.
The gun was equipped with a folding leaf rear sight, and a partridge bead on a ramp in the front. When fired with Federal slugs (it had been regulated with Federal slugs, in France, if I recall correctly) the black center of the target had two holes that looked like a pair of eyes looking back at you. It handled fine birdshot very well out to about 35-40 yards.
Yes, the barrels had to converge to do that at 55yards. At longer ranges, the slugs would have eventually crossed paths
Wes Gilpin owned a similar Darne slug gun that was a much higher grade. He used his for sea ducks, and had a detachable claw mount scope mount made up here it the states to mount a 4X scope. He used the gun setup in this fashion to take deer and pigs. After Wes died, his gun came to live in Minnesota, and the owner made contact with me, but we haven't had a chance to get together with the gun.
I assumed that regulating a slug gun would be about like regulating a double rifle, but, the maker told me it was pretty easy in comparison. I took him at his word on it.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Amarillo Mike and I are the only posters on this thread that seem to realize that a pattern .9" to the left or right of center to infinity is as good or better than a pair of patterns that converge at only one range and then divert in opposite directions. My vote is that the "infinity" pattern is better.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Reality often gets in the way of theory, even good theory...

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Most of differences expressed here are semantic. You don't get common points of impact with a side by side shot with typical gun mount -- out to infinity or otherwise -- without barrel convergence.

"Theoretically" ... if the load is perfect for the gun's barrel convergence, the barrels are perfectly parallel to the "line of aim" when the shot leaves the muzzle, and the pattern centers are delivered to virtually the same point at all distances, without crossing. Patterns shot with a lighter load cross at some distance; with a heavier load, the pattern centers never coincide, and divergence increases with distance.

As noted before, lots of factors can muddy actual results. The above assumes consistent velocity. It also seems to me that even cast could affect how much each barrel of a side by side moves before the shot exits the muzzles.

Jay

Last edited by Gunflint Charlie; 05/09/13 12:58 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: eightbore
....the only posters on this thread that seem to realize that a pattern .9" to the left or right of center to infinity is as good or better than a pair of patterns that converge at only one range and then divert in opposite directions. My vote is that the "infinity" pattern is better.

I wonder how the center line of the bores of a side by side shotgun be set to ensure that the patterns of both barrels fly parallel to each other.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Quite simple to make from new , but would look ugly and rather like a big bore double rifle .You will also need extra wide ribs that will add to the weight . I feel a point some seem to have missed is that with a shot gun you shoot a spread of shot where you hope your bird is, you are not aiming at a sitting target so it is a matter of learning where you gun shoots and giving lead accordingly .

Sidelock
Sidelock

A quick calculation suggests that the muzzles are about 1 1/2" apart, or 3/4" to each side from the aiming line when the shot leaves the muzzle

Sidelock
Sidelock

Chuck for centerlines you get 1/2 of each muzzle diameter plus both of the wall thicknesses of the barrels at the muzzle.

So (1/2 x .729) + (1/2 x .729) + (2 x .040) = .809"

Your calculation was too quick grin

Last edited by AmarilloMike; 05/09/13 04:56 PM.

I am glad to be here.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Mike,
I think you've been inhalin' too much Britanny poo air. I did say "...when the shot leaves the muzzle". In order for an .011" convergence barrel set to get a barrel pointed at the target, it has to move laterally. That movement only has to be about 3/10ths of an inch if it pivots from the butt of a 50" long gun. 3/10ths plus half your .8-- is about 3/4" or thereabouts, apart from the centerline (aiming line), or 1 1/2" apart from the other barrel when that barrel is fired and the shot leaves its muzzle.

Last edited by Chuck H; 05/09/13 05:56 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Mike is right, Chuck is covering for his bad arithmetic. The truth is that double shotgun barrels are not straight, they are somewhat bent when being soldered into place. Parallel patterns are created by bent barrels. The Brits figured that out decades or centuries ago. Do you fellows really think that tubes that are a defined distance apart at the breech and touch at the muzzles all shoot exactly converging patterns without bending? They are bent.

Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.