May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
3 members (Skeeterbd, 67galaxie, obsessed-with-doubles), 338 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,516
Posts545,686
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
Sidelock

CraigF,

Thank You.

Yep, two different customers both left handed. The gentleman that I built the single shot for passed away from cancer in March, it was for sale last I heard.

1. The balls measure 1.326" diameter and across the breechface the action measures just a little under 4".
2. I never thought to weigh just the action so I can't say for sure but better than 5 pounds for sure. It started out as a block of 8620 3" x 4" x 12" then I machined away everything that didn't look like a gun. I could do the math and figure out what it weighed if you really wanted to know.

Colin

The bill of right - void were prohibited by law!
Sidelock
Sidelock

Colin;
One question from me, what is your bore diameter on these 2-bores. I don't recall if it was the single or not but do recall seeing about a modern made 2-bore & as I recall the bore diameter was more like that of true 4. Per the proof house charts a 2 would masure 1.325" with 4 being 1.052". I know that at least some of the early 4's built for paper shells were proofed as 6's. Since you said the "Ball" you were using for this gun weighed 3,600 grains I assume you are not using a spherical ball as such. Certainly way out of this ol pore'boys price range but interesting reading never-the-less. As a retired machinist model-maker I can certainly appreciate what all you had to do to build an item like this on a non-production basis.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
Sidelock

The rifle you are referring to with the 4 Bore "bore" was made by Giles Whittome and it shoots conicals that weigh up to 3600grs.

The 2 Bores I build are a true 1.325" groove diameter and shoot a 3500gr Cast Lead Round Ball or a Turned Brass 3500gr Conical.

The reason the double is priced so high is because I really am not interested in building another one, they are very time consuming and difficult to build and the regulation process is brutal and takes weeks to do. That price keeps me from having to deal with a bunch of emails and phone calls and hopefully deters anyone who isn't really serious about wanting one.

Colin

Last edited by CowboyCS; 05/16/13 06:31 AM.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Colin;
The 3600 grain balls came from the link in the very first post which included this;
Quote:
This 2 bore double rifle regulation is for 500 grains of black powder and a 3600 grain round ball. A 3 inch group is considered a well regulated double rifle.

Watch Colin Stolzer explain and regulate his custom 2 Bore Jones Underlever Double Rifle.

I assumed this to be your rifle but by the time I posted had forgotten it specifically said Round ball. I believe the one I had seen about which was not a true 2-Bore diameter did use a conical "Ball".
As I said I fully appreciate what is involved in making such as this on a one-off basis & understand the Costs to do so.

Miller/TN
Sidelock
Sidelock

It might be a typo...I'm not affiliated with the US Shooter website. It's nice of other websites to re-post my builds, I appreciate the free advertising but much like this thread I don't have any control over what others are posting.

Some times if things are grossly misrepresented I will contact the webmaster and let them know...being a small one man business I also happen to be the IT department for my company and there aren't enough hours in the day to spend tracking down every place my stuff gets posted.

What kind of machining/modeling did you do before you retired?

Colin

Sidelock
Sidelock

Colin;
I made wind tunnel models for the Aero-Space industry. I had 35+ years in the machinist trade with 23+ of them spent as a modelmaker. I saw a lot of changes take place in those years as we went from various manual methods, to NC & then CNC controlled Mills & Lathes.

Miller/TN
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.