Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
Sidelock

I always understood that overboring was the term for "overbored" guns from the factory such as the Miroku Brownings. Backbored was taking a standard bore & honing it out to a larger bore as an aftermarket modification.

Sidelock
Sidelock

If you pick up a gun which has been chamber sleeved from 16-bore to 20-bore or from 20-boe to 28-bore you get to see what very wide bores do. They perform very well!

I have also had 12-bore guns originally 'chamberless' and with bores of .775! They work very nicely.

Sidelock
Sidelock

If a 12 bore gun is nominally .729 what does the proof house mark on the barrels for guns manufactured with overbore/back bored larger than the proof tolerances.

Bob

Sidelock
Sidelock

I may well be wrong here but did not know there was a "Proof Tolerance" Per Se. I was of the opinion the proof house simply measured the bore, stamped its gauge according to that size & proofed it by the charges for "That" gauge. The chamber marking then tells you what shells to put in it.
If you look at the proof charts a grouping of in-between gauges both larger & smaller will normally have identical proof charges.
.729"-.739" will be stamped 12; .740"-.750" 12/1; .751"-.762" 11; .763"-.774" 11/1 & finally .775 as 10.
Th actual proof charge will change a bit at the larger end, but any of these size bores "Could" carry a 12ga chamber.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
Sidelock

Did you ever wonder if some of these over bored Lefever 12's were stock barrels that could have been intended to be used for a regular 10 or a light 10? Mine 12 is .750 bore while a 10 would have been .775. Did they take a set of tubes that could have been intended for a 10 bore and just finished bore it at a 12 bore, .750 and then strike the outside extra? Or were these tubes extra heavy for just such a .750 bored 12 waterfowl.

The reason I doubt that is that Lefever we have been lead to believe was always be short on cash and could not have kept that much slow moving stock on hand. How much demand was there for a special heavy larger than normal bore 12? If they only kept written records, which I have come to doubt ever existed, so many questions could be answered.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Jon;
My take is these overbore Lefevers were made that way for their gauge. In their early days I highly suspect that waterfowl guns accounted for a large portion of their sales. Early catalogs recommended using wads two sizes larger than standard for Black Powder use, but only one size for smokeless. My personal belief is that many waterfowlers shot brass cases & these two sizes larger wads was to accommodate the brass cases. Smokeless was more often loaded into paper cases thus the smaller wad. I think that a lot of the early guns were simply bored for use with the brass cases & oversized wads. Another thing I suspect but can't prove is that when they specified a wad they were speaking of its actual dia. Thus one over for 12 would be an 11ga or .751". In later years wads would be labeled for their intended use & a card or filler wad labled as 12 would actually measure to about an 11 & an 11 ga wad labled as for use in 12ga brass shells woud measure more like an 11/1 size. This would fit right in with Lefever's recommendations.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
Sidelock

2-piper
Sorry my use of the word tolerance was wrong. I was refering to the .729 to .739 and possibly should have said "range". Your explanation of the 12/1 etc. markings was just what I needed.
Thank you

Bob

Sidelock
Sidelock

I suspect that you are right about the brass vs paper aspect of those days. I am sure brass shells held court for many years after paper came into use in wet environments. Still I wish I could come across a 7.5 pound .750 bore gun instead of almost nine pounders. Toting one of the nine pounders is not that much fun. Might as well tote a true 10 bore.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Backworth Bob,
Other than the proof marks applicable to the allowable proof diameter range [measured 9 inches from the breech face],chamber length and if appropriate the word," choke," U.K. proof houses add no other marks concerning the barrel dimensions. It is the gun makers responsibility to ensure that the barrel wall thickness is sufficient to accommodate resultant proof stress and if applicable any recessed chokes[back bored].
A word of caution is perhaps in order. Back boring English guns greater than the maximum diameter allowed under the rules of proof renders them, "out of proof" and subject to reproof in the interest of user safety. Under .U.K. law sale of guns out of proof is a serious offense.

Roy Hebbes
Sidelock
Sidelock

I hate to beat a dead horse, but British Proof only pertains to the inside of a shotgun barrel. The things British gunsmiths do to the outside of a shotgun barrel makes a British Proof mark absolutely useless unless we know nothing was done to the outside after proving. Most guns in British auctions that warn "wall thickness below recommended minimums" have perfectly legitimate proof marks, but have been struck to thinner wall thickness.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.