April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
3 members (Longknife, ClapperZapper, CJ Dawe), 1,303 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,469
Posts545,144
Members14,409
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Sidelock
Sidelock

Barella

Britte finished by SDH-MT

Christophe

I realize that these may have Belgian origins.

I'd guess the following Mainwarings to have similar component configurations:

Curious why some are blue and some are not; maybe to differentiate between pen and peg?

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

In Rainey's pictures you can see that the locks are basically all the same and probably copied after Holland and Holland. You can also see that there are 5 screw posts (blued) and 3 polished screw posts acting as axels, that is counting the one on the long leg of the lock that holds the mainspring in place. Someone years ago came up with the bright idea of using the tumbler axel as a cocking indicator by putting a slot in it.

Before the turn of the last century, many of the lock plates were machined out to hold the mainspring in.

Some of the best locks are engine turned supposedly to hold a light film of oil.

David

Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks JDW. I meant to start with the Purdey backaction and move to psuedo H&H bar action. I can extract some of the images of the following Purdey lockwork and post if anyone desires:

http://doublegunshop.com/james_flynn_gun_cleaning_071704.htm

http://www.hallowellco.com/sidelock%20definition.htm

I don't concur with the stigma that a sidelock is superior to a A&D action body. Both have their merits.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Guys, this was all very helpful and I appreciate the effort!!!! I think Rocketman had it correct in that it depends on whether you count the striker pivot/axle and mainspring pin as a PIN or NOT. The Englishman counted both as pins and that is why he called it a 9 pin but most people would call it a 7 pin and not count these two attachment points.

I hope this discussion also helps some others on the site that might be equally challenged by the terminology of sidelock actions.

Just curious, my Verney-Carron sidelock ejector (as shown on the VC discussion forum) is a back action. How do I determine which is the mainspring pin?

Paul

Sidelock
Sidelock

Paul's V-C back-action - If I read it correctly, the mainspring should be just above the connecting screw

H&H back action as found on Hallowellco

Purdey back action as found on DGS

Purdey - Beesley as found on Hallowellco

Gastinne Renette back action as found on Hallowellco

Seems it all depends if you fancy a back action sidelock or a bar action sidelock and how you define the pins, pegs & axels

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

The pin configuration on this W&S looks interesting and I think it to be a back action:

http://www.dismalriverarmory.com/webleyscottsidelocksold.html

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

So this is the W&R(Webley & John Rogers) back action platform?

http://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbt...true#Post317727

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Raimey, as usual, I think you have nailed my question concerning my particular 7 pin back action sidelock. I know that it all depends on what type of action but knowing where the mainspring screw is very helpful on a back action. Bar actions are a bit easier.

Once again, I want to extend my thanks to "all that have contributed" to this thread and have further my on going education regarding sidelocks. There is so much to learn and so little time to learn it all. Guess that is why I like this forum so much---very helpful replies and knowledgeable people always willing to share!!!!

paul

Sidelock
Sidelock

I think a lot of us have learned a great deal, good thread Paul.

It was also interesting to see all of those differing actions. Ill never get tired of looking at and studying, sidelocks.

Sidelock
Sidelock

There is a fantastic 396-page book named "Platines" by Laurent Bedu, that describes the most common sidelock systems: Beesley, Holland, "Scott", etc... and also includes the Italian ones Betretta, Zanotti, ... and the obscure ones such as Defourny and Francotte FASD.
The book is in French but I know that the author is working on an English translation.
Highly recommended.
WC-

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.