April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (Lloyd3, HMAK, dogon, Jeremy Pearce, SKB, 1 invisible), 262 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,459
Posts544,996
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#329761 07/04/13 01:50 AM
Barret Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Hi everyone
Are there any experts here that know anything about Belgium leige shotguns?

Barret #329763 07/04/13 03:51 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Liege is a city in Belgium. During the "golden years" circa 1880-1930" there were hundreds of makers located in Liege. These included small 1 man shops to the massive factories of FN, MAL, etc. The Belgians outpaced most competitors over time.

In 1906, Liege produced 850 tons of Damascus barrels (100 tons for export), 156,000 SxS shotguns. 1.5 million guns were proofed at the Banc d’Epreuves de Liege.

They produced "best guns" to low end guns to meet a mass marketer's (Sears, Wards, etc) price point.

Do you have a general question? We do have members in Belgium. Or a question about a particular gun?

Pete

Barret #329764 07/04/13 06:22 AM
Barret Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Thanks for your prompt response Pete,
Im only new to the shotgunning scene and I live in Australia so we dont really have much of an oppurtunity to get into it on a regular basis due to our stringent gun laws but my fathers passion has rubbed off on me, much to his delight.
My father had a modest little collection with a handful of quite nice mainlyEnglish peices which unfortunately some unscrupoulious characters stole out of his home a few years back, and needless to say it almost broke my fathers heart as he had spent most of his life putting this collection together,which was no mean feat on an average mans wages, as I'm sure you could appreciate.
One of the shotguns in his collection was a Belgium Leige 16 Gauge with the serial number of 873 it was a Double Barrel Hammer Gun and I'm looking to replace as much of this collection as I possibly can but I'm having trouble locating any information about these old shotguns let alone finding anything close to it.
So any help anyone can give me on this matter would be greatly appreciated!
With Thanks in Advance. ROD.

Barret #329767 07/04/13 07:30 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Pete;

Very kind and considerate of you to explain the Liege craft in to a new person of kindred mind. It makes an old man feel good.

Bv

Barret #329796 07/04/13 12:24 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Barret
Thanks for your prompt response Pete,
Im only new to the shotgunning scene and I live in Australia so we dont really have much of an oppurtunity to get into it on a regular basis due to our stringent gun laws but my fathers passion has rubbed off on me, much to his delight.
My father had a modest little collection with a handful of quite nice mainly English peices which unfortunately some unscrupoulious characters stole out of his home a few years back, and needless to say it almost broke my fathers heart as he had spent most of his life putting this collection together,which was no mean feat on an average mans wages, as I'm sure you could appreciate.

One of the shotguns in his collection was a Belgium Leige 16 Gauge with the serial number of 873 it was a Double Barrel Hammer Gun and I'm looking to replace as much of this collection as I possibly can but I'm having trouble locating any information about these old shotguns let alone finding anything close to it.
So any help anyone can give me on this matter would be greatly appreciated!
With Thanks in Advance. ROD.

Rod,

I understand. The best thing you can do is take many clear photos and post them here. Take the barrels off and take pictures of all the markings you can find.

If you need help posting photos, myself or others will be glad to help. There are others from down under here who be glad to help steer you in the right direction for finding gunsmiths and guns for sale in your country.

For the great majority of Belgian guns, the serial number is of little help. The main exception would be the Brownings made by FN.

Here are the Belgian proof marks:
http://damascus-barrels.com/Belgian_All_Proofmarks.html

And just some of the Trade Marks:
http://damascus-barrels.com/Belgian_Trade_Marks.html

The trade mark list is at about 1,000, but still a long way from definitive... Some day, when I have the time. smile

Pete

Barret #329797 07/04/13 12:25 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Hard to take good pix of a stolen shotgun; why don't we post some pictures of Belgian hammerguns for Barret or his dad to review in hopes of finding a mate to what they lost...Geo

bushveld #329799 07/04/13 12:29 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: bushveld
Pete;
Very kind and considerate of you to explain the Liege craft in to a new person of kindred mind. It makes an old man feel good.

Bv

We all have to start some where. When I first asked about Belgian guns here the answer was JABC. (Just Another Belgian Clunker) Fortunately that response is less common today.

Through a lot of research by several folks here (Drew, Raimey, Marc, Larry, Daryl, et al) our understanding has grown. Perhaps in a few years, Rod will be teaching us!

Pete

Barret #329829 07/04/13 09:54 PM
Barret Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Thanks everyone for taking the time to respond to my post.
I didnt realise that a serial number alone wasn't enough information to identify this gun, but thats why I'm talking to you more experienced people.
And yes Geo it is a bit difficult to take good photos of a shotgun we don't have anymore.
I was basically looking to see if anyone could identify the make, model and possibly date the firearm that my father had, so as to arm me with as much information as possible to make it easier to track down a brother or something as close as possible to what he had, and well I'm keen to learn as much as possible about this "Golden Era".
I suppose the only other thing I can do is talk to my old man and get more detailed description of the gun and repost it and see what we come up with.

Barret #329830 07/04/13 10:07 PM
Barret Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Pete I would love to think that in the future I had enough knowledge to tell any of you more experienced gentlemen even one little fact that you didn't know but that would be a long way off!LOL
And that sounds like a good idea and I think that would be of great help thanks for such a logical suggestion Geo.
Even if someone could direct me to some form of research tools/sites /books or whatever that would be of great assistance. I don't expect anyone to do all the hard work for me just a little help even in where to start looking would be awesome.
Thanks again guys
Rod

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.