April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (smlekid), 1,150 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,445
Posts544,841
Members14,406
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Sidelock
Sidelock

The rifle is a Stevens model 52, built on a 44 1/2 action, made between 1904 and 1917. Niedner only made the barrel.
Is it in .22 lr?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Nice, rifle is a Stevens Ideal #52, what caliber?

I learn something every day, and a lot of times it's that what I learned the day before was wrong

Sidelock
Sidelock

Don't the 44 1/2s made in 22RF have an extra screw forward of the lever screw for the ejector? Niedner also made a lot of 22 CF wildcats on 44 1/2 actions. But, as it is a target rifle we had best wait for an answer that may only come from a chamber cast.

Last edited by HalfaDouble; 03/07/20 07:36 PM.
Boxlock
Boxlock

Thank you very much. Now I should be able to better research this fine gun for more information. I do not know the caliber, but appears to be 32-40.

Boxlock
Boxlock

Thanks Gentlemen for helping me be able to do better research, and learn much more about this rifle. It is, as you said, a Stevens Model 52. I am able now to find several of these online, with one exception....All of the ones I could find had Stevens barrels. I could not seen one online with a Niedner barrel. Being a Stevens was appropriate because my Grandfather was an expert marksman, very well known, and owned an indoor range in town. And-He was a serious collector of guns, old collector US coins, and clocks. He had hundreds of guns. One part of his collection was the only known complete collection of Stevens rifles. With the internet there might be other of those collections of Stevens now. He died in 1980, before the internet, but at that time his was the only complete set of Stephens. I have some memorys of going shooting with him, and him using this gun. So because of history I am so grateful to you guys for helping me finally learn much about this gun. One question though.....does the value of the gun go up or down with the Niedner barrel instead of the stock Stevens barrel? As can be seen in the pictures it is not a bright, shiny, gun in perfect condition, so I am wondering about if the value goes up or down if I have it shined up, or leave it as is? I know with coins that collectors want the coins to Not be cleaned. Cleaning a coin ruins the value, so is it the same with antique guns? I dont want to do the wrong thing with this gun. His gun. So anything I can learn, I am open minded and curious. Again, thank you all very much helping me, getting me pointed in the right direction finally be able to learn.

Sidelock
Sidelock

It goes up. Anything Niedner is a plus, but I would leave it as is. Cleaning is okay, but not "shining up" if that includes anything more than removal of dirt and grime. Other opinions may differ, but probably not much.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Boxlock
Boxlock

Based on past information posted. Niedner Rifle Corp employees stamped their initials on the bottom of the barrel they made. Does anyone know who the initials MCM might belong to?

Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.