April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
2 members (WJW, LeFusil), 378 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,443
Posts544,800
Members14,405
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Thank you for the info, I appreciate it. Being new to all this I have a stupid questions, what do you mean by bbls?

I know my dad was received a bunch of older guns from the widow of a friend and I think that is where this came from. I'm pretty sure it wasn't something he purchased as he was more into revolvers. I'll definitely look into a a knowledgeable gunsmith to look at it. As it sits, not working, any idea as to the value? I have quite a few of the guns I know were special to him and those I will be keeping for sure. I really have no idea as to the value and am thinking of selling it. Thanks again!

Last edited by damngato; 07/15/13 01:29 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

bbls - tubes - pattern welded or fluid steel? Lower rib is pattern welded. 1892 or 1893 should have seen the end of the A&D APUN numbers.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Hmmm, I'll try to get a few better pictures since I'm really not sure. Thanks guys

Sidelock
Sidelock

I believe that this was marketed as the VL&D "Knockaround" or "Knockabout" gun, I can't remember which term they used. They went to Francotte boxlock in the early part of the last century, as it was the replacement for the Sauer model 1900 (sidelock) which they had marketed under that name up until that time...

I prefer wood to plastic, leather to nylon, waxed cotton to Gore-Tex, and split bamboo to graphite.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Right, "Knockabout". VL&D's successor, Abercrombie & Fitch, continued to use that term--both for entry level Francottes, and later on (starting in the 60's, I think), for Zoli-Rizzini doubles.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The "Not For Ball" (note its Americanized,)The ELG in oval without crown & the A&D patent all indicate a build prior to 1900 or earlier than the Sauer series of KnockAbouts, not later.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
Sidelock

Has the hinge pin actually been lost or is it still in place? Hopefully, the other parts once retained by the missing pins have not been lost. You should send it to a talented gunsmith who won't attempt to make a million dollar project out of it. My choice for someone who will not nickel and dime you to death, and will tell the truth about what actually needs to be done is Keith Kearcher in Bend, Oregon. Not only can he make new pins and clean and reassemble the gun if the parts are there, he is a barrel expert who can evaluate your gun for safe shooting.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: 2-piper
The "Not For Ball" (note its Americanized,)The ELG in oval without crown & the A&D patent all indicate a build prior to 1900 or earlier than the Sauer series of KnockAbouts, not later.

Good catch. "Knockabout" was pretty much a generic name with both VL&D and A&F, applied to guns from different makers. Think "Field Grade" . . . but "Knockabout" sounds fancier.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Larry;
Do you know if perhaps VL&D sold guns under the KnockAbout name from both Francotte & Sauer at the same time. I was thinking they would not have used the same name simultaneously for two different guns, but then? Perhaps they did sell a sidelock & a boxlock both under the name Knockabout at the same time. I feel certain the gun in quesation does date beck into the 1800's but did they continue the basic gun to a later date.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
Sidelock

as I recall, I have seen both. german prior to ww1 and Belgian afer ww1...

keep it simple and keep it safe...
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.