March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
8 members (Lloyd3, SKB, Argo44, FlyChamps, 2 invisible), 361 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,003
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I'm looking at a pre-WWI (serial number in the 13,xxx range) Joseph Lang, which has a replacement set of barrels manufactured between 1925 and 1954 according to the proof marks. No indication who did the barrels, but they have Birmingham proofs. The Joseph Lang name remains on the rib. Bores measure 0.729" and the minimum wall thicknesses are in the 0.030s. Balance point on the gun is reported as being approximately 3/8" forward of the hinge pin.

I'd have the gun inspected by a qualified gunsmith (probably Abe Chaber, if he's available), but I was wondering how the replacement barrels might impact the value of the gun. Is this something to steer clear of or is a new set of barrels on a gun that old an asset.

Thanks for your insight.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Not necessarily to steer clear of. Likely means the old ones were no longer serviceable. And given the date range of the replacement barrels, sleeving wasn't yet a common practice.

Less valuable than if the gun had the original barrels in good condition; more valuable than if it had sleeved barrels. If you're looking for a shooter rather than a collectible gun in original condition, and if it handles well with the replacement barrels, it's a good way of saving some $.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I would rather have the barrels replaced by the maker. But they might have been out sourced to the same man for the job. The obsession for original parts and original condition is just silly sometimes. Ask a Brit about what value reduction such a gun might be subject to over there. For me I would rather have replaced barrels than sleeved one and sleeved one rather than worn out ones.

When you have it evaluated ask if the barrels are well done and do they fit and balance well with the gun. If so do not worry about it. What are you looking for a 10 percent rule? I do not think a hard and fast rule exist. Unless is is a very high grade gun I would be tolerant of replacement barrels if they pass muster. Buy the gun not the name and the function should be good for the long haul with new barrels.

Sidelock
Sidelock

There are too many guns available to waste money on one that's of questionable value

Sidelock
Sidelock

Justin why shy away from this gun. Solid barrels are perfect for a gun meant to be shot not gathering dust in a safe. I agree if yo are strictly interested in a gun as a closet queen original is paramount.

As described this gun is in proof with barrels that are just about original for thickness either factory or replaced. .030 is what most would love to have for wall thickness. Most per WWI Langs I see have barrels if original that are much to close to .020 than .035. Evaluate the gun and go from there.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I would say that it all depends on the price & condition of the gun.Without pictures & a rough idea of the price of this Lang, its impossible to say yea or nay.Some might like newer , well made bbls.
Prolly better than thin pitted originals...hard to say without good pictures, wouldn't you say?
cheers
franc

Sidelock
Sidelock

Franc,you are absolutely correct.
To answer Jon,though,a gun with replacement barrels that were not supplied by the gunmaker should not bear the legend of the gunmaker on the rib. This is fraud.

Sidelock
Sidelock

40X seems to know the new bbls were not made by Lang, PLUS he says the name "Remains" on the rib, Not that it was placed on the rib. Seems most likely the maker disassembled the old set & reused the original rib & likely other parts as well. I do not personally see this as intent to Defraud anyone.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
Sidelock

The cost of a new rib is minimal in the making of a new set of barrels. It is irresponsible for the old rib to be used. I see it as chicanery you call it cost efficiency whatever
The fact is this guy is just as stuck as the other guy buying the Woodward

Sidelock
Sidelock

Lang is a BV2 maker's name. The gun is most likely a "best work," "A" grade, or "B" grade Original Quality. The Current Condition should be around CC6 = Shootable but needs some repairs and refinishing or refinished with barrels or stock replaced.

BV2-OQ1-CC6 = $6,655, BV2-OQ2-CC6 = $4,652, and BV2-OQ3-CC6 = $3,480. Good photos will help narrow down what this one really is. BTW, BV2-OQ1-CC1 (pristine) = $30,000 and BV2-OQ3-CC9 (wall hanger level) = $718.

Hope this helps a bit.

DDA

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.