March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (Dave K, buckstix, Der Ami, KDGJ, Karl Graebner, 1 invisible), 361 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,008
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

40x....I think there is good advise here as I am getting on the Woodward thread...I do not feel " stuck" , as a more careful reading states , I have a 3 day review period.....it is common knowledge that ribs are replaced and is therefore not fraud. Kirk Merrington replaced the old ribs on my Westley Ruchards.....all you do is look under the barrels...also, my Grant has replaced barrels By Boss and says so on the ribs...different approaches to the same thing...the maker will usually put a different serial number on the bottom of replaced barrels. Now that Purdey is starting to remake Woodwards....I can now get a great gun for less than $100,000..less than $10,000.. And if it fits me that is a plus naturally. If you are going to shoot it then have the gunsmith look it over...or pay another $20,000 grand give or take for the original barrels...go out and then dent the barrel by mistake...then find out the original barrels are too thin to get banged out....then spend more to get the new barrels or have it sleeved....right?

Last edited by Condor; 07/16/13 09:23 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I do not agree with you about common knowledge,in this instance. Your Grant was done correctly by stating it was replacement barrels and this Woodward should have done the same or left the rib blank.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I do not want to hijack 40X' s thread here...so I read your opinion and that's fine....all I am saying to him, as is my situation is ...is the gun a fair price?...if he is going to shoot it and is not a collector then a replaced barrel is good in a way, as other opinions have stated. The cost of an original gun, is, as one can see from the opinions , and in the market place ,high for bespoked guns....if I spent the money on an all original Lang....and as stated , if the barrels are sub .25... I might be sitting in my chair staring at a dent that happened only to discover that in addition to the money I paid for originality...I now have to fork out a lot of money to get it fixed...and more if it can not....wondering where did I go wrong when I thought this though. I hope 40x thinks it though and if a fair price, and he wants to own an great old gun , if it is...then contacts Atkins, Grant, and Lang for the History, and he is happy about it....that's great.....if the industry puts the name of the main gun back on the rib....from what I know is that it is not uncommon to do that and I have never heard anyone, even the group I belong to, the Vintagers, claiming fraud...and Fraud is a strong legal term and an action requiring intent.....I do not believe intent to defraud is the motive to place the old rib on the gun, including well know practice in the industry....when a good gunsmith can advise that it is replacement barrels....so , his question, as is mine...is it a fair price?

Last edited by Condor; 07/16/13 11:30 AM.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks to all of you for your suggestions and insight. I am looking to purchase the gun as a shooter and have arranged for Abe Chaber to inspect the gun. I've also sent an e-mail to Atkin, Grant & Lang to ask if their records reflect their having done the barrel work.

From the dealer's description and the photos, the gun appears to be in excellent condition. As an aside, I'll note that Rocketman's valuation calculation is within less than 4% of the negotiated price.

Rem

Sidelock
Sidelock

lets see some pics of this fine old gal smile
franc

Sidelock
Sidelock

Putting a makers name on a new non original set of barrel is not fraud unless it claims they have been made by the maker . If that maker has been out of business for 50 years then there is no way that they could be original .In the case of a company still in operation it is only fraud if the claim is that the barrels were made by the maker.I have seen many classic and vintage cars that have been totally rebuilt with non original or patten parts or that have new parts made . But it is still shown as a Bentley ,Morris or Ford .

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Franc:

When I get it.

Rem

Sidelock
Sidelock

Gunman,the name on the rib is the claim of who made it.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: justin
Gunman,the name on the rib is the claim of who made it.

I'm not sure it's quite that clear cut. I once owned a Parker PH 16ga. The gun had VH barrels, so obviously replacement--but serial numbered to the gun, so someone might not have caught the discrepancy. Similarly, in this case, the proofmarks make it clear that the barrels aren't original. But it's still a Woodward . . . albeit one with replaced barrels. Would it no longer be a Woodward if it had been restocked?

Last edited by L. Brown; 07/16/13 03:34 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

They don't put the names on the stock

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.