Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Condor Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I will ask that question of Hutton. I think it is a game gun and the replacement barrels remain at the usual 29 inches.I believe the stock to be original.

Last edited by Condor; 07/18/13 05:57 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Oooopa!!! Condor, you have one of a very few JW extra finish guns. I kept thinking there was something about that serial number ----. I don't have a valuation system for OQ Extra Finish; there are too few and they are generally too unique to find comparables in most cases. I know there is a 16 bore, (I think) a pair, and a trio of JW - EF. The JW - EF follows the embellishment pattern of your gun. You have one of, maybe, seven.

Here is hoping you enjoy it.

DDA

Sidelock
Sidelock

The gun is similar to one I restored in May.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=...e=1&theater

It came in from Africa in a bit of a state but finished off nicely. The engraving is very unusual for a Woodward, as Rocketman points out.

Condor Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks for that great information...I am happy with this gun. Dig, did you get a history on that restoration, are the barrels original? I notice it has side clips, mine does not. The screws are blued, but it looks like the same engraving. I am on my way to NH now. I will get barrel measurements and a once over. The chambers measure to 2 3/4 right flush to the end of the chamber...the recess for the casing is just short of 2 3/4. I wonder If Cabelas just took the info on the water table....Hutton will know...I would still shoot just 2 1/2 RST...but would like to know if it could take 1 or 3/4 once 2 3/4.... Just to know.

Last edited by Condor; 07/19/13 08:50 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

This discussion was very interesting to me, I'm not really a collector in the common use of the word but understand the nuances of collecting eg. originality etc.
If I had that kind of cash, which is never likely, I would look at the cost more in this way, how much would you need to spend just to get that engraving and stock in this day and age? Strictly a guess but upwards of $30,000 depending who did the work.
IMHO the barrels are free and you got a bargain. Very nice gun which one should be proud to own and shot.
Anyhow just an old mans take on guns in general, embellishment such as engraving and nice stock wood can be very costly. FWIW --- John

RCC Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I don't believe anyone buys a Woodward for 7k and expects it to be an investment piece. I think you bought just what you wanted, a shooter you will be proud to carry afield.

I think you did well. The fact that you came by an EF is a nice bonus. Congrats. I hope you fill many a game bag with her.

Like John, I found this thread to be of interest. Rocketman's contributions are especially educational.

It would be of interest also to know if Cabelas' "negotiated" the price with you. Not by how much, just if they did or not.

bc
RCC #331313 07/19/13 04:24 PM
Condor Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks all....here is the bottom line...I am keeping it...I just got back from Hutton and he gave it the oNce over....the gun or I should say the barrels were reproofed in 1970...the barrels measure to .30 and .29the bores are right on at .729..... He opened the lock and to me they were bueatiful..but he wanted to look at the wood inside and told me it was perfect, a little oil but confirmed the stock was original. He explained how the wood was carved for the locks...all at a minimal and efficient....the locks had the serial number and initial of an individual. Very tight...the wood appears well used but good and it has been around but the barrels are a great shooter. He will provide me more info and I will pattern it tomorrow. I agree with the posters ...nice shooting gun for me....and I could probably buy a nice Arrieta or AyA.....I will take this one...now all I have to do is sell a Greener F40 and my Delgreggo Parker VH....not to break even but apply it to the the Woodward...this has been a real education . Thanks for taking the time to comment...Regards.

Ps. As far as Cabelas was concerned I just asked if they could help me ...The gun was listed at $7,999).... .I had no smoking gun...and they did help out...also, forgot to say that he said he could open the chambers a bit to make it 2 3/4... But advised not to as that would take it out if Proof( officially)... I decided not to and leave it as a 2 1/2... As it was intended..

Last edited by Condor; 07/19/13 04:44 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Oh my, my..........Take your pick; "Done Deal", "Case Closed", "That's a Wrap".

I think this piece is going to be one helluva great companion for many years to come. Please don't think about its pedigree, fight the urge to keep it safely tucked away.

Use it. Use it a lot. In fact, don't buy any other guns, ever. Just use this Woodward, all the time. Blast through flat after flat of ammo in the off-season. Use it in the woods of New England for grouse, in future years bring it with you to other places, using the money you'll have saved from not buying any other guns.

Just you and that Woodward. Can you see it? You'll be a legend.

Condor Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

kid, I will use it....and a legend?...more like a legend in my own mind...haha!...you know I have done well I think with Cabelas when I got that Grant with Boss barrels...it included an oak and leather case that was never mentioned until I picked it up...the case was restored by a guy named Messina from upstate NY....that was a bonus. Then last year I got a Purdey single barrel trap gun from them...all original except for a modern recoil pad...both under the price I paid for the Woodward. I always watch Cabelas. Check out that Lang for $3,500... Looks like original barrels and side lock. Check the engraving....if it is tight with ample barrel thickness ..could be nice...and I bet someone would get it for 3 grand...

Last edited by Condor; 07/19/13 05:27 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Are Cabela's really open to haggling over the price of a gun?

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.