April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,035 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,467
Posts545,124
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

What do you recommend to use in my new ultrasonic cleaner for gun parts? It is the type that also heats, if wanted. I do not have access to air compressor to blow dry.

When an old man dies a library burns to the ground. (Old African proverb)
tw Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Joe,

Last time I used a friend's ultrasonic we used tap water w/a squirt of Dawn dishwashing liquid. It was very effective in removing the crud from a trigger mechanism & some other gunked up parts. After removing them, we washed them off in hot tap water which actually warmed them up enough to dry almost instantly. We were fairly quick to re-oil the pieces so no rust could occur. If you do not have compressed air, I suggest you could use an inexpensive hair drier to good effect ... or at the moment just set the parts outside in the ambient temps for about a minute [hahaha] after washing them off in hot water. Too, there are the aerosol cans of dry air sold for blowing off dust on computer parts and key boards.

Best, tw

Sidelock
Sidelock

After the hot water I would blast with WD40 as it displaces water.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Years ago, Ron Peterson wrote an article on how to use a ultrasonic. His direction was to use granulated Spic and Span. Then loosen anything that sticks after the ultrasonic with a toothbrush, rinse under hot water well, then blow off water with compressed air [clears out water from inside recesses, too. Then spray well with WD 40. Wipe off excess WD 40 before reassembling. You should have at least a small shop air compressor from Harbor Freight or similar.

Last edited by Daryl Hallquist; 07/31/13 09:50 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have read in the distant past that simple green works well as the cleanining agent.
There are clock work ultra sonic cleaners and lubricants that also should work very well.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Simple green will rust, pit and etch metal and do a great job at degreasing. :-(. I suggest not going the simple green route. The suggestion of using dawn dish soap is a good one, it'll cut grease and grime and leave the metal alone.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Regular ATF, cut with a touch of mineral spirits avoids any possibility of rust. If I need a bit of polish, I add some ceramic pointy things I got out of an industrial deburring unit that was going to the scrap heap years ago, but, I'm told steel shot works well, also.
I rinse in mineral spirits or kerosene, and let it dry on a rag.
Compressed air, along with a good vise, is the foundation of a workshop.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Okay, what is ATF?

When an old man dies a library burns to the ground. (Old African proverb)
Sidelock
Sidelock

Automatic Transmission Fluid, you get in in automotive.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have used Eezox in the past three years. In independent tests, nothing beats it and it does have a unique smell.
http://www.6mmbr.com/corrosiontest.html

The only time I use ATF is in the making of Ed's Red. It's a good primary bore cleaner. Equal parts of ATF, kero, min. spts and acetone.

Last edited by 2holer; 07/31/13 07:54 PM.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.