March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (SKB, Sandlapper, Jtplumb, Bob Jurewicz), 326 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,977
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#333298 08/02/13 12:56 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=...e=1&theater

A very odd month indeed! I hardly ever see good Grant SLEs with damascus barrels. This month I took in and sold three! All slightly different, all very lovely, I think.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Cyril must have flushed several out of his closet!!!!

W. E. Boyd
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Two of these came in through the door two weeks apart.

Sidelock
Sidelock

All lovely. I would have welcomed the chance to ponder purchasing one of them. I can certainly believe they went out the door as fast as they came in.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Beautiful guns, as most Grants are. The smooth top strap does make a difference.

I have come across side pedal doubles that had the pedal on the lft side, some on the right. Was the placement of the pedal made at the client's request? We are talking right handed guns with cast off. I have not handled enough of these to figure out the ergonomics of pedal use and which placement is easier to use, left or right.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

In my experience, the lever placement is random. The client, presumably, would discuss which he preferred and order accordingly on higher grade guns. I find a left hande side lever very easy to operate as a right hander - the lever is just above your right thumb when you fire the gun and movement to open it is minimal.

I find a good number of left handed shooters choose a side lever - as it is easier than a right handed top lever to use.

I don't tend to post guns I have for sale - I think it would be inappropriate to try and sell guns directly through this forum. Mostly, I show interesting things I have as do-ups for clients or which I have sold but have photos of.

I do try to keep my website up to date with stock and the vintage guns facebook page too - you can always check there.

On the subject of levers, I just had a Paper hammergun with left-hand top lever and a side-lever Dougall hammer gun in 20-bore with POW feathers on it. Not sure either will make it through lapping and re-prof. Damascus barrels are a little pitted (gun-dealer understatement). Still, uncovering interesting things is what makes this fun.

Last edited by Small Bore; 08/03/13 05:40 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

How common are ejector problems with those early hammerless ejector Grants?

Wild Skies
Since 1951
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Small Bore
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=...e=1&theater

A very odd month indeed! I hardly ever see good Grant SLEs with damascus barrels. This month I took in and sold three! All slightly different, all very lovely, I think.

What is the action on the first one? Pinless? Sideplate? My Grant (right side lever) is maybe my favorite gun.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Dig, just to clear the air on this, my comment was not intended as a suggestion for you to sell your company's guns on this site's sales forum. In fact, as you know that would be most inappropriate and I would never expect you to be one who would act in such a way and brazenly disrespect the protocol here.

My comment was more of a musing on my part, which happens all the time, except at this particular moment there was a keyboard under my fingers!

But one of these days, such a gun WILL be mine. The smoldering lust I've had for one will one day burst into flames of burning desire.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Sorry KK, i meant no criticism of you at all. Just explaining that I post for interest and spreading it.

Joe, the earlier Grant side-lever is a bar-action side-lock with an assisted opening mechanism. The other one is a 1923 damascus barrelled gun with Southgate ejectors. The top-lever gun also has southgate ejectors.

WS - Grant ejectors on pre 7000 series guns are often either the D-trip or coil spring ejectors. Both can be fiddly if they have been messed with. No more so than lots of other systems - the Deeley ejector plays up too if not looked after. They do tend to go wrong more than Southgate's though.

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.