April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
8 members (FallCreekFan, Argo44, lagopus, FlyChamps, earlyriser, geauga, 1 invisible), 1,133 guests, and 8 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,469
Posts545,146
Members14,409
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 12 of 32 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 31 32

Going by the book spar varnish never dries. After all it is made for outdoor applications on boats. Maybe reduce the spar varnish or substuitute something else.

Sidelock
Sidelock

This thread as come a long way from the original red oil enquiry.
To keep it on track we really do have to differentiate between oil finishes and lacquer and polyurethane.Spar varnish does dry but is formulated to be flexible to cope with the rigours of a seafaring way of life.The usage your gun is going to be used for can determine the final finish.Is it going to be used for wildfowling, sporting clays or for display in the gun cabinet?

OP Offline

Indeed. And I think it is fair to say most people have a number of guns so all of us have more than one stock finish direction. Yet the range of things i learn on this thread can be applied to each of my gun finish options.

Personally, most of my guns are field guns and I have no cabinet queens. But I have beaters and I have NICE field guns.

I want finishes that are durable and can be repaired easily. That said, and since I started this alkanet thingy, I do have preferance for red stocks, deep rich red stocks. The older doubles, like merkels, always catch my eye from across the room or at 20 paces in the field and then up close I just like their look and feel even more.

I've been trying to duplicate that "look" with alkanet or at least come up with stock finishes and methods that gets what I call---"a rich oil look with a deep and protective shine"... and yes RED RED is good.

http://www.icm.cc
transforming ideas into reality
Sidelock
Sidelock

Yogi,'That look' normally comes from an expensive piece of English,French,Claro Walnut sanded and boned to perfection by a Master craftsman and then treated to numerous = many coats of well rubbed in linseed oil over many weeks / months whilst the rest of the gun is being made / tested / blued /finished.
Remember America gave us fast food and Tru-oil.
Great Britain gave you Great Guns, Tradition, and hopefully patience.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Don't forget jeeps and freighters launched in 30 days. Fast is right.

OP Offline

Yea, I here you... Time honored methods. They have a look that cannot be replaced with fast-track methods.

BTW: The Blood Red, Behlen stain just arrived by mail. Oh boy I get to play tonite.

http://www.icm.cc
transforming ideas into reality
Sidelock
Sidelock

Boyohboyohboy, can't wait to hear your results YOGI. I'll shortly be in the market for some of your SuperRed stain/finish on another project. Ken

Ken Hurst
910-221-5288
Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm jumping in here late, but I have a gun that a really masterful craftsman from NY did the restoration on. He restocked it as well as any wellknown stockmaker's work and the finish is superb. It has a nice sheen that is a bit on the glossy side but 'in-the-wood'.

The process he outlined to me was that he took Pro-Custom Oil in the aerosol can and sprayed it into a cup and thinned 50% with mineral spirits. Then sanded in half a dozen coats and the usual sanding to smooth. Then sprayed a couple coats and sanded/polished to desired sheen. The PCO dries very quickly and is durable and waterproof.

I almost forgot, since PCO is compatible with mineral spirits, one could take the solution of alkenet root/mineral spirits and blend with the PCO.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Chuck, would this old man be Brian Burgen ? If so, he is closing down the biz. ken

Ken Hurst
910-221-5288
Sidelock
Sidelock

Hansli,thanks for your response to my tongue in cheek 'pop' you know as well as I that the UK has to be eternally grateful to Alan Ladd & John Wayne.
Chuck H, yes of course modern techniques are very efficient and may well exceed older traditional methods, using less time and making less mess.The difficult decision will always be when to use modern or traditional techniques.
I think traditional 'English' oil rubbed will always be preferred on a quality exhibition or collectors piece, IMHO.

Page 12 of 32 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 31 32

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.