May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
1 members (AGS), 374 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,506
Posts545,579
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

Good hinting all who keep the jungle law smile

I've recently stumbled on a spiritful description of a pre-12th frenzy in 1860s, in a book by James Dougall (the gunmaker). He describes early August as a gunmaker's hell, a time when everyone who previously disclaimed any intention to shoot grouse this year would suddenly wake up and send in their guns for inspection and repairs. One gentleman came in on the 8th or 9th with an order to have his gun rebarreled, and on calling at 11th and finding the job not done, complained about slow service smile I can copypaste the complete text here if anyone's interested.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Those interested in learning more on Grouse shooting in 18-19 century U.K. the book;" Going to the Moors," by Ronald Eden is
a must read! The book is well researched and includes many period illustrations.

Roy Hebbes
Sidelock
Sidelock

Wonderful dogs. I miss mine he's been gone over 10 years. My Hunting buddy still double checks the truck before opening the door to make sure he's not in it when we go duck hunting.

GMCS #334409 08/13/13 08:31 PM
GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: GMCS
... Has She started a Hand and Arm collection?

I spit coffee on the keyboard early a.m. when I read this. Thanks for the Tuesday kick-start. Gil

Sidelock
Sidelock

I envy the British. Any time you can stand still and have the game come to you, well that is like the cat's meow!
No kidding though any reports on how the grouse season opening was?

Mike Proctor
Sidelock
Sidelock

Just got a call to say that my local moor will be shooting on the 12th., of September that is, so you will have to await the report from that one. Lagopus.....

lagopus #334688 08/16/13 09:30 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

I won't be in GB for grouse, but I can watch the You Tube videos. Some of them are really good. One question, though. Do the Brits really understand each other? What keeps me from travelling to GB would be the embarrassment of not understanding one g..dmn word they say.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Don't worry; we have the same problem. :-) Lagopus.....

Sidelock
Sidelock

That reminds me of an Englishman who used to come often from the head office to inspect my wife's production site. I don't remember exactly which part of England he was from, only that he cheered for Blackburn, but he was difficult to understand at time, especially off work after a few drinks. Most Russians he met never gave a notice to his accent, except when he said the word "Russia". He pronounced it "Roosha". That's when everybody rushed to correct him. He'd laugh it off, saying "Hey, I'm English. It's my language, I am the one to tell you how to pronounce which word!"

Sidelock
Sidelock

Humpty, regional English dialects fascinate me. If I dropped into a local Derbyshire dialect someone from a neighbouring county may undersatnd me reasonably well but someone from a couple of hundred or so miles away would hardly undersatnd a word. Being used to Derbyshire I can place people to the town even though they are only a few miles apart by odd words they speak. Surely, in Russia you must be able to pick a person out from the region they come from by what they say.

Anyway, we are slightly off thread. I have just been sorting out my dates for the forthcoming pheasant shoots. Although the season starts on the 1st. October the first shoots aren't until mid November. We tend to take our time here and rarely rush out on the first day of the season. I think it is because the seasons are long no one seems in any hurry. Lagopus.....

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.