Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
wsorce #33560 03/31/07 02:18 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

I was interested in learning about Nitro 100, since Jim Legg recommended it for low pressure loads. Accurate does indeed PUBLISH pressures for reduced loads, and their data is voluminous.

Another refreshing thing is that Accurate lumps all standard 209 primers in one category and dosen't split hairs or waste time testing each and every one. Guess what guys? With the possible exception of the CCI 209M and Federal, all 209's are pretty much the same just like some of us have been saying for a while now.

I'm of the opinion that the primary variable in reloading is the condition of the hull. Good firm crimp, good shell. Crummy crimp, crummy shell.

"The price of good shotgunnery is constant practice" - Fred Kimble
Sidelock
Sidelock

SGJ,I tried Nitro 100 for damascus reloading on Jim's rec. I suspect it's RD with more data and no dots. Perhaps not; it's a double-base powder; not sure about RD, both fast burning. Chopped extruded cylinders like RD or Promo but much smaller in diameter. Get down to 4900psi with 7/8 oz in 12 gauge and it goes off consistently in cold weather. Need a bit of faith as it seems to have been made everywhere. Had a couple 1 lb bottles which I recall were made in Czechoslovakia, 4 lb. jug says Canada, latest 8 pounder doesn't say. Pretty economical for target fodder, price and amt used per load. This and Promo and some IMR numerical stuff for 16 gauge are about all I have on hand. BTB, 2003 Accurate Arms manual does list pressure differences for loads in which one of two variables is primer (other being wad choice).

jack

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have always found velocities in the 1100-1200 fps mv range to provide adequate killing with appropriate shot sizes. I believe for the most part in the eyes of the "Speed Kills" club this is considered "Low Velocity" as they are generally speaking of speeds approaching 1400 fps mv or more. Shot size must be taken into account with velocity. Exmple a #5 shot @ 1135 mv reaches 40 yds @ only 715fps. A #6 though to reach 40 yds @ an identical 715fps requires an 1185 MV. At this identical 715fps the #5 packs 2.93 ftlbs while the #6 has 2.18 ftlbs of energy. A #6 propelled @ 1330 mv, a full 195fps faster than the 1135 #5 will arrive at 40 yds only 50 fps faster, 765, & still have only 2.50 ftlbs. The smaller shot of course can put more shot in the pattern. It's just all a balancing act.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
2-piper #33577 03/31/07 05:10 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

So, when pushing lead balloons at feathered fauna, a little more of everything is good up to the point where there is much less of something.

jack

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have shot thousands of 1 oz/red dot loads and never had a pattern problem, good arrows, poor indian on occasion. Jim keeps saying loads don't affect recoil, only charge weight and speed?? He does shoot an auto with a recoil pad must not be due to recoil just good looks????
bill

Sidelock
Sidelock

Not sure what your point is, Bill. I never said "loads don't affect recoil" I said burning rate of powder doesn't affect recoil, and I'll say it again: burning rate of powder doesn't affect recoil. Recoil is determined by the weight of the ejecta(powder, wad and shot), the velocity and the weight of the gun. Not by bore size, length of forcing cones, construction of the base wad in the shell and not by the latest line of BS in the advertisements. I shoot all sorts of guns. Mostly doubles, one single, two gas autos and one muxzzle loader. All of them have recoil pads because recoil pads reduce felt recoil. I have also never seen a true donut pattern. And I don't have any idea what the point of your post was. Assuming the same velocity, the only effect burning rate of powder has on recoil is that slow burning powder produces more of it because you need more powder to produce the same velocity(adds to the ejecta weight).

> Jim Legg <

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.