May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
6 members (battle, Stanton Hillis, Southern Sport, buckstix, Buzz, Fudd), 463 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,499
Posts545,465
Members14,414
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#334605 08/15/13 12:07 PM
bsteele Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I've got a 416 wildcat with a Blackburn trigger (2005 vinatge)and a Blackburn trigger guard. I had trouble a few years ago with the trigger not releasing the sear and found that it had come out of adjustment (another story, but if that 400 gr bullet running 2400fps had decided to go off after I dismounted the gun I'd say my hand/wrist would still hurt). I disassembled the gun, adjusted the trigger and added some blue locktite. problem solved. Last week I had the rifle at the range and when I pushed the bolt home the striker went forward. I have now lost all confidence in this trigger.

What recommendations are there for a good reliable trigger for a Mauser? Obviously the original 2-stage is probably the best, and I like them, but this rifle is already stocked around the trigger being set in the back of the bow.

Bryndon

Last edited by bsteele; 08/15/13 12:11 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have a very lightly used 98 Mauser Blackburn trigger. PM if you are interested. Jerry

Sidelock
Sidelock

bsteel,

I had a very similar problem on a 375/338 Mauser.It still makes me wince to think about it. The gun had a Model 70 style safety conversion on it and when released it would drop. I reverted back to a slicked up 2 stage trigger and conventional safety. Then sold it! smile

Ken

Dodging lions and wasting time.....
LRF Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Quote:
Then sold it! smile
After all it was a Mauser! wink LOL

bsteele Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

My rifle currently has a Blackburn trigger in it. I'm looking for suggestions for a different all-steel aftermarket trigger so I don't wind up with a 15" LOP. I will modify a military trigger to single stage and cut/weld to sit in the back of the bow if I have to, but I'm looking at that as a last resort.

LRF Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Would a Timney work? If not can you explain?

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have never used a Blackburn trigger but I see they are used frequently by custom builders so should be a good one.

Just a suggestion but having the firing pin drop when bolt is closed is usually the result of insufficient sear engagement or too light a trigger pull. I've also found that with triggers that have the levers enclosed ie. Timney, Canjar , Remington & such that if oil & or cleaning solvent is allowed to get into the trigger housing it can congeal over time & cause the problem you are describing & from picture of the Blackburn it looks similar in design.

I always use a rod guide when cleaning to prevent this & I don't put any oil into the trigger housing.

Try spraying with an aerosol solvent like Gun Scrubber if you have not done so & check sear engagement & pull weight before giving up on it.

I have used Timney triggers on all of my Mauser sporters with either a M70 or Buehler type safety & never had any issues but I don't know how a Timney will work out for you with trigger placement within the guard bow.

On a DWM 1909 action with original hinged floorplate & trigger guard assy. & a Timney (not sure of the model but was called Sportsman or Sportsman LW I think w/blued steel trigger & aluminum trigger housing)the distance from the center of the rear guard screw to the center of the rear edge of trigger bow is approximately 0.6".

I'm not positive what Mauser triggers Timney currently makes but it shouldn't be difficult to find old stock & at one time Timney made Trigger assemblies with 2 different lengths of trigger bows for a neater fit depending on the trigger guard & floorplate used.

That said, it's tough to beat the Winchester M70 exposed 2 lever trigger system or the original Mauser trigger system for absolute reliability under all conditions & it's what I would want on a rifle I intended to use on dangerous game.

Last edited by Brittany Man; 08/16/13 02:43 PM. Reason: addl content
Sidelock
Sidelock

Timney, Boyd, Canjar, are common triggers you may buy from Brownell's Inc which will come close to fitting the Blackburn trigger you have. There are other replacement makers too....Dayton Trayster, Dressel's, etc. These are all listed in the Brownell's catalog. I believe the Blackburn trigger was inspired by the Timney trigger but am not sure. Ted was a man of many talents when it came to metal as a gunsmith.

Dennis Earl Smith/Benefactor Life NRA, ACGG Professional member
bsteele Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Sorry for the delay in replies - I've been away.

The rifle is a recent (2005) full-up custom by Jack Haugh in his wildcat 416 Haugh. It's a first-class rifle in every respect. I am very proud of the rifle and take good care of it (clean it regularly, use a bore guide, etc).

I agree that the sear didn't reset to catch the cocking piece. I am going to have it apart this week and will give the trigger a good visual for residue, reset spring issues, etc. The fact that it is a pretty new 1-owner rifle and well cared for make me doubt that I will find much build-up, but I won't rule it out.

I want to stick with an all-steel trigger because I just don't like aluminum, unless it is a 12 or 16oz container from St. Louis. I've been looking at the Recknagle from NECG and a couple others that escape me right now. I'd really like to keep the Blackburn in the gun. However, this is the second time I've had trouble with it and the thought of 5000+/- ft-lbs of muzzle energy through an un-mounted rifle is nothing I want to experience.

I'll try to get some pictures when I have the metal out of the stock.

Thanks for all of the well thought-out and helpful responses!

Bryndon

Sidelock
Sidelock

bsteel,

If you haven't already, check out the Dressel Mauser trigger. It's basically a Win M70 2 lever design for a Mauser.

I've been mostly away from rifle for some time with my primary interest now in shotguns & was unaware of the Dressel trigger until recently. Brownells has them & Paul Dressel has his own web site.

BTW Jack Haugh does excellent work. That should be a fine rifle. Please post some pictures.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.