Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#336158 08/29/13 12:58 AM
thekhan Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Gents,

I need to have to SxS barrels slow rust blued. Who does the best hand polishing and slow rust bluing that could beat European Quality. I had experience with famous shop in Bloomfield, NY. Their work did not impress me.

Any suggestions?

With all the best.

Sidelock
Sidelock

thekhan,
Try New England Custom Guns.
Mike

Sidelock
Sidelock

The Europeans are famous for keeping secrets of their best practices, whereas our custom gun guilds share methods quite commonly. Some continental gunmakers are able to come up with rust bluing that is almost glossy, whereas what I see on this side of the pond is usually quite matte. Good luck finding someone who knows the secrets to do otherwise...Steve

Sidelock
Sidelock

You might check examples done by Sergey Lyalko in Natick, MA
http://www.rustbluing.com/index.html

Sidelock
Sidelock

When polishing for rust bluing,generally worn 320 grit(maybe 400 grit)cloth is used(by hand).If the barrels are highly polished with "rouge" on a polishing wheel, the bluing solution won't "bite"(especially on hardened steel).Furthermore, the rusting action of the solution will produce a somewhat matt finish anyway.This is the normally desired finish.Some people may wax/polish rustblued barrels for a shiny finish, not I.
Mike

Sidelock
Sidelock

Khan;

View this link: http://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbt...&PHPSESSID=

You will see that a participant "CJO" has submitted photos of a gloss finish gun he has blacked. One of the partcipants of this discussion is also "SDH" which is Steven Dodd Hughes. Give SDH a call and see who CJO is and if he will black a set of barrels for you. From the photo the barrels look almost like a London or Birmingham blacking.

I have done considerable study on this subject as well as technical experiments and actual blacking. As a result I have determined how I believe the English get the gloss finish as I have been able to do it. (I do not do work for others) The success at gloss finish is in the majority "the process" and the technique practiced. Of course one has to have a formula that will black, but whilst I lived in England I have seen gloss results from several different people using different formulas.

To produce a lovely gloss finish that looks perfect even in sunlight takes a lot of time and experience, and no wonder such a finish can cost upwards to 1,000 pounds sterling in UK.

Bv

Sidelock
Sidelock

Those pics of the Holland make me green with envy. Any additional comments or secrets would be hugely welcomed!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Most of us on this side of the pond that do quality rust blueing, often rust blue barrels with a high gloss deep black finish at the customers request, for those willing to pay for it........

Gents, F.Y.I., it's not rocket science and any tradesman worth his salt can do it.....IT MAKES NO DIFFERENCE WHICH CONTINENT THE TRADESMAN LIVES ON.

Doug

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: PA24

Most of us on this side of the pond that do quality rust blueing, often rust blue barrels with a high gloss deep black finish at the customers request, for those willing to pay for it........

Gents, F.Y.I., it's not rocket science and any tradesman worth his salt can do it.....IT MAKES NO DIFFERENCE WHICH CONTINENT THE TRADESMAN LIVES ON.

Very nice job on that AH Fox.
Did you do the work? I am wanting to get my daugthers 20ga Fox barrels rust blued.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: greypartridge

Very nice job on that AH Fox.
Did you do the work? I am wanting to get my daugthers 20ga Fox barrels rust blued.

greypartridge:

Yes....thanks for your comments. Send me a PM on your Fox barrels.

Doug

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.