May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 603 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,506
Posts545,607
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Sidelock
Sidelock

In July 2006 I contacted Roger Hancox, Proof Master at Birmingham and asked for a comparison of 850 bar and 3 1/4 tons per square inch. The reply I received was detailed but beyond my comprehension. Perhaps someone with an advanced degree in maths and/or engineering could come with a practical comparison chart, so that so that we ordinary people can be confident That we are selecting shells that develope pressures suitable for safe use in our English guns. Mr, Hancox E mail address is ACVOKE@aol.com.

PS. Here are the conversion factors that apply:
1UK. long ton =2240 pounds. 3 1/4 tons per square inch =7280
1 Bar =14.50377 p.s.i.

As you may have already guessed a strict mathematical comparisons is not applicable.

Roy Hebbes
Sidelock
Sidelock

I emailed the Birmingham proof house some time back and asked what loads should be used in a steel barrelled hammergun with NITRO 1 1/8 proof marks from between 1904-25.

They replied:

"Dear Writer,
I am not sure where you are but guess you are sited in the U.S.A. so I will answer both ways namely:-
a. U.S.A. answer it can be used with standard velocity 2 1/2" nitro cartridges where the shot load does not exceed 1 1/8ozs and the packets made in the U.S.A. will be marked 2 1/2 dram equivalent.Must be lead shot.
b. G.B. 850 bar marks on box for 2 1/2" 65mm nitro cartridges standard velocity -1 1/8oz load of standard lead shot."

GDU

Sidelock
Sidelock

2240 x 3¼ TSI = 7280 PSI
7280 PSI ÷ 14.50377 = 501.938 BAR
These are the simple mthamatical conversions. What has to be understood is this is applicable only as long as we are talking the same system. Thus 3¼ Tons (Crusher) is equal to 502BAR (Crusher) or 7280 PSI (Crusher). It is not equal to 502 "Actual Bar" nor is it equal to 7,280 "Actual PSI". The actuals in both cases would be higher. The "Tranducer" pressures for 3¼ tons should be about 9800PSI or 675 Bar.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
Sidelock

I just emailed the proofhouse and asked them the same questions as Roy and Greg. Still awaiting a response. In the meantime, I'm confident that Miller's figures are within the safe range for guns carrying the old "tons" marking.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: revdocdrew
I had no problem getting the pressure infro from RST, Polywad, Fiocchi, Kent, Gamebore, or the Bismuth folks. Federal responded but was vague "It generally runs between 9000-10,500 psi" Remington, Eley, and Winchester never responded to my requests, and I intend to purchase shells from those that did.

Rev,
Given all the cautions about American ammo mfrs ammo that "must be assumed to be maximum SAAMI pressure because lots of powder drive pressure all over the place and only velocity is maintained", and the confusion with conversion from one system (LUP/psi), the Armbrust finding of a error or misunderstanding, and the fact that some of these mfrs don't publish pressure data but 'responded' with data, and lastly the small but precious fingers and eyes that you have grown attached to, ....wouldn't it be prudent to get independent pressure data, rather than trust an email?

Over the years, the reloaders on this bbs, for various age guns, have exercised conservatism in selecting loads by dropping pressures below what they believed the subject gun was proofed/built to handle. For an older gun, I think its equally wise to do the same with factory loads, especially given the confusion over conversions between LUP/piezio psi.

Arbrust's services or a Pressure Trace will look very cheap after a serious problem.

Just my thoughts on all the discussion in this very informative thread.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Certainly reasonable Chuck, and the 16g Low Pressure Reloading Group has done that, with both factory shells and reloads
http://www.16ga.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=921
And if engineers, research scientists, and physicians the world over have agreed to speak the same 'language', why can't the British, French, Italians, Germans, and Americans...oh...never mind

Sidelock
Sidelock

C'mon Doc, half the time engineers and schientists (yeah, i spelled it that way on purpose) can't communicate across a room, let alone with physicians. That's how they muffed the Mars approach wadent it?

Stay safe, Doc

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: 2-piper
"Those are the actual PSI( pounds per square inch )"
Note that if these are LUP pressures then they "Are Not" actual psi. We poor peons will never sort all this out until the makers & proof houses decide to use correct terminology. 1 actual psi should be 1 psi whether measured by SAAMI, CIP or whoever. Some 40 yrs ago we of the US quit using the psi term except on those pressure recorded by the tranducer method which repotedly gives correct readings. Others are listed as LUP's or CUP's depending upon the crusher metal. The 14.503 conversion factor between psi & bar is based upon "Actual Correct" pressure readings, not crusher pressure.

I think Miller summed up the situation concisely.

Take a look at the second picture, "appareil-manometre a multiples crushers", "pressure test apparatus for multiple crushers". A very slick piece of test equipment in the 19th century!

The more I look at that piece of test equipment, the more the phrase, "human error" goes through my head. I am sure that on the best of days, every effort was made to achieve the highest degree of human precision to measure those crushers. I also wonder just how far off the measurements could have been on the worst of days. Besides just the measurements, some pretty slick statistical techniques would have to have been in use to throw out the aberrations that human error potentially introduces. All of this gets put by the wayside with the introduction of transducers.

Why certain groups insist on using outdated terminology is a mystery to me. The sensor and circuitry are wired to show the output using a chosen nomenclature. However, the raw data is independent of this gibberish. In other words the sensor is producing either voltage or resistance. Call it that.

Pete

Sidelock
Sidelock

Sometimes, I don't think we give enough credit to the capabilities of our forefathers from the 19th century. It's test devices like that rifle that were the basis for the tapers rifle barrels have.

While a tranducer certainly has some advantages, the need for statistically significant samples still holds true.

As for giving transducer raw data in voltage or whatever, it would seem to me to be useless unless one knew what the comparative calibration of voltage/pressure was.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Sometimes a significant sample can be very painfull. Much of it is common sense which is probably why many old Damascus barrels hold up well. They were overbuilt for safety.

So many guns, so little time!
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.