May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
2 members (2 invisible), 561 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,541
Posts546,048
Members14,420
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
PM Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Rocketman
Originally Posted By: PM
Same velocity. Based on never say " --- never," I'll stop short of saying, "Can't be!" But, I'm very skeptical and am looking for a plausible explaination. It must be something related to less friction in the smoothbore section. I have trouble with that. Reduced friction should translate into more velocity and/or higher recoil. The friction force on the bullet is easily seen to be drag and, therefore, the force acting on the gun must be in the thrust (muzzle) direction. Holland was quite adamant concerning their rifle weights and recoil. The 8 bore was advertised as reduced weight better handling and increased velocity as compared to a fully rifled arm. OK, I really have a problem with that!! You can't have increased velocity and reduced recoil. Increased velocity with constant gives increased momentum for the ejecta and, therefore, increased momentum for the gun. Reduced weight because of lighter recoil. I can attest the 8 paradox balances magnificently and shoulders like a much lighter gun. Could you give us the weight and balance point to front trigger for this gun, please?

15lb gun 7-71/4"
Advertising for the period indicates increased velocity (I don't have a fully rifled Holland 8 but had another makers gun here for a while a 17lbder and velocities were similar). The fact that the majority of the big bore pdxes were made a couple of pounds lighter than fully rifled guns is a "smoking gun" indication of lighter recoil.
If you have an interest or curiosity in the paradox you might want to invest in Roger Lakes book "Paradox" It would be impossible to duplicate the information in this book, if one were to try and do so on his own.

PM Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Joe Taylor
Originally Posted By: Jagermeister
Assuming favorable weather conditions scoped TarHunt is good to 200 paces. What is practical range of English-made Paradox gun?

Ross worked up loads for my Evans and it shoots an honest 3 to 4 -inch L/R x L/R four round group at 100 yards. I bet it would do three if my eyes were younger. I have never fired a group at paper farther than that. I can personally testify that it will roll a warthog at eighty and drop sand grouse at forty. Perceived recoil is like any normal twelve of a pigeon weight gun. It is a different art than shooting a double rifle, and I believe that has everything to do with barrel dwell time - a combination of relatively long tubes and slow velocity compared to something like a .470. One really has to consciously follow through much more than one would with an express rifle.

The big bores and the Super magnum are considerably faster (450 to 500fps).

PM Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I said somewhat less recoil not no recoil.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Same velocity. Based on never say " --- never," I'll stop short of saying, "Can't be!" But, I'm very skeptical and am looking for a plausible explaination. It must be something related to less friction in the smoothbore section. I have trouble with that. Reduced friction should translate into more velocity and/or higher recoil. The friction force on the bullet is easily seen to be drag and, therefore, the force acting on the gun must be in the thrust (muzzle) direction. Holland was quite adamant concerning their rifle weights and recoil. The 8 bore was advertised as reduced weight better handling and increased velocity as compared to a fully rifled arm. OK, I really have a problem with that!! You can't have increased velocity and reduced recoil. Increased velocity with constant gives increased momentum for the ejecta and, therefore, increased momentum for the gun. Reduced weight because of lighter recoil. I can attest the 8 paradox balances magnificently and shoulders like a much lighter gun. Could you give us the weight and balance point to front trigger for this gun, please?

15lb gun 7-71/4"

OK, let's have a look at roughly comparable guns for an estimate of the objective handling.

W. J. Jeffery Double Rifle BLNE, .600 NE, 24" bbls, 14 3/8" LOP: weight = 14 1/2#, balance = 5 3/8", unmounted swing effort = 2.70, mounted swing effort = 14.89, compactness = 9.29

Westley Richards New Drop Lock BLE, 2009 Production, 8 bore, 34" bbls, 15 1/4" LOP: weight = 12# 7 oz, balance = 7 5/8", unmounted swing effort = 3.38, mounted swing effort = 17.43, compactness = 11.22

Greener SXS side lever hammer non-ejector #11510, 10-2 7/8" bore, 36" dam bbls, 14 1/4" LOP: weight = 11# 9 oz, balance = 7", unmounted swing effort = 3.08, mounted swing effort = 14.34, compactness = 11.11

The three guns above are very heavy to lift, require substantial effort to point in a different direction (around twice the effort of a typical game gun), and near heroic effort after mounting (about 2 1/2 times the effort of a typical game gun - sorta like shooting a pair while holding both guns at the same time). The balance is well forward, but generally managable. I think these subjective and objective descriptions should apply to the Paradox.

Considering the weight of the .600 NE above (14 1/2#), I'm going to venture that the extra weight of the fully rifled barrels made a "15# 8 bore" unworkable; unless the 8 bore rifle has more recoil than the .600 NE. So, the Paradox was the solution for a more weight managable gun and an "excuse" for the lighter weight that was needed. Unexplainable lower recoil seems to suit. We all know how accurate advertising claims tend to be.

Advertising for the period indicates increased velocity (I don't have a fully rifled Holland 8 but had another makers gun here for a while a 17lbder and velocities were similar). The fact that the majority of the big bore pdxes were made a couple of pounds lighter than fully rifled guns is a "smoking gun" indication of lighter recoil.
If you have an interest or curiosity in the paradox you might want to invest in Roger Lakes book "Paradox" It would be impossible to duplicate the information in this book, if one were to try and do so on his own.

Last edited by Rocketman; 11/14/13 11:12 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I will have an H & H 16 gauge Paradox at my table (within the group of tables for the Lefever Arms Collectors) if you are bringing your scale and spinner. I'm not sure how that would add light to this discussion, but you are certainly welcome to take any and all measurements!

PM Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

15lb gun 7-71/4"

OK, let's have a look at roughly comparable guns for an estimate of the objective handling.

W. J. Jeffery Double Rifle BLNE, .600 NE, 24" bbls, 14 3/8" LOP: weight = 14 1/2#, balance = 5 3/8", unmounted swing effort = 2.70, mounted swing effort = 14.89, compactness = 9.29

Westley Richards New Drop Lock BLE, 2009 Production, 8 bore, 34" bbls, 15 1/4" LOP: weight = 12# 7 oz, balance = 7 5/8", unmounted swing effort = 3.38, mounted swing effort = 17.43, compactness = 11.22

Greener SXS side lever hammer non-ejector #11510, 10-2 7/8" bore, 36" dam bbls, 14 1/4" LOP: weight = 11# 9 oz, balance = 7", unmounted swing effort = 3.08, mounted swing effort = 14.34, compactness = 11.11

The three guns above are very heavy to lift, require substantial effort to point in a different direction (around twice the effort of a typical game gun), and near heroic effort after mounting (about 2 1/2 times the effort of a typical game gun - sorta like shooting a pair while holding both guns at the same time). The balance is well forward, but generally managable. I think these subjective and objective descriptions should apply to the Paradox.

Considering the weight of the .600 NE above (14 1/2#), I'm going to venture that the extra weight of the fully rifled barrels made a "15# 8 bore" unworkable; unless the 8 bore rifle has more recoil than the .600 NE. So, the Paradox was the solution for a more weight managable gun and an "excuse" for the lighter weight that was needed. Unexplainable lower recoil seems to suit. We all know how accurate advertising claims tend to be.

We need to compare apples to apples. We were talking about 8 bore conical guns And let me get the semantics correct without any puffing;
The 8 bore paradox has the ability to shoot a conical bullet of the same weight with the same powder load at a higher velocity than the fully rifled arm and with lower recoil. Holland and Holland took advantage of the reduced recoil to shave a pound or two off the paradox. That would mean recoil would be similar to that of a pound or two heavier fully rifled gun. I would believe the same could be said for the 20,12 and 10 bore paradox guns in comparison to corresponding rifles with similar loadings.
The 8 bore paradox was never offered with a nitro loading.
As to recoil decide for yourself;

Sidelock
Sidelock

Looking at those recoil figures, I have to wonder how they ever got anyone to shoot one of the larger bore guns more than once.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The formula for Recoil Energy (Kinetic) is RE = ½MV².
A 15 lb gun recoiling @30 FPS will give that 210 FtLbs of recoil energy shown for the 8 Bore with 1257 grain "Ball" @ 1500 FPS, matters not whether its rifled, smooth or part of each.
Take a 12ga half that weight (7½lbs) & fire 1¼ oz to 1250 fps & you will get a recoil velocity of about 15 FPS or half that quoted for the above 8 gauge. This 7½ lb gun recoiling @ 15 FPS will give a recoil energy of 26 FtLbs or 1/8th that of the 8 bore.
Note that on the weight side of the formula the change is linear while on the velocity side it is proportional to the Square, thus multiplying both factord by 2 gives not 4 times the RE but 8 times.
Of importance though is KE is highly subjective. Of far greater importance to the person firing the shot is the Recoil velocity which in these two cited examples has doubled.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
Sidelock

[quote=PM
15lb gun 7-71/4"

Objective handling of the Paradox should be something like the "more or less comparables" that follow:

W. J. Jeffery Double Rifle BLNE, .600 NE, 24" bbls, 14 3/8" LOP, weight = 14# 8 oz, balance = 5 3/8", unmounted swing effort = 2.70, Mounted swing effort = 14.89, compactness = 9.29

Westley Richards New Drop Lock BLE 2009 Production, 8 bore, 34" bbls, 15 1/4" LOP, weight = 12# 7 oz, balance = 7 5/8", unmounted swing effort = 3.38, mounted swing effort = 17.43, compactness = 11.22

Greener SXS side lever hammer NE #11510, 10 - 2 7/8" bore, 36" dam bbls, 14 1/4" LOP, weight = 11.56, balance = 7", unmounted swing effort = 3.08, mounted swing effort = 14.34, compactness = 11.11

Subjective for the above is as follows: weight is " very, very heavy" ie. lots for muscle effort to lift and carry, balance is very forward, but, generally managable, and both mounted and unmounted swings are very slow. The unmount swings are at the top end of heavy target guns and the mounted swings are near heroic at about 1/3 more than heavy target guns. If unfamiliar with such heavy guns, consider shooting a typical pair of game guns --- at the same time!!! The foregoing is in no way intended to imply "poor" handling, rather it is intended to show that such guns do, indeed, require considerable muscle effort.

If you have an interest or curiosity in the paradox you might want to invest in Roger Lakes book "Paradox" It would be impossible to duplicate the information in this book, if one were to try and do so on his own. [/quote] I can't come up with a plausible explaination as to why a Paradox might have lower recoil than a fully rifled gun. I suspect that H&H may well have discovered that they could get the same performance on game with the Paradox as with a fully rifled gun. They also knew that they could cut a "couple of pounds" off the weight of the Paradox, but not the rifle (say 15% weight reduction) but also knew that reducing weight would cause a sales problem unless they addressed recoil. Consider the concern for recoil expressed in this thread!! Sooooo, the advertising department "decided" that the Paradox, for unexplained reasons, had less recoil than the rifle. We all know how committed to truth ad departments can be. And, by the way, looking at the recoil and KE table, is it any wonder the .577 and .600 NE's eclipsed the 8 bore?

DDA

PM Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

[quote=PM
15lb gun 7-71/4"

Objective handling of the Paradox should be something like the "more or less comparables" that follow:

W. J. Jeffery Double Rifle BLNE, .600 NE, 24" bbls, 14 3/8" LOP, weight = 14# 8 oz, balance = 5 3/8", unmounted swing effort = 2.70, Mounted swing effort = 14.89, compactness = 9.29

Westley Richards New Drop Lock BLE 2009 Production, 8 bore, 34" bbls, 15 1/4" LOP, weight = 12# 7 oz, balance = 7 5/8", unmounted swing effort = 3.38, mounted swing effort = 17.43, compactness = 11.22

Greener SXS side lever hammer NE #11510, 10 - 2 7/8" bore, 36" dam bbls, 14 1/4" LOP, weight = 11.56, balance = 7", unmounted swing effort = 3.08, mounted swing effort = 14.34, compactness = 11.11

Subjective for the above is as follows: weight is " very, very heavy" ie. lots for muscle effort to lift and carry, balance is very forward, but, generally managable, and both mounted and unmounted swings are very slow. The unmount swings are at the top end of heavy target guns and the mounted swings are near heroic at about 1/3 more than heavy target guns. If unfamiliar with such heavy guns, consider shooting a typical pair of game guns --- at the same time!!! The foregoing is in no way intended to imply "poor" handling, rather it is intended to show that such guns do, indeed, require considerable muscle effort.

DDA

Were not comparing 16 bore upland game guns to DG bore rifles here. There are no illusions; DG bore rifles are heavy but the Holland 8 paradox when compared to like weapons shoulders and swings like a much lighter gun. When it is between your hands and on your shoulder it does not feel like a 15lb gun. That may be subjective and jmo but I would not be the first to voice it in this century or the one previous.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.