May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
6 members (Kolar Dickson, arrieta2, Chad Linder, Hammergun, Ted Schefelbein, 1 invisible), 1,146 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,511
Posts545,658
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

CZ Bobwhite. 5.3 lbs. About $850. Double triggers, extractors, choke tubes.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I felt the same way about needing a 28ga and bought a Parker Repro. Tried it for a while on desert quail in place of my Parker VHE 20ga in which I hand load 3/4oz loads (same as 28ga). I know there will be those who say it isn't so, but the 20ga was so superior with the 3/4oz loads to the same loads in the 28ga with respect to desert quail I sold the 28ga. The weight difference of a couple ounces was not worth the money for the second gauge.

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Jerry V Lape
I felt the same way about needing a 28ga and bought a Parker Repro. Tried it for a while on desert quail in place of my Parker VHE 20ga in which I hand load 3/4oz loads (same as 28ga). I know there will be those who say it isn't so, but the 20ga was so superior with the 3/4oz loads to the same loads in the 28ga with respect to desert quail I sold the 28ga. The weight difference of a couple ounces was not worth the money for the second gauge.

That, is the cold, hard, truth, right there. Ignore it at risk to a bunch of your own cash.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

This has nothing to do with practicality. If it did, you'd never get past the fried chicken stand in town, as AmarilloMike pointed out a while back. The man "needs" a 28ga. Its an itch. Help him scratch it. Isn't the subject of this whole forum about an impractical itch? After all, what the heck is practical about a $10k damascus, short chambered gun?

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Chuck H
This has nothing to do with practicality. If it did, you'd never get past the fried chicken stand in town, as AmarilloMike pointed out a while back. The man "needs" a 28ga. Its an itch. Help him scratch it. Isn't the subject of this whole forum about an impractical itch? After all, what the heck is practical about a $10k damascus, short chambered gun?

I don't own any of them. One has to beware, is it an itch, or is it psoriasis?

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Ted Schefelbein
Originally Posted By: Chuck H

I don't own any of them. One has to beware, is it an itch, or is it psoriasis?

Best,
Ted

Ted
Don't go hypochondriac on us. Its just an itch. He didn't say he was cashing in his 401k to buy a Famars.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks for the input. I titled "Fools Errand" for a reason, I REALLY don't need a 28. I have a 6# Webley 2.5" 12 bore and a RBL 20 that I shoot well, either fills all the holes the 28 might plug and plug them better. Never owned one, see my buddies having fun with their 28's and justify it by deciding I need one. A little surfing the 'net and I just might scratch my itch.

Steve

"Every one must believe in something, I believe I'll go hunting today."
JNW Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

There is almost nothing in the shotgun world that is more fun for me than dropping those cute little red 28 gauge shells in the chambers. When I shoot targets it is so enjoyable to break the long birds with a 28 that the other guys have trouble breaking with a 12. And shooting wild birds RESPONSIBLY with a 28 is crazy kool. I have shot a pile of wild birds with a 28 gauge and it is a hoot. Cobbhead - buy a Beretta. Get a baby frame if you can. Nobody, and I mean nobody, makes a better field 28 O/U than Beretta. Go to Joel Etchen's website and look at all the little Berettas. Just do NOT look at the custom small gauge sets. Evil thoughts will fill your head. Here is my Beretta 20/28. Its a parts gun that I put together myself.

The Ruger will also work well as long as you don't run thousands of rounds through it yearly. I also have an RBL 28 and it weighs 5lb 10oz. I shoot little guns pretty well, but that gun is difficult for me to be consistent with. It is a neat little gun, though, but a bit more than you want to spend. Get a 28. Be Happy!
Regards,
Jeff

Last edited by JNW; 11/18/13 10:57 PM. Reason: spelling

"We are men of action. Lies do not become us."
Wesley
Sidelock
Sidelock

I don't think so... That it's a fool's errand, that is.

I have been hunting grouse & woodcock for more than 30 years, and I use a 28. A S x S W.J. Jeffery BLNE, 4 pounds 5 oz., and I LOVE it.

Easy to carry over the miles, and very quick to get into action. I would not want to try shooting driven birds with it, but for snap shooting it the thick stuff, I have found nothing better.

But I doubt that you will find an O & U quite that light.

BTW - Larry, I have one of those A & F Rizzini-Zoli guns in 28, it weighs 4 pounds 14 oz. Also a S x S BLNE. A very nice little gun, almost new condition, and is prooved for 2 3/4" shells, but it sits in the safe whle I carry the Jeffery and 5/8 oz RSTs.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Mark Ouellette
How about a light English boxlock 2" or 2.5" 12 gauge. many of them are 6 lbs and some less...

There are also 16 and 20 gauge Fox Sterlingworths that weigh 6 lbs and are priced well under $2k.

The problem with the 2" guns is ammo. If you're only going to hunt with the gun and not shoot many targets, no problem. But it gets expensive if you shoot a lot. A few people do reload 2", but not many. 28ga, on the other hand . . . easy to reload.

You'll probably look long and hard for a 2 1/2" Brit gun that's sub-6#, and the ones you do find will likely be 25-26". But if a little over 6, up to 6 1/4 is OK, there are quite a few more out there. My Lancaster SLE, 28", is just a bit under 6 1/4.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.