March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (Researcher, Ian Forrester, Jimmy W, damascus, Roundsworth, 1 invisible), 660 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,376
Posts544,025
Members14,391
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

To those of you out there who load their own black powder shotshells. Do you prefer a cooler or hotter primer?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Makes absolutely no difference whatsoever. Use anything that will light the stuff. Seriously.

When an old man dies a library burns to the ground. (Old African proverb)
Sidelock
Sidelock

Primers are the last item on my list of concerns.

I have used Winchester 209s in both plastic and paper shells. There are lessons to be learned. Primers were not the problem. Basically, blackpowder is hard on stuff. Paper hulls burn through in a load or two. Plastic, on the other hand, doesn't burn through - it just melts. Don't use anything plastic around blackpowder.

The tougher element is wads and lubes. I'm still trying stuff. There are a lot of variables that include the span of time between loading and shooting, and how much shooting is done and over how many hours. Do a web search, find some homemade concoction you think you can whip up in or around the house without getting thrown out, and just wade in.

Oh, primers. I forgot the thread. Nowadays I use some righteous brass hulls powered by pistol primers. Works great.

Sidelock
Sidelock

What ever primer(s) you happen to have will work.

When I was still shooting quite a lot of BP Substitute in shotshells,,I found that the Remington black promo hull (Gun Club??) won't melt when using them.
At least they didn't then,,maybe they've changed plastics since.
Any other plastic shotshell hull I tried melted and made a mess including the Remington Green plastic hulls.

I never tried it with real BP to see if it can stand up to it and not melt when fired with it, but it may be worth a few rounds to see.
They are usually for the picking around the skeet and clays courses.

They would take 3 or 4 loadings before the inside of the mouth of the case was just burnt and charred for lack of a better description and I'd pitch 'em at that point.

Federal paper cases would last 2 loadings usually before pin-holes would appear just above the brass.
Then I ran out of Federal paper cases anyway and looked for cheap substitute and found the Remington case.

I never found a plastic wad that wouldn't melt using one of the sub BPs. It was always card and fiber wads. I'd find them at gunshows usually. Old stocks of Federal and Winchester for the most part and generally cheap.

Boxlock
Boxlock

I prefer the cheapo federal target load hulls with the paper base wad, they tend to hold up pretty well. I haven't had any issues with them melting, but I still only use them for one loading. I can get hundreds of them from the club I shoot at for free, and they take a roll crimp pretty well. I've used CCI 209s and 209M's, both with great results. Echoing previous responses, black is pretty easy to ignite, and as long as it works, it'll go bang.

Sidelock
Sidelock

In response to Kutter, if you put a card wad under the plastic shot cup, it eliminates the melting problem.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Lorne
In response to Kutter, if you put a card wad under the plastic shot cup, it eliminates the melting problem.

Yes, good point. That'll keep the plastic wad from feeling most all the heat of the BP ignition and avoid it melting down on you.
But I was trying to find a quick & simple(?) one piece plastic substitute wad instead of using any card or fibre at all.

A couple people said to try those plastic wads exclusively used in loading steel shot,,but I never did get around to it.
Maybe they were just guessing they'd work,,,maybe they were on to something,,don't know..

I was most likely looking for a solution to a non-existing problem as I had/have plenty of card & fibre wads and didn't load anywhere near the volume of shells w/them that I really needed anything to speed things along.
Finding a hull that didn't melt with the BP sub helped though.

Makes me want to dig the stuff out and load a couple boxes for skeet next week.
Excellent fun w/the Model 97.

Boxlock
Boxlock

Just a question, what are your preferred light loads for 12 gauge? I've been using 40 grains goex FFg and 7/8 oz 7 1/2 shot for targets and small game and they seem to be working fairly well.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Try 2 1/4 to 2 1/2 drams of BP. With black we don't talk in grains. Bulk load it using a measure marked off in drams.

When an old man dies a library burns to the ground. (Old African proverb)
Sidelock
Sidelock

Whatever scoop measure you use for the shot (7/8oz,,1 oz,,ect),,use that same scoop measure for the BP.
It's a volume for volume load and is a very good starting load for shot guns wether cartridge or muzzle loader.

One dram is 27.something grains.
Mr Internet will undoubtedly get you the precise answer,,27.3gr sounds about right.
Then you can weigh out your volume of powder the scoop holds in grains and convert drams,,if that means anything to you.
It's still one scoop of powder under one scoop of shot, with a card and a fiber wad(s) inbetween. An overshot wad depending on the loading.
Have fun..

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.